2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Anyone using Vehicle Specific Dash mount?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 01:07 AM
david_jr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone using Vehicle Specific Dash mount?

Am planning on installing my XM XpressRC satellite radio in my 08 Limited. Will be connecting it using the FM Direct Adapter. I am also interested in using one of the "Vehicle Specific Dash Mounts" to mount it up on the dash next to radio. I am intersted in this, but am nervous about spending $50 for something that won't work well. Anyone using something like this for their Sat radio or Ipod? Does it work well with the Ford dash?

Old 10-27-2009, 10:36 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you thought of tapping into the back of your AUX input instead?

Old 10-27-2009, 01:23 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
From a F150 Forum. Same idea.

I just popped the SYNC plate off to get access to the aux input cable. I cut the cable a few inches back from the plate then soldered in my cable from the XM receiver and soldered the SYNC connector back at the same time. I can still use the SYNC's aux input connector.

The cable has three leads. A common ground and left channel signal and right channel signal.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:13 AM
david_jr
Senior User
I was not aware of an aux input on the back. Is that where the Sirius goes in? I'm trying to mount a portable and would love to use the aux instead of FM mod. I could always send the Direct Adapter back to Crutchfield. How do you have your portable mounted. The cradle that cme with the XpressRC leaves a lot to be desired. Also do you have an extra 12 volt outlet wired for yours?

Old 10-28-2009, 10:53 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
I meant pull the lower panel off where the AUX IN port is below your heater controls, tap into the back of the aux in wires-left right ground. You have to solder but it's not hard. You could also do the same to the 12V power. If you are not up to this, I am sure a shop wouldn't charge you more than $20. Then just select LINE IN on your radio when you want to listen to the satelite. I have the OEM Sirius in my Expy.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:39 AM
david_jr
Senior User
Thanks Berry I will take a look at it. Thursday or Friday depending on the weather in the northeast.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:06 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
No problem. The display on that unit is very nice. That's the thing that stinks about the OEM Ford radios(not including the navigation unit) the display looks like it's out of 1984. Would it kill them to update that?

Old 10-30-2009, 09:36 AM
david_jr
Senior User
Originally Posted by berry1234
No problem. The display on that unit is very nice. That's the thing that stinks about the OEM Ford radios(not including the navigation unit) the display looks like it's out of 1984. Would it kill them to update that?
You got that right. Can hardly see the small letters and dim lighting. How many kids do they think can afford these things. Display in my Accord is better in that it is bigger and bolder font and a lot easier to see. It has layout problems however. Not like Honda to not think these things out. Ford's is okay, but I have to put my readers on to see anything. At least Ford lets you scroll through the info from Sirius (had a month left on subscription from previous owner), Honda does not. That is very frustrating especially when using the wonderful Xpress RC. It's function kills anything I've seen in a car OEM. Have 2 XM subscriptions so not going to activate the sirius.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:23 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by david_jr
You got that right. Can hardly see the small letters and dim lighting. How many kids do they think can afford these things. Display in my Accord is better in that it is bigger and bolder font and a lot easier to see. It has layout problems however. Not like Honda to not think these things out. Ford's is okay, but I have to put my readers on to see anything. At least Ford lets you scroll through the info from Sirius (had a month left on subscription from previous owner), Honda does not. That is very frustrating especially when using the wonderful Xpress RC. It's function kills anything I've seen in a car OEM. Have 2 XM subscriptions so not going to activate the sirius.
I agree. The instrument cluster font/style is the worst I have seen. The radio is just pathetic. I would be embarrassed if I worked on the design team for that. At least with the new F150's they have updated that.

When you drive as much as I do you gotta have satellite radio. It's nice to drive 1,000 miles and have the same station that never fades in or out.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:28 AM
david_jr
Senior User
I got the satellite radio installed. The dash came apart very easily as advertised. I had hoped to tie into the on board sirius antenna, but there was no separate lead, just one antenna connection on the back of the radio. I went ahead and used the FM Direct adapter FM modulator that I had bought. I wasn't comfortable cutting into the line input wiring as this is a lease and may go back if we decide to upgrade at the end or if I lose my job and we can't afford it. I installed the XM antenna on the roof next to the sirius antenna and snaked the wire down the side of the windshield then inside the door frame and through the hole where the door wiring goes into the interior. I just pulled the boot out, snaked my wire and then put the boot right back in. The boot is really not that tight and it made it pretty easy to do. Also there is a ton of room behind the dash and I was able to cable tie all of the modulator parts and extra wiring so nothing should be rattling. I may go to a shop to have my 12v plug installed for it. I really am not comfortable messing with that. Oh by the way the sound is amazing. Sounds just as good as the FM and CD players. Of course that is sitting in the driveway. I'll have to see how it goes on the road to see if there is any FM interference issues. Thanks again for all of the help and suggestions. This forum is great.