Truck almost impounded!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 09:09 PM
2 stroke man
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck almost impounded!

just had to share!

So i was pulling up to the intersection today. Pulling the 25 foot trailer and the CAT and the track hoe. I get pulled over by a DOT/Vehicle Enforcer who was in the median when i got to the stop light. I pull away when the light turns green. he pulls out behind me, and pulls me over. He asks if i know if the trailer lights are out. I didnt know it, but i had 2 blown fuses. Thats what got me busted. Then he does his inspection:
No trailer license plate (not required with farm tags, but i'm now commercial),
no lights, but do have brakes
no CDL in 38,000 pound commercial truck
NO DOT numbers
only 2 DOT chains on skid steer (should have 4), one had gotten a little loose.

I just knew he was going to ground the truck. we walk back, and inspect the lights, all were plugged in. I told him my age, and that i was trying my best to get legal and get my CDLs and run a legit business. he smiles and says, well in that case get a license plate, and CDL, and DOT numbers, tighten your chain, and turn on the light on your rack since your tail light are out, and promise to fix them ASAP.

with that he told me he could ground the truck and take me away in the cruiser if he wanted, but instead shook my hand and said have a nice day. never checked insurance, didn't even call me in.

Guys, if you ain't legal we need to get that way, cause we could be put under otherwise. I got Lucky and was very blessed, but man i was scared stiff.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:42 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
OUCH!!! you did get lucky!!! DOT around here are getting to the point that they will pull us over for having farm tags just to make sure we aren't using it for "non farm use".. LoL. its getting dumb around here where even if you tell a cop the truth and that you WILL get things straightened out they usually still don't believe you OR even think about caring for that matter. there are a select few that i know that will help you out if they can and i'm lucky to personally know a few of them, but dang the law is comin' down.

Glad you got outta that one OK buddy. Apparently coulda been A LOT worse for you.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:44 PM
2 stroke man
Postmaster
to my surprise KY has automatic $5,000 fine for no CDL in a CDL weight truck. i just got my DOT # online. one step closer to legal! no i have to put commercial tags on the dump truck and HOO DOO (the old 81 F250) and tags on 3 trailers. i feel an expensive trip to the court house coming up!

Old 10-28-2009, 09:47 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah i know there is probably a BIG fine here as well. i just don't know what it is b/c i don't need to drive anything that big YET. i might have to for work if i eventually switch jobs here, but they will put me through the class so no worries there. LoL. you really gotta watch how you drive with a CDL b/c it can get suspended easily if you mess up

Old 10-28-2009, 09:49 PM
B Big
Senior User
WOW you got off easy, with that many violations that truck would have been parked & fined here in Fla.!!!! The FDOT doesn't give anyone a break.

It is nice when you get some mercy & grace from your fellow man.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:00 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
what is the web site to get the dot numbers?

Old 10-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Tell then you already have a CDL.
thats what our current operators licence is.

You have the right to travel. YOu don't need "permission" for it.
The operators licences. oh nevermind.

haha
The law is so strewn.

You guys should all move to WV, if you want something to be Farm use, they just get out a spray can and spray it on the doors and tail gate "farm use"
And its clear of everything from there out.

DOT numbers are a joke. its just a way to get MORE money out of people like 2stroke man here who are trying to make a living.
Should have plate and lights working though chief.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:35 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Explain 'no CDL in 38,000 pound commercial truck'? Does the cat and backhoe weigh that much? Is your truck a commercial truck? How did he weigh you? Sorry about all the questions but I'm curious because when I haul my 42' car hauler and its loaded to the gills I cringe when I go by weight stations. In other words, I don't know the rules pretaining to hauling heavy loads and I should!

Old 10-28-2009, 10:36 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Oh, by the way, your one lucky guy!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:13 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Glenn.
DOT tries to say if your truck is "rated" for a certian weight, you should have DOT numbers.

like all our trucks, in theory, should have DOT numbers on them cause of their load limit.
But that's BS.

I'd cringe too with a load of a few cars on the back.
But I duno what some of the rules are for "private" hauling.

All comes down to states wanting more money for bullcrap.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:31 PM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
You did get off easy. I got pulled over once by the CHP driving a 5 yard dump truck. They went through the truck with a fine tooth comb and I received a bunch of violations. Fortunatly it was my stepdads truck so he had to fix it. I was pretty nervous at the time though.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:28 AM
kawa
Postmaster
I really hate to disagree with my fellow strokers but vehicle laws, especially commercial vehicle code saves lives and property. Agreed we can get caught up in some of the chicken chit minor areas but over all we would be in one hell of a mess without them.

There are many dangerous rigs on the highway that lose there loads, can't stop, can't steer straight, etc, etc. and with the economy as it is it's only going to get more dangerous. JMHO
Rog

Old 10-29-2009, 06:06 AM
2 stroke man
Postmaster
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Explain 'no CDL in 38,000 pound commercial truck'? Does the cat and backhoe weigh that much? Is your truck a commercial truck? How did he weigh you? Sorry about all the questions but I'm curious because when I haul my 42' car hauler and its loaded to the gills I cringe when I go by weight stations. In other words, I don't know the rules pretaining to hauling heavy loads and I should!
truck-estimate 7500-8000 pounds
trailer-7500 pounds
CAT-9500
track hoe-3500
plus miscellaneous chains, pallet forks, extra dirt bucket, tools in bed, ect ect ect.
i was at least 29,000 ish pounds and CDL is 26,000 pounds. he didn't weigh me, but he could tell at a glance i was over 26,000 and had 38,000 tags.

at any rate, you shouldn't need DOT numbers hauling your own trailer for pleasure so long as it is not for hire, and not work related. just like someone with a camper. In KY you could run farm tags (if you farm) or you could run an actual car tag with no set weight on it for personal use. however, farm tags are only good up to 150 miles from either a-your main farm b-over the state line. i have heard both said, and even different DOT officers will tell you different things. but no, you shouldn't need them.

Registration & Assistance: USDOT Number/Operating Authority - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

they assigned mine instantly last night

Old 10-29-2009, 06:35 AM
79_250RangerLariat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to start playing the Lotto!!! I couldn't have gotten away with that many infractions if I tried. I've been eye'd but never pulled over.
The whole Commercial vs pleasure/personal use towing is a big big gray area here. It all depends on who you talk to. Harrisburg will tell you different than the PSP, one trooper will tell you different than another....

Still can't belive you got away with it The last year I had my spare bus (lucky if it saw 50 miles a year) on the road it failed the DOT insp, not because of a mech failure but because the paint wasn't yellow enuf........written warning that had to be corrected or taken out of service. Granted it was 10 yrs old at the time and faded but not any worse than any other older bus on the road....

You really need to play the lotto!!!

Old 10-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
The thing I agree with the most ROG is that people don't tie loads down safely, or properly.
I had a class at farm bureau for this.

Quick Reply: Truck almost impounded!