Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2009, 02:12 AM
Posting Guru

karljay is starting off with a positive reputation.
Expecting rain on thursday, can I pour concrete on Monday?

I'd like to pour a foundation as an addon to the house, about 100 sq ft. It would be done Monday midday, rain is expected thurs or friday. Should I wait or get some plastic and cover it or what?

I don't want to use any quick-cure stuff as I understand they can weaken the pour.
Thanks, KarlJay

Forgot to add, this is Sacramento and the outlook is upper 70's. The area to be poured is not in direct sunlight. 16~18" footer and 4" inner.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:58 AM

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
it will only need 24 hours to become weather tight.

unless you are talking about freezing cold, which i don't think you need to worry about.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Post Fiend

LMS Residential has a superb reputationLMS Residential has a superb reputationLMS Residential has a superb reputationLMS Residential has a superb reputationLMS Residential has a superb reputationLMS Residential has a superb reputationLMS Residential has a superb reputationLMS Residential has a superb reputationLMS Residential has a superb reputationLMS Residential has a superb reputationLMS Residential has a superb reputation
Pour away brother. The rain on Thursday will only serve to wet the cured concrete which is actually beneficial.
Used to live in Sacto on Robertson, our biggest problem pouring there was trying to slow the cure in the dry summer heat.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Elder User

dstig1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The 2 biggest weather concerns with pouring concrete are freezing temps before it is cured, and hot dry weather that dries out the water before it has a chance to cure (concrete cures by hydration, not evaporation - the water becomes part of the concrete so if it dries out you get weak concrete). Rain during a pour is an issue if it is heavy, but not a day or more later. Heck, even rain a couple hours after finishing wouldn't be an issue if you cover it with plastic.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Postmaster

Nitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant future
ray.martinjr
I'd go so far as to water the surface of the concrete on Tuesday and Wednesday and not wait until Thursday for it to get rained on. As was mentioned, concrete likes having the water present - it will cure harder than it would in dry conditions.I'd wet it down every day for a week.

Avatar is a Pearl Ribbon in honor of my wife and the battle she is waging.
'03 F150 Sport 4x4 4.6L 5-speed, '05 Escape Hybrid, '06 Escape Hybrid
Old 10-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
Just don't water it too soon, or you'll wash the slip off.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:35 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop

Tags
cold, concrete, cover, curing, day, expecting, footers, heavy, plastic, pour, pouring, rain, raincalifornia, rains, times