Transit Connect 2010+ Ford Transit Connect

So when is the real Transit coming to the states?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 06:03 PM
Knox
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So when is the real Transit coming to the states?

When is the real transit coming to our shores?
we have the baby one but what we need is the real one
Overview link to UK Ford

the mercedes sprinter is based off of it and look how well thats going

Old 10-31-2009, 06:42 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Knox
When is the real transit coming to our shores?
we have the baby one but what we need is the real one
Overview link to UK Ford

the mercedes sprinter is based off of it and look how well thats going
The big Transit is nice, but they sold 166,000 Sprinters in 2008, to the world. That number is smaller than the number of Econolines sold in the US in 2007. (2008 Econoline sales were 125,000 in 2008, but I'll bet that far exceeded Sprinter sales here.)

So who will buy the big Transit and what will that do to Econoline sales? I can see it taking over in a few years, but I doubt Ford is in any rush right now. Let's see how TC sales go.

George

Old 10-31-2009, 10:12 PM
Knox
Senior User
they could always make the transit the new econoline

Old 11-12-2010, 03:13 PM
edwardlloyd
Junior User
Originally Posted by Knox
they could always make the transit the new econoline
A much better truck, but it'd be more expensive too. The Econoline is 70ies technology, the Transit 21st century. If Ford really want to win the sales battle they need this soldier too.
Ed

Old 06-26-2011, 11:35 AM
edwardlloyd
Junior User
Well I was speaking to a senior sales executive a couple of months ago and he said the new 2012 Transit will also replace the Econoline in the US. So I'd say sometime in 2012.
Ed

Old 07-15-2011, 07:18 AM
bent-1
More Turbo
Received 165 Likes on 105 Posts
Will Ford have a diesel option in the Connect or Fullsize Transit?

Old 07-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Bobs65F600
Junior User
The Sprinter is based off of it? I'm confused. The Sprinters sold here have either Mercedes, Freightliner, or Dodge badging (a holdover from DaimlerChrysler). None of that says "Ford" to me. Help me out....

That said, I've seen Transits in Europe made into cargo vans, passenger vans, cab-and-chassis models with separate beds of all kinds, and cutaways with pass-throughs to the cargo box. It seemed pretty versatile to me.

Oh, and the picture...LOVE the color!

Old 07-19-2011, 07:56 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
The Ford Transit is not related to the Sprinter in any way other than being a modern van designed for the Euro market.

I'm guessing that the biggest problem in adapting it to the US market is going to be drivetrains. The standard drivetrains in Europe are 4 cylinder diesels, and I don't think that is going to work in the US.

It would be fun to see something different on the road, from an American automaker. I'm guessing they would continue to build Econolines at least in cab/chassis form for a while, given the huge aftermarket industry that is tied to the shapes and dimensions of the current platform.

George

Old 07-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Bobs65F600
Junior User
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
It would be fun to see something different on the road, from an American automaker. I'm guessing they would continue to build Econolines at least in cab/chassis form for a while, given the huge aftermarket industry that is tied to the shapes and dimensions of the current platform.

George
Chevy changed their vans, and so did Dodge (with the Sprinter). I'd guess the aftermarket folks would adjust and the Econoline would go the way of the old Econolines.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:42 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Bobs65F600
Chevy changed their vans, and so did Dodge (with the Sprinter). I'd guess the aftermarket folks would adjust and the Econoline would go the way of the old Econolines.
Yes, if they were forced to lose the Econoline, they would adapt. However, in this economy, I'm guessing that many mfrs might have a very hard financial time retooling their equipment and processes to a new van design. I know most of the van conversion companies are gone but there is a big commercial market.

There is also the new Nissan van--don't know much about that one. I'd bet very little market penetration for that one.

I may have even mentioned this thread that US sales of the Econoline exceed worldwide sales of the Sprinter. Sounds to me like the Econoline is a cash cow given the long paid-for tooling and assy. lines. And I don't know if it's going to make sense to use the new big Transit for the front of long buses and motorhomes done on the E450 kinds of chassis...will there be enough room for the kind of power this will take?

The Savana came out in 1996 (and I bought a new 1996 Savana which was the Van from Hell), and that was a better economic time. So aftermarket mfrs did adapt for the most part back then, but Ford vans outsell Chevy/GMC combined, I believe.

Take care, good discussion
George

Old 10-05-2011, 06:23 PM
philofab
Junior User
I would never even consider one of these until there is a diesel option.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:41 AM
artfd
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Ford to make Transit van at plant near Kansas City

Published at detnews.com 21 Oct 2011:
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Ford Motor Co. confirmed its plan to build a North American version of its popular European commercial Transit van on Friday, saying it would spend $1.1 billion on upgrading its Claycomo plant to build the new model. Ford said its current sport-utility line at Claycomo will be idled after the current Escape model is phased out in April. The line will re-open in 2013.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Ponyguy
Junior User
Ford set to build Full-size Transit Van in Claycomo (Kansas City) assembly plant

"KANSAS CITY, Mo., Oct. 21, 2011 – Ford Motor Company today confirmed Kansas City Assembly Plant workers will build its full-size Transit van – Europe’s best-selling commercial vehicle – when the new product joins its North American lineup in 2013.

This is another example of the company’s One Ford strategy to serve customers with world-class vehicles and leverage global assets, including common platforms, and brings new jobs to greater Kansas City.

<snip>

Ford’s current commercial van, the Ford E-Series, is built at the company’s Ohio Assembly Plant in Avon Lake, Ohio. Certain E-Series body styles will continue to be available through most of the decade, even after the Kansas City-built Transit goes on sale."
So, the full-size Transit Van (Think Dodge/Mercedes "Sprinter") will supersede the E-van... except for cutaways and RV conversions, probably...

Old 11-19-2011, 11:38 PM
Kike Miami
New User
I think that a small powertrain will actually work, I understand Sprinters sold less that Econolines, but price is about double! nowadays a MB Sprinter retails for about $38,000 far away from my budget. If similar van becomes available for a price similar to econolines i most likely to buy that one.

I currently own a old Windstar, and it works for me because I drive at least 100 miles daily, 6 days a week, it is a small truck, but at 20 mpg, saves me a lot of money when I compare with a full size, if this Transit brings the 2.4 diesel matched with a standard transmission will easily go over 25 or even 30 mpg, i would definitely buy it, once again, if price is below 30k.

The american idea of big engines more power more cargo is not realistic, most of us never reach to cargo capacity of our vehicles, and for those that do it, read the specs of a sprinter van, and you´ll be blown away on cargo capacity either by volume and/or weight. There is also more models that I would love to see here in US, like a pick up version on the Transit Connect, like the Mexican Ford Courier, (focus based, i believe) small 1.6 gas engine, about 1500 pounds cargo, and about 40 mpg (no hybrid).

We need to have more options in the US, not everyone needs a dually to go to work, if you do, good for you, but honestly, there is more options out there, in Europe there is no pick ups, or they existence is limited, and everyone build houses, move boats, and take tile and bricks etc. etc. etc.

Originally Posted by YoGeorge
The Ford Transit is not related to the Sprinter in any way other than being a modern van designed for the Euro market.

I'm guessing that the biggest problem in adapting it to the US market is going to be drivetrains. The standard drivetrains in Europe are 4 cylinder diesels, and I don't think that is going to work in the US.

George

Old 11-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Van Diemen
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kike Miami
I think that a small powertrain will actually work, I understand Sprinters sold less that Econolines, but price is about double! nowadays a MB Sprinter retails for about $38,000 far away from my budget. If similar van becomes available for a price similar to econolines i most likely to buy that one.

I currently own a old Windstar, and it works for me because I drive at least 100 miles daily, 6 days a week, it is a small truck, but at 20 mpg, saves me a lot of money when I compare with a full size, if this Transit brings the 2.4 diesel matched with a standard transmission will easily go over 25 or even 30 mpg, i would definitely buy it, once again, if price is below 30k.

The american idea of big engines more power more cargo is not realistic, most of us never reach to cargo capacity of our vehicles, and for those that do it, read the specs of a sprinter van, and you´ll be blown away on cargo capacity either by volume and/or weight. There is also more models that I would love to see here in US, like a pick up version on the Transit Connect, like the Mexican Ford Courier, (focus based, i believe) small 1.6 gas engine, about 1500 pounds cargo, and about 40 mpg (no hybrid).

We need to have more options in the US, not everyone needs a dually to go to work, if you do, good for you, but honestly, there is more options out there, in Europe there is no pick ups, or they existence is limited, and everyone build houses, move boats, and take tile and bricks etc. etc. etc.
My thought too. I have a tile installation biz and only need a vehicle to carry hand tools, a wetsaw, and supplies. The current Transit Connect is as good as I could find here in the States for our needs so I just bought one last week.
24-25 mpg is good enough for me. Got 24.2mpg on the first tank mixed city/hwy driving. Drive 32-33k miles/year and my daily driver has been an '06 F-350 diesel getting 13-14mpg. Impractical when 19 out of 20 days the TC is all that is needed. And the maintinance savings should add up as well. So the oil burning beast will sit all but 1-2 days a month when hauling heavy is called for.

Quick Reply: So when is the real Transit coming to the states?