Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Junior User

DAI532 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Where to get coolant test strips?

I have an early 99 PSD and need to flush my coolant. I have been to all the local auto parts stores, including the national ones, and they all seem to act like I am crazy when I ask for the test strips. I went to a local stealership and they did not have them either. I did buy some of the SCA additive there and they told me just to add one pint to four gallons of coolant concentrate and four gallons of distilled water. They said it would be close enough to approximate it. Well, I trust NOTHING the dealer says. In dealer language, that means, "don't use enough and you will be back here for us to sell you new engine."
Anyone know where to buy the strips that measure the SCA amount?
Old 10-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Posting Guru

Bigcat350 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bigcat350 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bigcat350 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Go to a big truck stop or most any where they work on tractor trailers. I get a couple free from a truck stop off the interstate. NAPA has them but you have to buy a large quantity.
Late 01/99 F-350 XLT 7.3 EC DRW 4x4 6-speed 4:10, some common mods done. 6637 filter & Pete's Cover, Billet Grill,Muffler Delete,Stancore GPR,HPX,2 Pillar Pod Gauges,Swamps Hybrid Single Shot Injectors,DP Tuner NS,Modified Stock,Hi-Idle,80E,120R,140A,Foil Delete,CCV,AIH Delete,Garrett GTP38R BB Turbo with a 1.15 Housing, Valair Clutch. And more. Over 400HP BIG RED TRUCK - PAA#79 (SOLD)
Old 10-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Senior User

OTTOMATIC is starting off with a positive reputation.
Peach State Freightliner »
1755 Dry Pond Road
Jefferson, GA

06 Chevy LBZ 6.6 Dmax 158,000 mi + a few mods
95 MB 300E diesel 291,000 mi
Old 10-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Senior User

huntke is starting off with a positive reputation.
I get mine from the local intenational truck dealer. IIRC they are like a dollar and some change each.
1999 F250 (x's 2) both crew cab 4x4, one early one late.....Late one all stock except for triple pillar guages.....early one, a handshaker, 4" turbo back w/muffler delete, 6637 with cover & superchips cortex saving for a real tuner!! Kevin.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:05 PM
Postmaster

tdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to behold
You might be able to use the ELC coolant. I think they had a service bulletin on what years. Then you don't have to mess with it.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdpower View Post
You might be able to use the ELC coolant. I think they had a service bulletin on what years. Then you don't have to mess with it.

My manufacture date is 01/99 and the post I read by Gooch about the flush says only after 2/99 can use ELC. Has that information changed?
Old 10-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Posting Guru

maevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAI532 View Post
I have an early 99 PSD and need to flush my coolant. I have been to all the local auto parts stores, including the national ones, and they all seem to act like I am crazy when I ask for the test strips. I went to a local stealership and they did not have them either. I did buy some of the SCA additive there and they told me just to add one pint to four gallons of coolant concentrate and four gallons of distilled water. They said it would be close enough to approximate it. Well, I trust NOTHING the dealer says. In dealer language, that means, "don't use enough and you will be back here for us to sell you new engine."
Anyone know where to buy the strips that measure the SCA amount?
If you have no luck finding the test strips, Let me know, there is a IH dealer close to my work and I can send them to you.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:46 PM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAI532 View Post
My manufacture date is 01/99 and the post I read by Gooch about the flush says only after 2/99 can use ELC. Has that information changed?
In my opinion, no. I'd avoid it. You can order the test strips from NAPA or Carquest. Don't waste money on any of the fancy kits. Just order the cheap one that is a bottle full of little strips. The bottle has the color chart on the outside, and you just need to dunk the strips in the coolant and watch the colors.

Then, if needed, add some SCA, drive around a bit and re-test. Repeats necessary until all checks out good.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
Old 10-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Senior User

American Air-1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I give up...what is SCA?...and why can't you use ELC for the earlier PSD?
2000 F350SD, 7.3 PSD, AT, LWB CC, centurion conv., Bully-Dog 5 inch exhaust, DP Tuner, DieselSite ext. tranny filter, leather seats, DVD player, 6in. susp. lift, foil delete mod, daytime h/l delete mod, K&N air filter, Mag-Hytec rear cover. Check out our Air Suspension Parts and Coil Spring Conversion Kits: http://www.americanairsuspension.com Find us on Google+
Old 10-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Junior User

Ok. Thanks guys. I will try a few of the places you have mentioned.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Air-1 View Post
I give up...what is SCA?...and why can't you use ELC for the earlier PSD?

SCA is an additive you add to the coolant to prevent cavitation ( a process by which tiny air bubbles vibrate the inside of your engine causing erosion, injector cup failure, block failure, etc.)

Engines built after 2/99 apparently have different seals, gaskets, etc. that are compatible with the newer ELC coolants which do not require the SCA additive. Engines built before 2/99 can possible run a risk of having issues if used with ELC coolants.

If I did not explain it all that well, then I am sure someone will correct me with a more accurate information or explanation.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Senior User

OTTOMATIC is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have been using ELC since 2001 or 100,000 mi. , build date on motor 2/19/98. . In fact i just changed coolant again today and used ELC. But i only have 323,700 mi on truck so it's hard to say if the ELC is damaging it.

06 Chevy LBZ 6.6 Dmax 158,000 mi + a few mods
95 MB 300E diesel 291,000 mi
Old 10-27-2009, 12:09 AM
Senior User

Rockrunner86 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My local Napa sells the strips.. But I switched to the Delo red long life and will never look back..
Old 10-27-2009, 01:21 AM
Postmaster

hucka1a is a name known to allhucka1a is a name known to allhucka1a is a name known to allhucka1a is a name known to allhucka1a is a name known to allhucka1a is a name known to all
Fleetguard CC2602A 3 Way Coolant Test Strips at DieselManor

Old 10-27-2009, 01:23 AM
Postmaster

hucka1a is a name known to allhucka1a is a name known to allhucka1a is a name known to allhucka1a is a name known to allhucka1a is a name known to allhucka1a is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by maevans View Post
If you have no luck finding the test strips, Let me know, there is a IH dealer close to my work and I can send them to you.
Thanks Mark for the strips you sent me.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:23 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
73, additive, cc2602a, coolant, crankcase, diesel, fleetguard, ford, itp, kit, napa, powerstroke, ps, sca, strips, test, vent