Print Wikipost

Installing an aftermarket backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 02:08 AM
Brute
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing an aftermarket backup camera

I have an 09 XLT screw with auto-dim rear view mirror, and it has some kind of wire at the back of the mirror and I'm guessing that is for the back-up camera (if I had one) and/or the auto-dim feature.

My friend has a back-up camera that came with his ?Jensen? dvd player, my question is would this work with the F-150 and does my mirror have the little back-up screen since it has a wire going to it?

Thanks!

Old 10-30-2009, 07:09 AM
aliasmax
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Brute
I have an 09 XLT screw with auto-dim rear view mirror, and it has some kind of wire at the back of the mirror and I'm guessing that is for the back-up camera (if I had one) and/or the auto-dim feature.

My friend has a back-up camera that came with his ?Jensen? dvd player, my question is would this work with the F-150 and does my mirror have the little back-up screen since it has a wire going to it?

Thanks!
No, the wires for the backup camera are not to the mirror. No your mirror does not have the lcd screen in it. To put the backup camera setup in your truck (if it did not come stock with it) is to buy the mirror, rear camera, the front wiring harness and the rear wiring harness. I just bought the camera and mirror off of ebay and the wiring harness from tasca. In all i have $430 in all the parts. This weekend comes the job of puting it in.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:11 PM
BulletBob
Junior User
Although I did not hook up a rear-view camera on ours, my Pioneer aftermarket stereo has the capability. I have a few friends who bought aftermarket stereos and had a rear-veiw camera hooked up. It does not show up on your rear-view mirror but on the stereo LCD, just like the trucks that have factory NAV.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:09 PM
aliasmax
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Brute

Thanks!
If you decide to put the OEM camera and mirror in Look up Tasca ford parts on the web. Give them a call and ask for Dominic. He is the expert of ford OEM cameras. He can get you the front and rear wiring harness's at a good price.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:24 AM
fm_mustang
New User
Were you sucessful in installing the OEM backup camera

Does anyone know if an OEM F150 backup camera can be added to a 2010 truck when it wasn't originally equipped. After telling me he could add an OEM and charging me $725 for the privileged, my dealer just added an aftermarket POS backup camera that is mounted to the license plate holder. He also broke my front windshield when changing the rear view mirror. I'm pissed. If anyone can tell me for sure that an OEM can be added I'm going to make him replace the POS with the OEM. The POS picture is crap and does not have the over layed lines to help when parking. In addition since it's mounted on the license plate, it is worthless at night because the license plate lights create a glare that blocks everything else out. Can anyone help?

Old 01-27-2010, 05:32 AM
Spindoctor
Junior User
I think you'll find that the resolution and image quality will not be all that great even with the OEM system, but to answer your question, yes it is possible but with a fair amount of work. The rear camera is in the Ford badge and hence away from any light source. I found a guy here with a flood-damaged 09 fully loaded F150 with the rear camera system. I'm trying to talk him into putting it in my 2010. I'd be pissed about the windshield....oh man...on a new truck too.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:06 AM
fm_mustang
New User
Let me know if you get it working

Thanks spindoctor.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:41 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fm_mustang
Does anyone know if an OEM F150 backup camera can be added to a 2010 truck when it wasn't originally equipped. After telling me he could add an OEM and charging me $725 for the privileged, my dealer just added an aftermarket POS backup camera that is mounted to the license plate holder. He also broke my front windshield when changing the rear view mirror. I'm pissed. If anyone can tell me for sure that an OEM can be added I'm going to make him replace the POS with the OEM. The POS picture is crap and does not have the over layed lines to help when parking. In addition since it's mounted on the license plate, it is worthless at night because the license plate lights create a glare that blocks everything else out. Can anyone help?

Wow. $725 for a $99 camera. Man, go back and give them hell.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Bucky Badger
New User
Originally Posted by aliasmax
No, the wires for the backup camera are not to the mirror. No your mirror does not have the lcd screen in it. To put the backup camera setup in your truck (if it did not come stock with it) is to buy the mirror, rear camera, the front wiring harness and the rear wiring harness. I just bought the camera and mirror off of ebay and the wiring harness from tasca. In all i have $430 in all the parts. This weekend comes the job of puting it in.
Could you keep us updated, with lots of pics for us who will eventually do this? Thanks. I'd like to see what the parts look like too.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:26 PM
delirious
New User
Originally Posted by aliasmax
If you decide to put the OEM camera and mirror in Look up Tasca ford parts on the web. Give them a call and ask for Dominic. He is the expert of ford OEM cameras. He can get you the front and rear wiring harness's at a good price.
How did your installation go. Sorry to dig up this old post