Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Washington Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Washington Chapter Washington Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: GruesomeJeans

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Posting Guru

caseys has a good reputation on FTE.caseys has a good reputation on FTE.
Like an airplane without wings...

Had seen a special on television about those wind power thangs in Eastern Washington. Started to think about the Bunny that pilots those airplanes without wings. The work looks high and tight. Was wondering if Bunny actually goes up to check those thangs out in the winter with the cold, wind and snow?

Hope to hear how all are doing.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. ~ Ancient
Old 10-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Post Fiend

Snowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputation
Yes, I do!!

I'm just like the postman ~ Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds!!

If I need to go up,,, I go up!!

If it's 130* up there, I sweat,,, I sweat a LOT!!!

If it's -5* up there, I shiver! A LOT!! 'Cause now I'm wet from sweating!!! Ha! Ha!! Ha!!!

Here's a link to some pics I took while at work!! Enjoy!

Pictures by TowerJunkie09 - Photobucket
Official Slackmaster #24 ~ Zombie Survivalist Extraordinaire
Proud owner of ~ 2002 F-250 SD PSD 6spd ~ 1996 F-350 PSD SC ~ 1984 VW Rabbit Diesel
Old 10-30-2009, 08:20 AM
Posting Guru

Beautiful views! I have seen wind towers when I drive the 90 to the east side of the hump. Those things are big.

Do you have any photos that show the perspective of size... like someone on top or bottom?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. ~ Ancient
Old 10-31-2009, 02:14 AM
Post Fiend

Snowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputation
Yeah, you just didn't notice. This one shows a fella coming out of the hub hatch between the blades. I was on top of the next turbine over, about 1,000 feet. This guy is 6'3" tall and looks like a shrimp on here!!! There are also several pics with pick ups at the bases.

Click the image to open in full size.
Proud owner of ~ 2002 F-250 SD PSD 6spd ~ 1996 F-350 PSD SC ~ 1984 VW Rabbit Diesel
Old 11-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Junior User

physicsguy11 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Those are some beautiful pictures Bunny! That must be some experience being up there on those towers. Are those first couple pictures on the album of wind-blown ice up top?
Old 11-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Post Fiend

Yeah, took those last year. They call it Rime Ice. It forms when the fog rolls by.

The build-up got to over a foot thick on the blades and made a spectacular show when it went flying after it warmed up!!! Made huge craters in the ground and splattered over 7 feet around!!

Only took out one windshield and one quarter panel,,, People are figuring out to stay away during ice-shed!! lol
Old 11-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Postmaster

Placermike has a very good reputation on FTE.Placermike has a very good reputation on FTE.Placermike has a very good reputation on FTE.Placermike has a very good reputation on FTE.
They may be planes without wings, but I have one question...Where is first class seating?

EClampus Vitus Major WM Downie 1849

Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Posting Guru

Those things are bigger than I thought... when I saw that picture, it looked like a fly sitting on the lens or something.

...and I think the answer to Placemike's question is in the photo... that guy is in the first class seat with a view like that.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Post Fiend

Yeah, they're just under 300 feet to the top of the nacelle and almost 400 feet to the tip of the top blade. You can't have a heights issue with this job, that's for sure!!

And here's our very own Baby Bunny!!!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Posting Guru

Caught my attention for a second... it looked like a peace sign on one hand and a bird on the other. Geez.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Junior User

physicsguy11 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks like baby bunny is ready to go bungee jumping! I recommend tightening the harness before leaping though...
Old 11-05-2009, 04:02 AM
Posting Guru

...and not only tightening the harness but also made using a rope with a little bit more spring in it.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Post Fiend

Yeah,,, "One Size Fits All" is a LIE!!!
Old 11-09-2009, 01:38 AM
Just one year at a time..

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Do some of these units have rotor blades with de-icers on the leading edges?

I can imagine HUGE irregularities in balance without some kind of ice prevention.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 11-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Post Fiend

No, there are no de-icers, and yes, it is a huge issue!! The turbine can detect the imbalance, however, and will shut itself off so there is no damage to the main bearing. Production is lost for days or even weeks at a time, but it's the cheaper alternative!!
Old 11-09-2009, 09:53 AM