C6 rebuild: adding a lower E40D gear info needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:15 AM
Mr.N
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question C6 rebuild: adding a lower E40D gear info needed

I've read a few post now, and it seems like a great idea.

Swap the gear out in a C6 of the lower set from a E40D.
However I can't find one good post, or set of pictures showing it being done...
Look for info, the little tips like what parts to grab from the Junkyard.

Thanks.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:50 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've seen a few people on ebay that sell individual trans parts, If you contact them they will probably put together all the parts you need

Old 10-28-2009, 12:33 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This place probably has anything you need. I've seen lower gear sets on there, not sure if its the same as the E40D gears.

Ford C6 Performance Transmission Parts, C4 Transmission Parts

Old 10-28-2009, 07:48 PM
Mr.N
Senior User
Originally Posted by cartmanea
This place probably has anything you need. I've seen lower gear sets on there, not sure if its the same as the E40D gears.

Ford C6 Performance Transmission Parts, C4 Transmission Parts
I've searched, and can't find it here.

It's been talked about a few times, but not much for details.
Found a dead webpage that had the info, but it's not even in the way back machine for the internet.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:54 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
About halfway down the page, uses E40D sun shell, isn't this it?

#9. C-6 lower geared steel forward planet gear with 6 pinion gears. First gear is geared 10% lower and second is geared 5% lower than a stock C-6 (2.71 first, 1.53 second). You get the six pinion steel planet gear, hub, bearing, ring gear and sun gear. Provides drag racers with more acceleration and tow vehicles or motor homes with more pulling power without changing axle ratios. No machining required. Cost $229.00. This kit requires a 1976 up forward clutch drum, if needed $49.00 #1XXX. It also requires an E4OD sun shell, Cost $16.00 if needed. It will require the use of at least one more thrust bearing not supplied.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:03 AM
fatboyf150
Senior User
i just got done doing this swap for my c6 that i just put into my 95 f150. there is no machine work to do as long as you keep all the other factory style parts. i opt'd to go with an 1/2" wider band and that requires the e40d sun shell to be machined down 7/16 of an inch. i took a few pics and will try to post them up for you when i find them.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Mr.N
Senior User
Originally Posted by cartmanea
About halfway down the page, uses E40D sun shell, isn't this it?

#9. C-6 lower geared steel forward planet gear with 6 pinion gears. First gear is geared 10% lower and second is geared 5% lower than a stock C-6 (2.71 first, 1.53 second). You get the six pinion steel planet gear, hub, bearing, ring gear and sun gear. Provides drag racers with more acceleration and tow vehicles or motor homes with more pulling power without changing axle ratios. No machining required. Cost $229.00. This kit requires a 1976 up forward clutch drum, if needed $49.00 #1XXX. It also requires an E4OD sun shell, Cost $16.00 if needed. It will require the use of at least one more thrust bearing not supplied.
Great point, and sorry if I was short. That is a nice write up, and as much as I've seen.

I was hoping for more information, and some pics...

Old 10-30-2009, 02:12 AM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check with art carr transmissions. Did this very setup many yrs ago worked great but torque converter broke and scattered metal everywhere. If you do this set up I would reccomend new planetary's. Might get lucky but I never do. I just had a c-6 with TCI low gear kit and torrenton bearings install just done. I can feel a difference in the way the truck feels compared to bushings. Free's up a few pony's also my converter has torrenton bearings also now. I'll see if I can find this article that art carr put out yrs ago on this very subject in depth on swap out.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:09 AM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts
This has been discussed before & 2 people on here had done it & both sayed it wasn't worth the effort.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Mr.N
Senior User
Originally Posted by mark a.
This has been discussed before & 2 people on here had done it & both sayed it wasn't worth the effort.
Why not link the threads? (My guess is i read them, and it's just people saying they did the swap... not many details. I dare you to prove me wrong )

If this upgrade is worth it is all in the use of the truck.
For a Highway haul rig, sure it might not be worth it... However for something that is in an out of 1st and 2nd gear it is.

Maybe for you it's not, but for me it is.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Mr.N
Senior User
Originally Posted by wyoming4x4
Check with art carr transmissions. Did this very setup many yrs ago worked great but torque converter broke and scattered metal everywhere. If you do this set up I would reccomend new planetary's. Might get lucky but I never do. I just had a c-6 with TCI low gear kit and torrenton bearings install just done. I can feel a difference in the way the truck feels compared to bushings. Free's up a few pony's also my converter has torrenton bearings also now. I'll see if I can find this article that art carr put out yrs ago on this very subject in depth on swap out.
I would appreciate it if you could find that article, or at least post the mag and volume number.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Mr.N
Senior User
Originally Posted by fatboyf150
i just got done doing this swap for my c6 that i just put into my 95 f150. there is no machine work to do as long as you keep all the other factory style parts. i opt'd to go with an 1/2" wider band and that requires the e40d sun shell to be machined down 7/16 of an inch. i took a few pics and will try to post them up for you when i find them.
More details please!

This is the first i've heard of machining the sun shell down, I'd love details.
(I've a few mechanist friends, and one owes me a few favors... )

Old 10-30-2009, 11:06 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,292 Posts
Over $600:

TCI Auto: C6 Low Gear Planetary

Previous discussions I've seen were about using a taller axle with the lower first/second to retain low end while bettering cruise rpm--the same thing an OD trans would usually do.

Might be worthwhile, especially if done in conjunction with a rebuild where you are already paying for the removal and teardown/build up.

ymmv. Let us know how it works....

Old 10-31-2009, 09:18 AM
Mr.N
Senior User
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
Over $600:

TCI Auto: C6 Low Gear Planetary

Previous discussions I've seen were about using a taller axle with the lower first/second to retain low end while bettering cruise rpm--the same thing an OD trans would usually do.

Might be worthwhile, especially if done in conjunction with a rebuild where you are already paying for the removal and teardown/build up.

ymmv. Let us know how it works....
Nice kit, but I bet I could get the gear parts for under $60 from a good used E40D. (That is at a u-pull yard and your own labor...)

Plans are to find a core 4x4 C6 and some E40D lower gears, and do a rebuild.
Total cost should be under $350 for all parts and a good rebuild kit and new Torque converter. Maybe next winter starting the project...

But I'm still in search of an article about doing this...

Old 10-31-2009, 11:35 AM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.N
Why not link the threads? (My guess is i read them, and it's just people saying they did the swap... not many details. I dare you to prove me wrong )

If this upgrade is worth it is all in the use of the truck.
For a Highway haul rig, sure it might not be worth it... However for something that is in an out of 1st and 2nd gear it is.

Maybe for you it's not, but for me it is.
Go ahead and try it by all means. You may like it. You won't know for sure if it's for you unless you want to spend the money to try it. I'm just telling you what the people that have done it have said about it.

Quick Reply: C6 rebuild: adding a lower E40D gear info needed