1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Foam patterns/designs for under the headliner or door panel fabric

Old 11-03-2009, 12:06 PM
medicpg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about to upholster the interior of my 1954 F100 and I was curious if anyone knew where I could get Foam patterns that go under the fabric.

I saw some online a while ago, there was a Ford Logo in Foam that went either under the door Panel or headliner Fabric and looked really nice once the fabric goes on.....but I forgot to bookmark it.

Anyone know where I can get them, or what they are called?

Old 11-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Zitro
Freshman User
Foam patterns/designs

I this what you had in mind?
"rodfoam emblems"
RodDoors Custom Car Interior Systems & Componets

They also sell the foam to cut your own design.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:53 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I think Mid Fifty once carried them (they may have been vacuum formed ABS plastic). CheckTheir catalog to see if they still list them. Rigid plastic or even jigsawed out 1/4" hardboard would work better than foam IMHO. You need something solid enough to be able to work the glue coated material over and around. Be sure you use the right material to cover the panels. Upholstery fabric usually comes in two versions, with and without a coated back. The coated back is to prevent stretching and is meant for seating etc so it doesn't get baggy after a while. The uncoated is meant for areas where the fabric is stretched and pulled over a contoured surface so it can follow the form without puckering or wrinkling. You can check which you have by testing the stretch, pull the fabric in opposite directions, coated will not stretch, uncoated will. It would be near impossible to get the coated fabric to cover something like a raised logo with out tons of wrinkles and/or bridging over recesses. If you have a very stretchy fabric you might be able to use a very firm dense foam for the logo and panel behind it. after gluing the logo in place to the backing foam (which has been glued to the backer board), cut the backing foam all around it down to the backer board with a very sharp thin blade like an exacto knife. Cut only once, any double cuts will make a mess.
Always start covering with the logo. Glue the back of the fabric and lay it over the logo. DO NOT stretch it! work the fabric down into the cuts around the logo with a smooth rounded tool like a bondo spreader or a tongue depressor stick, working from the center outwards, stretching just enough to eliminate wrinkles. This is likely to require a helper to hold up the excess fabric to keep it from sticking before you are ready for it to do so.
After you have the logo area completely covered to your satisfaction. Apply glue to the rest of the panel and pull the fabric into place stretching only enough to eliminate wrinkles and have the fabric lay smooth. Finally glue and wrap the fabric around the edges onto the back of the panel and trim to lay smooth and flat.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:00 PM
medicpg
Senior User

Those are the Logo's I was thinking of, and thats some great tips on applying them. Thank you both for that info!!