1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Factory Subwoofer

Old 10-28-2009, 06:40 PM
fprodget
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Subwoofer

I have a 2005 Eddie Bauer model where the original owner ordered the truck with a standard radio with single CD and cassette player. I have found the 6CD audiophile head unit and installed it this evening. It plays well, but now I would like to add the factory subwoofer. While the radio was out, I looked all around for the plug for the subwoofer harness, but did not see it anywhere. I was hoping that Ford put it in even thought optional downgraded radio was provided.

Has anyone added a factory subwoofer setup to their truck and what did you do for a harness to connect it??

does anyone have sources for these parts?

Thanks for your help,

John H
2005 Eddie Bauer Expedition
2008 Honda Civic Hybrid
Lola T640 Formula Ford

Old 01-26-2011, 04:13 PM
"X" Factor
New User
Installing Factory Sub in 2005 Expedition

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I have the factory basic-boogerhead radio with the single CD/Cassette and want to install a factory sub in the rear quarter panel - just like the setup in the Eddie Bauer models.

Has anyone had any success doing this? If so, I would lOVE to hear about it. Thanks!

Old 01-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Londart
Junior User
mtx and jl audio both make a sub that goes in that location complete with an amp...also q logic makes just a box i think....u might just go that route

Old 01-31-2011, 06:51 PM
jmessin5
New User
After the failure of my cd changer and coming to realization that mp3 is the way to go, I threw in an Alpine iXA-W404 head unit in. Alpine iXA-W404 Digital Media Receivers (Mech-Less) - In-Dash Receivers at Onlinecarstereo.com
I spoke to Crutchfields' techs and got great recommendations. I went with Kicker speakers all around including the subwoofer Kicker 08CVT84 Component Car Subwoofers - Car Subwoofers at Onlinecarstereo.com which will work with the Mach System.
I replaced the speakers first and have had no issues. Crutchfields sends the instructions to replace the entire audio system regardless if you buy just 1 set of speakers.
The Alpine unit puts out great power from the head unit alone and if you want to add an amp, it gets concealed in a compartment over the glovebox on the passenger side. The systems will support Navigation, Rear camera, and sattelite audio.
The shubwoofer swap was a minor pain in the ***, but worth the work as the Crutchfield instructions are dead on.

Good luck.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:42 PM
edycri
New User
Subwoofer mod on 2009 Expedition

I did the mod on my 2009 Expedition XLT that came with the 6CD player and no sub. What I did was buying a OEM sub with amp off Ebay that had the end plug off the harness that goes in the sub's amp. I also bought a OEM Ford Navigation and had it programed for my Expedition. It came out of a Ford Five Hundred I believe. Since my car is a base model XLT Ford didn't wired it for Audiophile option so I had to make the harness for the sub and install it in the car. I hooked up the power straight from the battery with a fuse and also replaced the speakers in the rear door which were crappy 25 watts with 50 watts ones out of some ford vehicle (found them on Ebay also). Pretty easy but took some time to make the harness and install it in the car. I can tell it sounds way better than before and now I have real bass in the car.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:24 PM
BeavisTheMighty
New User
Originally Posted by jmessin5
After the failure of my cd changer and coming to realization that mp3 is the way to go, I threw in an Alpine iXA-W404 head unit in. Alpine iXA-W404 Digital Media Receivers (Mech-Less) - In-Dash Receivers at Onlinecarstereo.com
I spoke to Crutchfields' techs and got great recommendations. I went with Kicker speakers all around including the subwoofer Kicker 08CVT84 Component Car Subwoofers - Car Subwoofers at Onlinecarstereo.com which will work with the Mach System.
I replaced the speakers first and have had no issues. Crutchfields sends the instructions to replace the entire audio system regardless if you buy just 1 set of speakers.
The Alpine unit puts out great power from the head unit alone and if you want to add an amp, it gets concealed in a compartment over the glovebox on the passenger side. The systems will support Navigation, Rear camera, and sattelite audio.
The shubwoofer swap was a minor pain in the ***, but worth the work as the Crutchfield instructions are dead on.

Good luck.
THIS is the route to go. In car audio, you get what you pay for, there are no short cuts and compared to a halfway decent aftermarket setup the BEST Ford factory stereo is going to sound like garbage.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:41 PM
5.4T
Elder User
Ok well i got my Subwoofer the other day and it was the same size! but still had to makenew wholes

I just used the original connector

And once it was on there it looked nice!!! also have more room now without the speakerbox i had behind the seat

Old 09-18-2023, 10:33 PM
Switchitup
2nd Gear
Where did u find

Originally Posted by edycri
I did the mod on my 2009 Expedition XLT that came with the 6CD player and no sub. What I did was buying a OEM sub with amp off Ebay that had the end plug off the harness that goes in the sub's amp. I also bought a OEM Ford Navigation and had it programed for my Expedition. It came out of a Ford Five Hundred I believe. Since my car is a base model XLT Ford didn't wired it for Audiophile option so I had to make the harness for the sub and install it in the car. I hooked up the power straight from the battery with a fuse and also replaced the speakers in the rear door which were crappy 25 watts with 50 watts ones out of some ford vehicle (found them on Ebay also). Pretty easy but took some time to make the harness and install it in the car. I can tell it sounds way better than before and now I have real bass in the car.

Hi I hope this gets to u soon but was wondering where u found the sub amp pin inputs wire diagram

​​

Last edited by Switchitup; 09-18-2023 at 10:35 PM. Reason: D