6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

If you are thinking of upgrading to the 2011 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
""Thanks for your business, Derrek! The new diesel engine will offer substantially better fuel economy than the prior 6.4L--we will announce the fuel economy closer to when the truck goes on sale. The new 6.2L is also more fuel efficient than the 5.4L it replaces while offering greater towing capability. We think we will be able to offer you a couple of great solutions for your business needs with the two new engines. ""

Has Ford EVER announced fuel mileage figures about the 6.4/6.0 other to say it "will be substantially better"?
I seem to remember the same marketing trash about the 6.0 over the 7.3, then the 6.4 over the 6.0--they never delivered what they promised. Will they this time?

Old 11-04-2009, 04:06 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
real world experience will tell if they can deliver on the statement.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:00 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by LuckyDog1949
I really doubt that you are too dense to understand what I'm saying. So, I guess you just want to argue. It doesn't matter where the individual parts are built, although I'd prefer that they were Made In USA. The engine is being MANUFACTURED in Mexico. The parts are being ASSEMBLED into an engine by underpaid, underqualified, Mexican laborers. When someone doesn't know what they're doing, doesn't care what they're doing, and isn't paid enough to try to care what they're doing, then you end up with a shoddily built engine. It's not your money, or anyone elses but mine, that would come out of my pocket to pay for a truck with the Mexistroke in it, IF I bought one. I won't, so Ford has decided to forego my future truck business. Since I'll end up shopping other manufacturers dealers lots for trucks, I may find other cars that I like better than Ford, too. We'll see. If I have to buy cars with foreign made engines in them, they'll probably be Japanese or German made, both of which will be far better than any Made In Mexico.
Don't buy one. Get your tundra. Now, let's move on to some constructive comments.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:47 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The engine is being MANUFACTURED in Mexico. The parts are being ASSEMBLED into an engine by underpaid, underqualified, Mexican laborers. When someone doesn't know what they're doing, doesn't care what they're doing, and isn't paid enough to try to care what they're doing, then you end up with a shoddily built engine.
How do you get that just because someone is from Mexico that they are unqualified and don't care about what kind of job they do? I don't know about where you live, but where I live Mexican immigrants are some of the hardest working people I have been around. They are also willing to do all the jobs that Americans think they are too good to do and don't complain. Have you ever worked on an assembly line here in the good ol USA? When you have employees that think they are worth 10 times what they are being paid you end up with shoddily built stuff too.

If everything on the super duty was built/assembled in America the truck would cost 80k dollars and you would be complaining about the truck costing too much(due to Americans demanding $100 an hour for plugging in a turn signal bulb). So Ford tries to save the consumer some money by having things ASSEMBLED(not made) in Mexico and then you complain about that.

You are right though, it's YOUR money and if you don't want to buy one then don't. My only complaint is your racially derogatory comments about the Mexican population(when you have probably never even been to Mexico). Your comment makes about as much sense as a northerner saying they aren't buying a truck that's made in Kentucky by a bunch of 3 toothed, cousin screwing hillbillies. Or a southern white guy refusing to buy anything made in Detroit by a bunch of gang banging blacks.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:01 PM
LuckyDog1949
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phillips91
How do you get that just because someone is from Mexico that they are unqualified ..............?
From my experience with another vehicle that was Assembled In Mexico. So, unless Ford is going to hire employees with experience in the vast Mexican auto industry, then the employees will not have the experience that US auto workers would have.

Originally Posted by phillips91
My only complaint is your racially derogatory comments about the Mexican population(when you have probably never even been to Mexico).
When you can't disprove what someone says, then misrepresent what they've said and call them a racist!? That says volumes about who you are.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, on to the people who are still addressing their concerns about the 6.7L. No dealer or manufacturer is going to test vehicles powered by the new engine for fuel economy. Their pat answer is that "we don't have those figures because the EPA doesn't require testing of 3/4 ton, or larger, trucks." The claims of improved fuel economy will be proved either true or false only after the first year model of the trucks have been on the road for a while. And then, if the engine doesn't measure up, we'll probably be told that the 2012 engine has been "improved" in order to get us to keep buying the trucks. That is the approach that Ford used through the 6.0L and the 6.4L.
IMO, Ford is the best of what was The Big Three. But, they're plotting a course that's going to drop them down to the level of Dodge and GM ("Government" Motors.)

Old 11-05-2009, 08:51 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
From my experience with another vehicle that was Assembled In Mexico. So, unless Ford is going to hire employees with experience in the vast Mexican auto industry, then the employees will not have the experience that US auto workers would have.

When you can't disprove what someone says, then misrepresent what they've said and call them a racist!? That says volumes about who you are.
When you base an opinion about an entire nation of people and call them all unqualified and say they don't care about their job because of ONE vehicle you have owned, then that speaks volumes about who you are. Would you approve of Mexicans saying YOU don't care about your job and you are unqualified because of all the problems with the American assembled 6.0? I did not misrepresent what you said either. YOU are the one that said Mexicans do shoddy work and are unqualified for no other reason than them being Mexican.

Tell me what kind of experience the American auto workers have. I have 7 relatives that worked for the GM plant in Moraine, Ohio and half the people they worked with couldn't change their own oil or tire if they had to. They hired people off the street that had never turned a wrench on a car before and then had them put a car together. That makes them just about as qualified as a Mexican that's never worked on a car either.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:32 PM
jsa3107
Senior User
I feel that luckydog is correct on many points here
Ford has a habit of buying parts from Mexico
Between my family and my company we have several Ford products
And many parts like front end parts and brake parts dont last
2 examples of many
We had a 2001 expedition at 68,000 mile we were told the ball joints were bad the service manager told me he had good news and bad news the bad news I needed new ball joints the good news Ford wasnt making them in Mexico anymore
I said well replace them and I asked was there any help from ford he said no
At 92,000 miles the ball joints were bad again I asked why and remineded him of what he said the last time he said I must of gotten some of the end of the Mexican ball joints I told him to replace them with non Ford parts he put Moog on it and they lasted till 138,000 and were still good and we traded it

Anouther example
2005 F-350 we use in our company
Rear brake was making a grinding noise at 38,000 miles we took it to the same dealer and was told it had a frozen caliper that bill by the time they were done was 672.00 again mexican parts I was told... Again I told the dealer no more mexican parts on my vehicles

I just ordered and 2010 f-350, I hope it is a good vehicle but one thing I am glad about is I got a 2010 before the 2011 come out with a Mexican motor
1st year motor is scarel enough with out adding that it is being made in mexico

And there have been more issues but I think you get the idea

Old 11-07-2009, 07:54 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jsa3107
I feel that luckydog is correct on many points here

And there have been more issues but I think you get the idea
My point is that you're going to find bad parts and shoddy work no matter where it's made. You can make a list of the Ford parts made in America that have gone bad too. Take a tour of any American assembly line or auto manufacturing plant and I assure you that you will see plenty of people who hate their job and half a$$ their work just to get the final product out the door. The majority of assembly lines have a quota. When you have a job where your raise, bonuses, etc are based on meeting those quotas, the goal of the employee becomes meeting that quota and not being concerned with the quality of the product. That's a problem you are going to find in America, Mexico, China or where ever products are mass produced. I prefer to buy American because it creates jobs here and helps our economy, but I wouldn't rule something out just because it's made somewhere else.

On a side note, I haven't heard any complaints about the Fusion/Milan/MKZ and they are made at Ford's Mexico plant.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:14 AM
bayouboy
Senior User
Interesting reading.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:53 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by miller_feed
I guess we are becoming a thing of the past. We do all the work on our trucks, but I don't know about the newer trucks.
I don't know whether you are a thing of the past. The main reason the exhausts are on the "top" of the engine is to allow easy access to the turbo.
I think its fair to say most HD truck owners have a fair bit of mechanical knowledge, and like a high degree of "serviceability" on their vehicles.
Something every iteration of the PSD hasn't really had (especially in comparison to a Cummins) and it has only got progressively worse with each new iteration.

BTW, here are a couple of photos I took of the engine (and the truck) at SEMA.

The truck looks a lot better in person too...

Old 11-08-2009, 01:48 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
how did my truck get in that photo!?

Old 11-09-2009, 04:04 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know Adrian, even with lots of parts off of that engine on the stand, it still looks like it will be a nightmare to work on. I guess this is a wait and see thing. Maybe the 6.7 forum will turn out to be like the 7.3 forum, and will have all the help one would need to make repairs on the engine. I may need to write off a new truck for the business soon, but I will also keep my trusted 7.3.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:07 PM
timberon94f350
Senior User
Luckydog, A Dodge is soooooooo much better..... NOT. I don't know where they assemble em now that Fix It Again Tony has taken over, but if you open up the glove box on the Ram HDs, it USED to say assembled in Saltillo, MEXICO. I am sure that somewher underneath all that crap, there's an engine. I really like the looks, but if I can't get one with 4 pedals & gears to row through because only "1 or 2% of the population" is too lazy to drive an auto then I don't want one.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:25 PM
richfaa
Elder User
"The parts are being ASSEMBLED into an engine by underpaid, underqualified, Mexican laborers. When someone doesn't know what they're doing, doesn't care what they're doing, and isn't paid enough to try to care what they're doing, then you end up with a shoddily built engine. " Whoa.. I assume you can back up those statements with some kind of proof. I am just guessing because i really DON'T know but i will bet that those motors are built to Ford standards and spec's. Why would Ford deliberately employ that kind of workforce and deliberately put a defective product on the market. Not very good for business. We now all live in a global economy. If one will not buy a product made in Mexico which IS a foreign country it does not make sense that one would buy from any foreign country..the result is the same... What is different about Mexico>>>>

It is of course your right to buy whatever you want.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:23 PM
LuckyDog1949
Junior User
Originally Posted by richfaa
What is different about Mexico>>>>
My EXPERIENCE with a vehicle that was Made In Mexico.

Originally Posted by richfaa
It is of course your right to buy whatever you want.
Then why did you bother posting?

If the engine was made in Canada, Germany, or Japan, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. The reason? Excellent manufacturing histories in those countries. 'Nuff said.

Quick Reply: If you are thinking of upgrading to the 2011 6.7