Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how NOT to lower your truck

i really hope this wasnt one of yalls old rigs

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post8057687

Old 10-23-2009, 02:10 PM
F250army45d
Elder User
Only an idiot would lower a truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A lowered truck is good for nothing at all in my opinion. I would only buy a lowered truck for parts. And you can gurantee the suspension would be trashed.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Recoil
Tuned
Well, that is embarrassing. I bet if he was one of us, they will probably not sat and we will never know of it.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:01 PM
93F22A6
Senior User
Thats just amazes me at how stupid people are gonna be. If your do something do it right. If you don't know what you are doing have somebody that knows do it.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:17 PM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow... just... wow...

Old 10-23-2009, 07:37 PM
bulletsneverlie
Elder User
Originally Posted by F250army45d
Only an idiot would lower a truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A lowered truck is good for nothing at all in my opinion. I would only buy a lowered truck for parts. And you can gurantee the suspension would be trashed.
If you lower it right, it's fine. These trucks look so good as hot rods, they're cheaper than muscle cars, more abundant, and a swb F100 2wd is about the same weight as a muscle car too. I laugh at guys who run giant F350 460 4x4 mud trucks. It's absurd, a Bronco II could get the same job done, usually better.

I've seen more jacked up trucks with bad bushing, poor lifts, failure welds, and stupid half-*** worn out steering and random suspension fabrication than on lowered vehicles. Jacked up trucks usually have more duct tape and bondo too.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:59 PM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
easy there guys! this could turn out worse than the post that wound up being a three page argument about suspension lifts vs. body lifts that i got involved in...

Old 10-23-2009, 10:22 PM
pidaster
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to lower my truck by putting some ratchet tie downs around the axle and frame and crank her down. That way it's easy to go back to stock and if it breaks, it goes back to stock.
You're welcome for the awesome tip. I'll be here all week.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:50 AM
bulletsneverlie
Elder User
Ok, Ok. I'll take it easy. I don't even own a lowered truck (yet), I just know how good these look when you do drop 'em. My tallest truck is a stock F150 w/ 31's. They look good as 4x4's w/ 33x12.5 too. I'm not a fan of anything much bigger, it's like those women with fake ***** that look like grocery bags full of KY. To each their own I guess.

If you want a cheap lift, lift the truck with a floor jack, then shove bolts in the front springs. Great way to level it out or even get a little lift.

I've actually seen a Toyota Hi-Lux lifted in a similar manner to the object of ridicule this thread was started on. The spring hanger was removed from the frame, a piece of flat plate steel was welded on crooked, and the hanger was crudely welded onto the plate, about 6 inches below the frame, no structure to it. The passenger and driver sides were off by about 1/2 an inch.

If you want a cheap drop on a Ford, flip the axle on top of the springs in the back (or properly move the hangers) 'watch out for pinion angle'. Cut the coils in the front, and take the truck to a frame or alignment shop and have the I-beams re-aligned. As long as you cut coils with a cut-off wheel or some sort of band saw (keep 'em cool), in the right place, it's not that crazy of an idea. You can also swap in a 70's (?80's too?) Dodge truck front end for a little more money. It's riveted onto the Dodge, so it's mostly bolt on. You'll have IFS and keep your 5x5.5 lug pattern.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:12 AM
Bgasrickshaw
Elder User
That's a tad hokey alright. I like lowered trucks just as much as lifted ones if it's done correctly and sits " right ". There's a lowered, root beer brown '76 or so short box flareside around here that looks great. I don't think he hauls anything, but just cruises it. And anybody knows the best way to lower a truck is to just fill the box with heavy stuff.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:45 AM
F250army45d
Elder User
Originally Posted by bulletsneverlie
If you lower it right, it's fine. These trucks look so good as hot rods, they're cheaper than muscle cars, more abundant, and a swb F100 2wd is about the same weight as a muscle car too. I laugh at guys who run giant F350 460 4x4 mud trucks. It's absurd, a Bronco II could get the same job done, usually better.

I've seen more jacked up trucks with bad bushing, poor lifts, failure welds, and stupid half-*** worn out steering and random suspension fabrication than on lowered vehicles. Jacked up trucks usually have more duct tape and bondo too.
Well to each there own I don't think a lowered truck serves any purpose except to scrape speed bumps in the mall parking lot.
Yeah I'm sure there are some half A** lifts as well but as you say done properly its ok. You won't see a lift nor lowered truck in my garage. I'm happy with my stock HiBoy.
If you want a lowered POS go buy a Chevy they offer lowered trucks from the show room floor, If you want a lift go buy a Ford with FX4 package.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:58 PM
bulletsneverlie
Elder User
I went to a car show today. I saw a '69 that was lowered by removing all the rear springs but the main one. It looked very sketchy. I wouldn't ride in it.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:45 PM
FLATFORD1976
Senior User
Well most of you guys already know my position on this issue lol If you are going to do something at least make it safe. But why do we have to be so harsh... all i have to say is the world must be full of idiots because if you walk into any bookstore the custom truck magazines...which have a ton of lowered trucks of all kinds.. are numerous
You go to any truck show and you will see tons of lowered trucks.

I just don't understand why someone has to be an idiot just because they have different taste or view things differently than you do. With that type of mentality you may have the finger pointed away form the idiot.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:13 PM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
Originally Posted by FLATFORD1976
Well most of you guys already know my position on this issue lol If you are going to do something at least make it safe. But why do we have to be so harsh... all i have to say is the world must be full of idiots because if you walk into any bookstore the custom truck magazines...which have a ton of lowered trucks of all kinds.. are numerous
You go to any truck show and you will see tons of lowered trucks.

I just don't understand why someone has to be an idiot just because they have different taste or view things differently than you do. With that type of mentality you may have the finger pointed away form the idiot.
both trucks have their place. personally im a fan of staying close to stock ride heights, with mild body or suspension lifts. i dont like getting on my hands and knees to get in. that said, lowered trucks are just a cool as the lifted and stock variety. WHEN THEY ARE DONE RIGHT. i agree with flatford on this one, completely. F250, im not saying that you are one, and im definitely not attacking you. but you gotta watch what you say man, (and i think im speaking for everyone viewing this thread) you made yourself into a total a** on this one. just some advice for the future. and before you argue that this is your opinion, if that is what you think of lowered trucks, and thats what you would do with lowered trucks, then so be it. but dont call the guys that lower their trucks idiots (unless they are like the guy that even gave a reason to start this thread, cause thats just stupid). because i highly doubt that flatford and guys like him are idiots.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:17 AM
1977f150xlt
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
lowered trucks and lifted trucks all have there own place, and there own fan base, and too each there own, thus we shouldn't fight over this, but i will agree i don't have a problem with lowering or lifting, just as long as its done safe, because your not only jeopardizing your life and your passengers, but your possibly risking my life or my family or friends lives out on the road,

i prefer stock height or mildly lifted, i don't like the monster sized lifts that make the truck non drivable on actual roads (unless there going to stay off the roads for good) and i don't like lowered trucks for the same reason, since many are not done right, and thus there a safety concern, but if there done right and safe, i have no problems,

and i also don't like 22" or larger rims on these trucks,,,, or any vehicle for that matter, i will admit some large rims are very nice, and i would have to say there garage art, but i would never run rims that large, not only because of the look, but for safety and ride comfort, i would hate to bottom out a low profile tire and destroy a $1000 rim!

thus everyone has there own taste, and we all have our own take on things,

so lets not fight, where all Ford guys and gals,

so lets keep it safe,

"leave Mickey Mouse at Disney world, when working on automobiles and you'll be safe"

-Brent

Quick Reply: how NOT to lower your truck