Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Flex or Edge

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 01:44 PM
lawnspecialties
More Turbo
Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts
As much as I like my wife's '07 Freestyle, I think the Flex is even better. As the OP stated, my wife hates them.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:55 AM
IZZYAZ
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My sister has an 07 Freestyle and my wife has a 09 Flex. Night and day difference in ride and comfort. The styling is something that maybe debatable. I hated the Flex when they first came out, but like it now. The Freestyle, have never really like the styling, or lack-there-of... The ride and comfort of the Flex is far superior to that of the Freestyle. Plus the Flex has the 3.5L vs. the 3.0L in the Freestyle. We contantly get 2-4 mpg better MPG in the Flex then my sister does in her Freestyle.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:56 PM
akalogan
Senior User
My wife and I love her '07 edge sel plus. We don't need the extra room of the flex (even if I think it looks better.) And the edge is fun to drive while being easy on me...

Old 03-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Surfcop
Freshman User
My wife and I test drove the MKX (Lincoln Edge) and then test drove the Flex. Before we got inside, she said the Flex looked like a hearse and we wouldn't be getting a Flex. Then we drove it. We got the Flex. We usually get the Mercury or Lincoln cars for the comforts. The Flex has it all. We were instantly sold! Our kids are in college and I can already tell that this will be the most comfortable, most useful vehicle we have ever owned. Our other truck is a Navigator Ultimate but the comfort and luxury of the Flex still impressed us. Another way to tell: look at how many people are parting with their used Edge vs. how many people are parting with their Flex.

Go and drive both like we did. Have fun!

Old 03-12-2011, 11:02 AM
i1dery
Posting Guru
Love the Flex, my wife even lets me drive it sometimes, sheesh i get all the handmedowns.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:01 PM
BlueOval5.0
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
My wife has an '03 Odyssey and would like to get something new. We have three boys 8, 6, & 3. She wants an Edge but I am pushing hard for the Flex simply because I believe we need the room. Actually, I want an Expy EL but she flat out says no - too big for her to drive.

I am intrigued by the MyTouch in the Edge and also by the significantly better fuel economy as compared to the Flex. My friend has a 2010 Edge and loves it - the 2011 model looks even better. I'd really love an EcoBoost Flex but don't know if the extra cost is worth it - don't really need AWD.

One last rant - spent a couple of hours last night searching online and can't seem to find a White Platinum with a Charcoal interior Flex. My wife refuses to budge on color an it ticks me off because I found a Tuxedo Black Flex equipped exactly as we want and she won't consider it. I may have to order one.

Also, if we get the Flex I get to keep my Fusion but if we get the Edge I inherit the minivan. Motivation for me, would rather keep my car.

Thanks,
Eric

Old 04-25-2011, 08:12 AM
aladin sane
Senior User
As an edge owner who hates the look of a flex, with three kids, and a choice between the edge and the flex, I think you should get the flex. I just don't think there is enough room for three kids in the back of the edge. Good luck convincing your wife however. It sounds like she does not care for the flex.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:18 AM
BlueOval5.0
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
We may actually compromise and get an Explorer. It is smaller than the Flex but will seat three kids without an issue. I still want the Flex with the EB motor but she prefers the higher ride height.

We found one perfectly equipped to our liking - she has to have White Platinum, an XLT 4WD, Rapid Spec 202A, Trailer Tow, Power Liftgate.

Now, I'm hoping I get the $750 coupon in the Edge/Flex brochure I ordered and apply to the X-plan pricing.

Thanks,
Eric

Old 04-25-2011, 04:04 PM
AutoShepherd
Former Vendor
My next door neighbor just bought a brand new Edge for his wife. They were originally going to buy a Flex, but decided on an Edge. It's a great car. You can't go wrong with either one.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:26 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have an Lincoln MKT (Flex) and a friend of mine has a MKX. Both are great vehicles for their intended purpose.

The biggest advantage to the MKT is the opportunity to get the EcoBoost. This engine has unbelievable power.

Don't let the Lincoln Brand scare you, You can get some great deals on these puppies.

BTW: I came out of a 2008 Expy EL. Another GREAT Ford vehicle. It was time to move to a bit more comfortable vehicle. Plus, I had the company buy a truck. So if I need to tow or haul anything I can still do that. It seems the older I get the less I need a tow vehicle.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:40 PM
wahl7s
Freshman User
ECO BOOST! enough said.(flex gets my vote)

Old 05-19-2011, 06:18 PM
rrob
New User
Flex vs Edge

Last November I took my wife and my 14 yr old daughter to the local Ford dealership. First we drove the Edge Limited and they both liked it. Then we drove the Flex Limited and they loved it. Even the kids don't want to drive in our old van...heck, the wife says the Flex even looks perfect for me. Buy the Flex.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:43 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by wahl7s
ECO BOOST! enough said.(flex gets my vote)
Ecoboost does look like a great engine. Anyone know what trim levels the 2.0 Ecoboost will be offered in for the Edge? That looks like it'll be a really great combo. From what I read, it should be out this year.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:05 PM
Jcary
New User
flex review

My wife and I are thinking about getting a flex. What are the reviews as far as performance? Are there early years that you should stay away from? Do they come in 4 wheel drive? Just curious

Old 06-16-2011, 07:03 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Flex does come in All wheel drive. Check out Ford for details.

Just had a look at the dimensions of the cargo area of the Edge. Looks like it's smaller than my Mazda3 when you leave the seats up. That is pretty chocking, and it's also a deal breaker for me. This is going to be my wifes car, but it's gotta hold a big stroller and some gear. The mazda doesn't, so we need to go bigger.

Quick Reply: Flex or Edge