Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

Memphis Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 09:29 PM
theologian
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memphis Drivers

Today I saw madness on the roads again here in Memphis. On my way home just after 7 pm, I took the Walnut Grove exit east, from I240, and drove in pouring rain to the scene of a wreck, 3 vehicles involved caused by people not slowing down for torrential rain. I was in the truck, good and high up, and could not see the vehicle in front of me, for the rain and spray. People were flying past me, like I was standing still. They couln see no better than I could, so the inevitable happened. Crazy - every time it rains here, people have way more wrecks.. Every day I see the driving here getting worse, I get cut off, forced over, tailgated, almost rammed, and given the finger daily, I have abandoned the speed limit - It is not safe to drive at 55 on I240, you will get hit in the rear by some idiot doing 80. If there is a delay, they (the idiots) drive on the median, or on the grass next to the shoulder, because they can't use the shoulder, the Semis are driving on that. EEEEEEEEKK!! it is crazy.

Don't these people care????

Wm
'96 F450 White with Grey interior Crew Cab. Banks Turbo, Intercooler and Exhaust,
Power pack Chip, shift kit, Auxiliary transmission, electronic enhanced transmission control,
16 forward and 4 reverse ratios. 340hp 660ft lb 4 wheel drive, 4.10 gears, 12,ooo# winch

Old 08-13-2002, 09:46 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Memphis Drivers

I actually had to look on a map to see where 240 was (it's been that long).

It's almost always the beltways around major cities, or expressways through them that are the worst driving around.

It's where locals meet inexperienced travellers, while big rig drivers switch on a system the military has designated the ID-10-Tango Search RADAR Set (or ID10T Locater, for short).

I think most locals that deal with rush hour traffic on city streets look at the interstate as a personal Indianapolis Speedway, and since out of towners tend to be totally unaware of local driving conditions we end up with accident soup -

"Speed Racer" versus "Schlepperock" (the guy from the old cartoon that always had his own personal raincloud above him).

The bad part about Norfolk Virginia is that there are not that many ways out of the city, most of which are "Bridge Tunnels" that have not been widened in years. Add to that the Great Dismal Swamp along it's southern borders, and the ocean to the east, and we have a city that continually attempts to expand and attract even more people that has nowhere to expand TO.

I'll be so glad to leave here in a few weeks/months. I just hope it doesn't get messed up somehow.

~Wolf

Old 08-15-2002, 08:45 PM
theologian
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memphis Drivers