1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody running a Bully Dog GT Tuner on there 5.4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Robs06SuperDuty
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody running a Bully Dog GT Tuner on there 5.4?

is anybody using a Bully Dog Triple Dog GT tuner for there gasser? Im having problems getting mine to work right, getting fed up with it. Called Bully Dog and there about useless. damn it.

rant off...

Old 10-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What kind of problems are you experiencing? Can you get a refund?

Old 10-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Robs06SuperDuty
Elder User
Yeah worse case scenario I can get a refund, the GT Tuner will display any 4 vehicle parameters at a time... well I chose RPM, SPEED, TEMP and VOLTS... Speed doesnt register at alll, and RPM is way the fark off i.e. say engine is at 1500 rpms on stock tach, the GT displays it as 353 or some other stupid number. Ive tried to adjust the calibrators for RPM's and Speed with no luck.... Also Anytime I put a different tune on my truck (Stock OEM, 87 Performance and 91 Performance) the trans acts retarded as hell. from a dead stop ill go to take off and it'll act like the trans is in 4th or 5th gear for about 50 yards, then it downshifts a few gears once you get around 15-20 mph and then its fine. If im just sittin there in park and revving the engine its fine, it runs its *** offf in performance 91 tune. Also in the tuner, there isnt half the adjustments on this thing as the book says, like for tire size etc etc.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Wow... that's quite a few problems. Maybe it's a firmware issue. Can you download the latest firmware from Bully Dog's website?

Old 10-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Robs06SuperDuty
Elder User
I have the update agent, but when I plug the Box into the USB it doesnt bring up the update agent, another screen pops up with a bunch of files on it... As for the tranns problems theres a re-learning process I need to do. I put the GT back on my truck and I called Bully Dog AGAIN, and asked about the tire size changes they said it should be on there, welll its not. my RPM and Speedo Still dont work right. so im calling them again... wtf.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Well, I recommend requesting a new GT tuner and see if it works properly. If the new GT tuner does not work properly, then I would get a refund.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Robs06SuperDuty
Elder User
After talking to Chris at Bully Dog he said I have a bad file, and it was not loaded right from factory. Thats why I dont have half the stuff im supposed to, So he emailed me a new file to put in it which im getting ready to do now... I hope this works...

Old 10-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Excellent! Let us know what you think about the GT tuner!

Old 10-30-2009, 01:28 AM
Robs06SuperDuty
Elder User
Well I got the old file outta the GT and new file transfered over... now im just waiting on Daylight to go mess with it. this thing has really frustrated me. If this doesnt work im either gonna send it back and get a Triple Dog Downloader, send it back and say Eff it or look at SCT Tunes....

Old 10-30-2009, 01:37 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day...

Old 10-30-2009, 01:52 AM
Robs06SuperDuty
Elder User
yeah your telling me, I work nightshift and get off work at 2 am so after I got off yesterday morning I stayed up and planned on going hunting, that didnt happen, later went to my buddys house and got the GT and did the Install, then all that crap happened with it, I went home around 12 to get something to eat before work, get a shower etc etc, Fell asleep unintentionally at like 1, woke up at 4:30, supposed to be at work by 3:30 so I called my Super and told him I wouldnt be in, and sorry i couldnt call sooner, he seemed fine with it since were not busy(first time calling out in almost 2 years), and then messing with the GT more just ran the rest of my night into the craptank.

love it when a plan comes together....

mind giving me some info on your SCT andrew?

Old 10-30-2009, 02:29 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
I purchased the SCT Livewire with custom tunes from Mike at 5 Star Tuning. I ordered mine with the following tunes:

89 Octane - Economy
91 Octane - Towing
93 Octane - Performance

I uploaded the 93 octane performance tune when it arrived and it definitely woke up the 5.4L engine. I'm getting an average of 12.8 MPG with mixed city/highway driving. I haven't tried the other tunes. However, I really would like to try the 89 octane economy tune on a road trip just to see what MPG's can be achieved.

I haven't adjusted any of the available parameters nor have I mounted the tuner in the cab of the truck. I ordered the California mount so that I can mount the tuner somewhere on the dash as opposed to the window. When I purchased the tuner, Mike was offering a free EGT sensor kit as well. So my plan is to really play with the parameters once I get my new exhaust system installed.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:37 AM
Robs06SuperDuty
Elder User
how does the livewire hook up to the truck? OBDII and a power lead wire? thats how this Bully Dogshiit hooks up. did you have to mess with "relearning" the trans after you uploaded the 93 oct. performance tune? have you had any trouble/problems with it? How much did your wallet hate you after you bought it?

Old 10-30-2009, 03:02 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Originally Posted by Robs06SuperDuty
how does the livewire hook up to the truck? OBDII and a power lead wire? thats how this Bully Dogshiit hooks up. did you have to mess with "relearning" the trans after you uploaded the 93 oct. performance tune? have you had any trouble/problems with it? How much did your wallet hate you after you bought it?
It hooks up to the OBDII port only. First, I had my PCM re-flashed by the dealership. Then I drove the truck for 2 days before uploading the SCT tune. I'm sure that there was a re-learning period but it was not evident to me. The only issue that I've had is the tuner will not display diagnostic error codes. I contacted Mike and he recommended downloading the latest firmware, which I haven't done yet. I know, I'm lazy... I'll send a PM on the price that I paid for the package.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:10 AM
Robs06SuperDuty
Elder User
if you would've had to relearn your trans you'd know it, my truck acted like it was stuck in 5th gear with the ebrake on when taking off from a stop then eventually it would downshift a few times. then after 35/40 mph it was fine. I did have one episode with the 91 oct. tune I floor matted doing like 50 truck fell on its face check engine light flashed I let off and it was fine. after that I put it back to stock.

Quick Reply: Anybody running a Bully Dog GT Tuner on there 5.4?