Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Senior User

morimoto_87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Windshield Wiper Switch? Or Relay?

My wipers have been acting up since a few months ago when i got on a bumpy old muddy road at the farm..I was cruising through a pasture and took a few good bumps and my wiper switch started on fire filling the cab with smoke so i ripped the cover panel off as fast as i could and cut the ground wire, went to the junkyard and got a good switch, installed it and all was fine except the intermediates....They work on and off, some days they work for about 10 minutes and they stop half way in the windshield and i have to use the full time switch to take them off....when i use the full time wiper selection and go to shut them off they stop where they are...they don't end the sequence at the bottom of the windsheild. Is this possibly a relay? It also started clicking once every rotation on the firewall just today? what could this be?
1991 F250 with a bignasty 7.3 IDI E4OD, 3:55's, 285/75/16 UNIROYAL RADIALS

2002 Chebby Trailblazer LTZ
Old 10-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Postmaster

rupejosh has a very good reputation on FTE.rupejosh has a very good reputation on FTE.rupejosh has a very good reputation on FTE.
ill bet you the plug is just loose or worn mine does that from time to time all i do is unplug the wiper motor and plug it back in
Old 10-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Senior User

I will give it a shot...i have to go to Minnesota tomorrow so it'd be in my best interest to have them working as it'll be raining up there and that horrible screeching noise from the wipers on a partially dry windshield on high speed mode is annoying as H#LL

Old 10-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Senior User

Alright, tried unplugging and plugging in the motor connections and still does it...cleaned them too...still the same...any other ideas?

Old 10-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Post Fiend

PLC7.3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I think your wiper relay is down by the park brake, follow the wire from the switch....... I could be wrong.

Old post saved......
After viewing several posts on wiper problems I decided to tackle the "black box" wiper delay control under the dash. After I got the thing out , unplugged, and in my hand I pulled it apart as described in other posts and I found just what I was told I would find, broken solder joints (3) connecting what appears to be a switch/relay mounted on a sheet metal "platform" with 2 "wings" (heat sinks?). The 3 jounts connect the switch and the 2 legs of the "platform" to the circuit board. I re-soldered the connections, flipped the board over and then used JB weld to glue the legs of the "platform" down to the board and used a big dab to glue the side of the platform to the side/end of the black "cube" which sits next to the platform on the board. This glue job will help the platform stay in place under vibration better than the weak solder joints in the stock set up(I hope). Hard to describe but if you open the box (2 screws) you will see what I am describing pretty clearly. I re-assembled the board in to the box, reversed the metal mounting bracket (used same holes in box and bracket but rotated it 180 deg.) Then re-mounted the unit under the dash in a place well away from vibration (I hope). I used a rubber washer (made from an inner tube) between the truck and the mounting bracket this should keep vibration down (I hope). I now have two (2) constant speeds: slow and " a little faster", and I also have my intermittent settings back
Old 10-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Posting Guru

archangel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine does the same thing and if I rotate or tap the switch, it starts working again so if either happens with you I would say swap out the switch.

That "fire and smoke under the dash" thing is something I experienced once on an older 460 powered F350 work truck.

I just cut the melting wire (after dragging everything out of it that was mine) and it stopped!
The funny thing is that I could not see anything different as everything electrical still worked!
It had a verified 19 mpg city taking off slow as hell then shutting it down at red lights, and with the radiator grill blocked flush, no bed cover, "drag shoot" mirrors still on I got 24 mpg at 50 to 55 mph on the freeway empty!
Old 10-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Senior User

Okay, so i'll check out the "BLACK BOX" first and see if thats all intact, and if so then i'll splurge and get the new switch...i appreciate all the help! I'll post back and let yall know what i find.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:33 PM
New User

Dixiesweep is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 91 F150 does the same thing. I replaced the switch and it still does it. I am going to try the black box trick..sounds like that is both or our problems..good luck with yours Joe
Old 11-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Senior User

9473 is starting off with a positive reputation.
When mine had that problem it was hiding in plain sight and an aggravating ordeal checking everything. One of the wires going into the wiper motor was corroded and making intermittent and/or poor contact and heating up. If I recall there are three going into it. Easy enough to check anyway. Good luck.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:25 PM
New User

Dixiesweep is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok thanks man, i will check that too
Old 11-30-2009, 06:25 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)

Tags
250, 91, f150, f250, ford, half, motor, relay, stop, switch, truck, windsheild, windshield, wiper, wipers