Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-29-2009, 10:56 AM
New User

TES is starting off with a positive reputation.
Emergency Fuel Shutoff Question

I have a 2002 F-150 5.4L that is a second truck and has only 16,000 miles.
I live 30 mi. S. of Atlanta and had to go 30mi. N. of Atlanta to carry my wife to
the hospital for test. We stopped at the Varsity on the way back in Atlanta.
Truck has been running fine since I bought it new. We went inside and ate. 30 min.
later got in truck to start home, turn key, engine turns over but would not start.
Waited 5 mins. tried again same results. After a few tries, never did fire off. popped hood. Stranded in downtown Atlanta with an ailing wife (very helpless feeling),
nothing amiss, no loose wires, plenty of juice in battery. One in a million chance.
A man walking by saw what I was doing. He worked for a local Ford dealer, said to hit
fuel reset button, he stopped and helped me, checked the valve under the hood while I
turned the switch on, he then pulled the panel on the passenger side and reset the
fuel shutoff. Truck fired up and ran fine all the way home. I thanked him and bought
his lunch.
Question is, What caused my fuel to shutoff and should I have a diagnostic check done.
I don't want to have this happen again, especially if the wife is alone in the truck.
At least now I know where the Schrader valve is and how to reset the fuel shutoff,
thanks to a caring stranger. He saved my bacon.
Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by TES; 10-29-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: addition
Old 10-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Elder User

redwood is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
dianenchrisb redwoodwalker
The emergency fuel shut off switch under the passenger kick panel will pop when it is jarred. It's designed to shut the fuel system off in an accident. If you're worried it might be bad, then I'd replace it. It's easy to get to, and easy to replace. It's called a fuel pump inertia switch at Autozone and it's $30. I don't know what could've made it pop if the truck wasn't bumped, but it's just a push of a button to get it going again...
Old 04-18-2011, 03:25 PM
New User

georay is starting off with a positive reputation.
possible fuel problems

i have a 2006 f 150 4.2 liter yesterday it just quit in costco parking lot it turns over and fires a little bit but it won't run the tow truck guy said maybe fuel filter now i changed the filter but before i did i turned the engine over see if the pump was working and nothing happened so i seen the emergency shut off i pushed the button in still nothing now one question that shut off switch just went in and out didn't click or set is that the way it works? i checked fuses ok ground cables ok so what will cause the fuel pump not to work? or where should i look next?

thanks for the help !!!!
Old 04-18-2011, 03:25 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150

Tags
2001, 2002, 2004, 97, f150, ford, fuel, location, pump, reset, schrader, shut, switch, test, valve