C6 rebuild: adding a lower E40D gear info needed - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



C6 rebuild: adding a lower E40D gear info needed

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-28-2009, 01:15 AM
Mr.N Mr.N is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 104
Mr.N is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question C6 rebuild: adding a lower E40D gear info needed

I've read a few post now, and it seems like a great idea.

Swap the gear out in a C6 of the lower set from a E40D.
However I can't find one good post, or set of pictures showing it being done...
Look for info, the little tips like what parts to grab from the Junkyard.


Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-28-2009, 09:50 AM
bashby's Avatar
bashby bashby is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charles Town, W bygod Va
Posts: 7,357
bashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to all
I've seen a few people on ebay that sell individual trans parts, If you contact them they will probably put together all the parts you need
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-28-2009, 01:33 PM
cartmanea cartmanea is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 6,748
cartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to all
This place probably has anything you need. I've seen lower gear sets on there, not sure if its the same as the E40D gears.

Ford C6 Performance Transmission Parts, C4 Transmission Parts
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Mr.N Mr.N is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 104
Mr.N is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmanea View Post
This place probably has anything you need. I've seen lower gear sets on there, not sure if its the same as the E40D gears.

Ford C6 Performance Transmission Parts, C4 Transmission Parts
I've searched, and can't find it here.


It's been talked about a few times, but not much for details.
Found a dead webpage that had the info, but it's not even in the way back machine for the internet.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-28-2009, 08:54 PM
cartmanea cartmanea is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 6,748
cartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to all
About halfway down the page, uses E40D sun shell, isn't this it?

#9. C-6 lower geared steel forward planet gear with 6 pinion gears. First gear is geared 10% lower and second is geared 5% lower than a stock C-6 (2.71 first, 1.53 second). You get the six pinion steel planet gear, hub, bearing, ring gear and sun gear. Provides drag racers with more acceleration and tow vehicles or motor homes with more pulling power without changing axle ratios. No machining required. Cost $229.00. This kit requires a 1976 up forward clutch drum, if needed $49.00 #1XXX. It also requires an E4OD sun shell, Cost $16.00 if needed. It will require the use of at least one more thrust bearing not supplied.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-29-2009, 10:03 AM
fatboyf150's Avatar
fatboyf150 fatboyf150 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 193
fatboyf150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i just got done doing this swap for my c6 that i just put into my 95 f150. there is no machine work to do as long as you keep all the other factory style parts. i opt'd to go with an 1/2" wider band and that requires the e40d sun shell to be machined down 7/16 of an inch. i took a few pics and will try to post them up for you when i find them.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Mr.N Mr.N is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 104
Mr.N is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmanea View Post
About halfway down the page, uses E40D sun shell, isn't this it?

#9. C-6 lower geared steel forward planet gear with 6 pinion gears. First gear is geared 10% lower and second is geared 5% lower than a stock C-6 (2.71 first, 1.53 second). You get the six pinion steel planet gear, hub, bearing, ring gear and sun gear. Provides drag racers with more acceleration and tow vehicles or motor homes with more pulling power without changing axle ratios. No machining required. Cost $229.00. This kit requires a 1976 up forward clutch drum, if needed $49.00 #1XXX. It also requires an E4OD sun shell, Cost $16.00 if needed. It will require the use of at least one more thrust bearing not supplied.
Great point, and sorry if I was short. That is a nice write up, and as much as I've seen.

I was hoping for more information, and some pics...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-30-2009, 03:12 AM
wyoming4x4's Avatar
wyoming4x4 wyoming4x4 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: wyoming
Posts: 1,937
wyoming4x4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.wyoming4x4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Check with art carr transmissions. Did this very setup many yrs ago worked great but torque converter broke and scattered metal everywhere. If you do this set up I would reccomend new planetary's. Might get lucky but I never do. I just had a c-6 with TCI low gear kit and torrenton bearings install just done. I can feel a difference in the way the truck feels compared to bushings. Free's up a few pony's also my converter has torrenton bearings also now. I'll see if I can find this article that art carr put out yrs ago on this very subject in depth on swap out.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-30-2009, 10:09 AM
mark a.'s Avatar
mark a. mark a. is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,213
mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.
This has been discussed before & 2 people on here had done it & both sayed it wasn't worth the effort.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Mr.N Mr.N is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 104
Mr.N is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark a. View Post
This has been discussed before & 2 people on here had done it & both sayed it wasn't worth the effort.
Why not link the threads? (My guess is i read them, and it's just people saying they did the swap... not many details. I dare you to prove me wrong )

If this upgrade is worth it is all in the use of the truck.
For a Highway haul rig, sure it might not be worth it... However for something that is in an out of 1st and 2nd gear it is.

Maybe for you it's not, but for me it is.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Mr.N Mr.N is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 104
Mr.N is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoming4x4 View Post
Check with art carr transmissions. Did this very setup many yrs ago worked great but torque converter broke and scattered metal everywhere. If you do this set up I would reccomend new planetary's. Might get lucky but I never do. I just had a c-6 with TCI low gear kit and torrenton bearings install just done. I can feel a difference in the way the truck feels compared to bushings. Free's up a few pony's also my converter has torrenton bearings also now. I'll see if I can find this article that art carr put out yrs ago on this very subject in depth on swap out.
I would appreciate it if you could find that article, or at least post the mag and volume number.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Mr.N Mr.N is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 104
Mr.N is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyf150 View Post
i just got done doing this swap for my c6 that i just put into my 95 f150. there is no machine work to do as long as you keep all the other factory style parts. i opt'd to go with an 1/2" wider band and that requires the e40d sun shell to be machined down 7/16 of an inch. i took a few pics and will try to post them up for you when i find them.
More details please!

This is the first i've heard of machining the sun shell down, I'd love details.
(I've a few mechanist friends, and one owes me a few favors... )
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-31-2009, 12:06 AM
85e150six4mtod 85e150six4mtod is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 18,745
85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation
Over $600:

TCI Auto: C6 Low Gear Planetary

Previous discussions I've seen were about using a taller axle with the lower first/second to retain low end while bettering cruise rpm--the same thing an OD trans would usually do.

Might be worthwhile, especially if done in conjunction with a rebuild where you are already paying for the removal and teardown/build up.

ymmv. Let us know how it works....
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-31-2009, 10:18 AM
Mr.N Mr.N is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 104
Mr.N is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod View Post
Over $600:

TCI Auto: C6 Low Gear Planetary


Previous discussions I've seen were about using a taller axle with the lower first/second to retain low end while bettering cruise rpm--the same thing an OD trans would usually do.

Might be worthwhile, especially if done in conjunction with a rebuild where you are already paying for the removal and teardown/build up.

ymmv. Let us know how it works....
Nice kit, but I bet I could get the gear parts for under $60 from a good used E40D. (That is at a u-pull yard and your own labor...)

Plans are to find a core 4x4 C6 and some E40D lower gears, and do a rebuild.
Total cost should be under $350 for all parts and a good rebuild kit and new Torque converter. Maybe next winter starting the project...

But I'm still in search of an article about doing this...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-31-2009, 12:35 PM
mark a.'s Avatar
mark a. mark a. is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,213
mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.N View Post
Why not link the threads? (My guess is i read them, and it's just people saying they did the swap... not many details. I dare you to prove me wrong )

If this upgrade is worth it is all in the use of the truck.
For a Highway haul rig, sure it might not be worth it... However for something that is in an out of 1st and 2nd gear it is.

Maybe for you it's not, but for me it is.
Go ahead and try it by all means. You may like it. You won't know for sure if it's for you unless you want to spend the money to try it. I'm just telling you what the people that have done it have said about it.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FiTech info, adjustment and problem thread hivoltj Fuel Injection, Carburetion & Fuel System 13 12-03-2016 09:29 AM
Installing 2008 Superduty leather seats in a dentside (pics) Johnny L 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1 07-26-2016 12:42 PM
Questions on changing to E4OD planetary set in a C6 compressorguy Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case 6 01-02-2009 01:43 PM
Rebuilding a C6 with 4R100 internals f350bronco Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case 0 11-17-2004 10:56 PM
Head Casting Info. Kidd 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1 09-06-2002 01:53 AM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Tags
c6, cover, e40d, e4od, f350, ford, gear, gears, kit, low, parts, rebuild, set, transmission, upgrade

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 PM.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.