Need advice on pinion seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 06:09 PM
jade79
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Need advice on pinion seal replacement

Hello,
I have a friend who has a 2003 Ranger 4wd and needs help replacing a leaky pinion seal on the front differential. I'm new to Rangers, but know my way around other Fords and Chevys.
I'm concerned about disturbing the pinion bearing preload and getting it reset correctly. I have no clue what type if dif it has in it, but the parts stores are only listing one part number for the seal. The shop manual has no information on replacing the seal or setting pinion bearing preload.
Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Here's what my '98 Ford Manual says:

SECTION 205-03: Front Drive Axle/Differential — Dana 35

Drive Pinion Seal

Special Tool(s)

- 2-Jaw Puller

- Companion Flange Holding Tool

- Converter Oil Seal Remover

- Pinion Seal Replacer

Removal

CAUTION: This operation disturbs the differential pinion bearing preload. Carefully reset the preload during assembly.

1. Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .

2. Index-mark the front driveshaft and pinion flange.

3. Disconnect the front driveshaft from the pinion flange, and position it aside.
- Remove the bolts and the universal joint spider retainers.
- Disconnect the front driveshaft from the pinion flange.
- Position the front driveshaft aside.

4. Measure the pinion bearing preload.
- Using a Nm (inch-pound) torque wrench, measure the torque required to maintain pinion rotation. Record the measurement.

5. Index-mark the pinion flange and the pinion stem.

6. Use the Companion Flange Holding Tool to hold the pinion flange while removing the nut.

CAUTION: Place a drain pan under the differential housing.

7. Using the 2-Jaw Puller , remove the pinion flange.

8. Inspect the pinion flange for burrs and damage. Inspect the end of the pinion flange that contacts the bearing cone, the nut counterbore, and the seal surface for nicks. Discard the pinion flange as necessary.

9. Using the Converter Oil Seal Remover and a suitable impact slide hammer, remove the pinion seal.

10. Remove the front axle drive pinion shaft oil slinger and the differential pinion bearing.

11. Remove and discard the collapsible spacer.

Installation

1. Verify that the splines on the pinion stem are free of burrs. If burrs are evident, remove them with a fine crocus cloth. Work in a rotating motion to wipe the pinion clean.

2. Clean the pinion seal bore.

3. Install a new collapsible spacer.

4. Install the original differential pinion bearing and the front axle drive pinion shaft oil slinger.

5. Lubricate the pinion seal.
- Use Motorcraft SAE 80W90 Thermally Stable 4x4 Axle Lubricant meeting Ford specification WSP-M2C197-A.

6. Using the Pinion Seal Replacer install the pinion seal.

7. Lubricate the pinion flange splines.
- Use Motorcraft SAE 80W90 Thermally Stable 4x4 Axle Lubricant meeting Ford specification WSP-M2C197-A.

CAUTION: Never use a metal hammer on the pinion flange or install the flange with power tools. If necessary, use a plastic hammer to tap on a tight fitting flange.

8. Align the index marks and install the pinion flange.

9. Install the new nut hand-tight.

CAUTION: Do not loosen the nut to reduce preload. Install a new collapsible spacer and nut if preload reduction is necessary.

10. Use the Companion Flange Holding Tool to hold the pinion flange while tightening the nut to set the preload.
- Tighten the nut, rotating the pinion occasionally to ensure the differential pinion bearings are seating correctly. Take frequent differential pinion bearing preload readings by rotating the pinion with a Nm (inch-pound) torque wrench. The final reading must be 0.56 Nm (5 lb-in) more than the initial reading taken during removal.

11. Align the index marks and position the front driveshaft.

12. Install the universal joint spider retainers and bolts.

13. Check the fluid level and, if necessary, fill the axle to specification.
Use Motorcraft SAE 80W90 Thermally Stable 4x4 Axle Lubricant meeting Ford specification WSP-M2C197-A.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:25 PM
jade79
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post that reply. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'm guessing the 98 and 03 would be very similar as far as the preload specs go?