Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > General Automotive Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

General Automotive Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Senior User

crazyeddie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Arrogant Chevy-fan experiences?

I met some friends for luch today and one of my buddies brought along a guy that just moved up here to MI from KY. We're out in the parking lot afterwards and the guy's showing me his truck. Nice '90-something Silverado, way overcammed carbureted 350. We were all admiring and complimenting his truck and he walks over to my '76, cracks the hood, and goes, "Yeah - this is a no-***** truck. 150hp, 250ft/lbs." I'm like, "Dude, it ain't a 289 - it's a 460." Then to further compliment his ignorance, he wants to chain-up his 4WD Chevy to my 2WD Ford, in the restaurant parking lot and have a pull-off.

What the hell is the deal with people I'm not a Chevy die-hard but I can appreciate and compliment someone's Chevy! I've met way too many Chevy guys that will straight-up tell you to your face that your crap stinks and theirs is awesome because _______. Don't get me wrong, there are quite a few awesome Chevy guys out there that are cool and share props with the Ford crowd, but man - the nice guys are way outnumbered by the rude ones!

Anybody want to share a similar run-in with a Chevy bro?
Old 10-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Postmaster

fordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to behold
One of my really good buddies is a die hard Chevy guy. Its annoying, I have learned to live with it and usually ignore it. He's the "Chevy or die" type. I honestly don't see the appeal but then again I'm a Ford guy. Although even though I am a Ford guy I can appreciate a good truck regardless of brand.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/MatthewSimmons08/f150]
Old 10-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Postmaster

galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I grew up and went to school with my fair share, and never understood the pull off BS. Any more it is like politics I don't even bother getting in the discussion unless I know the person very well and know they can be relatively civil.
'08 CVPI
'09 F150 5.4L
'10 Mustang GT
Old 10-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckman View Post
One of my really good buddies is a die hard Chevy guy. Its annoying, I have learned to live with it and usually ignore it. He's the "Chevy or die" type. I honestly don't see the appeal but then again I'm a Ford guy. Although even though I am a Ford guy I can appreciate a good truck regardless of brand.
Exactly. The workmanship that goes into a vehicle is more important than the emblem on the grille. I have a few Chevy buddies and we all enjoy poking poking fun at eachother's rides, but we know eachother and it's all in good fun. I'd never tell a guy I've just met that he had a no-***** truck and start trying to rip off info on the goods under his hood!

Indeed, pull-offs are BS. What would a pull-off between a 4X4 and a 2X4 prove besides the fact that the 2X4 doesn't have enough traction?

Oh and get this... this scholarly buddy of my buddy graduated from college... with a degree in engine building... and he thinks he's pushing 400 horses out of a stock-internal 350 with nothing more than a big cam and an Edelbrock 600cfm adapted to a cast-iron intake! And then to say a stock carb'd 460 only gets 150hp and 250ft/lbs (ya right - with five dead cylinders, maybe ) What kind of operation are they running down there in Nashville?

Man I'm pissed
Old 10-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Posting Guru

monckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to behold
I like people who hate Ford trucks when they sell them to me cheap. Stupid people who are also deliberately annoying are among the folks it's an actual civic duty to take advantage of.

"Oh and get this... this scholarly buddy of my buddy graduated from college... with a degree in engine building."

Probably some useless community college out to make money from chumps. He should have spent the tuition money on tools instead.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Posting Guru

Sand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud of
How do you think I feel? I have both, so I have to be anti-Ford when I drive the GMC and then do an about-face and hate Chevys when I drive the Mustang! Seriously, though I work with a guy EXACTLY like what you describe. You know how it's fun to give someone a little crap about their brand of car, bike, shotgun or chainsaw? Well when GM and Chrysler had to take bailout money to survive, I told my co-worker, that it looks like we'll all be driving Fords soon, he went off on a conspiracy rant that you wouldn't believe! I mean all the way off the deep end. It's guys like him that made me decide to buy an F250 and all the loudmouth diesel guys that made me look for a V10. Now if I can just find a "Stop Global Warming" sticker for the bumper of it, I can freak out the greenies and be on everyone's list...
Old 10-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand_Man View Post
How do you think I feel? I have both, so I have to be anti-Ford when I drive the GMC and then do an about-face and hate Chevys when I drive the Mustang! Seriously, though I work with a guy EXACTLY like what you describe. You know how it's fun to give someone a little crap about their brand of car, bike, shotgun or chainsaw? Well when GM and Chrysler had to take bailout money to survive, I told my co-worker, that it looks like we'll all be driving Fords soon, he went off on a conspiracy rant that you wouldn't believe! I mean all the way off the deep end. It's guys like him that made me decide to buy an F250 and all the loudmouth diesel guys that made me look for a V10. Now if I can just find a "Stop Global Warming" sticker for the bumper of it, I can freak out the greenies and be on everyone's list...
Haha! You are the man
Old 10-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Posting Guru

Sand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud of
Oh, I also drive a '91 Mazda pickup to work, so that means I'm an import guy as well. So when I drive it from now on, I'll have to turn my hat sideways, put some gawd-awful foul-mouthed hip-hop in the stereo and talk crap about American cars...
Old 10-23-2009, 02:19 AM
Posting Guru

jimbo beam is a splendid one to beholdjimbo beam is a splendid one to beholdjimbo beam is a splendid one to beholdjimbo beam is a splendid one to beholdjimbo beam is a splendid one to beholdjimbo beam is a splendid one to behold
Its pretty much the same thing everywhere. Myself and a few buddies set up a little off-roadin club a couple years back. Back then about half the original members had 1973-87 Chevy trucks. We'd get into friendly rivalries back and forth between the Ford guys and the Chevy guys. Had to remind them that the reason you seen so many chevys out is because they're cheap and plentiful, exact same reason why every other car at the drag strip on street night is a 5.0 Fox Body Mustang, because they're cheap and everywhere.

We'd poke fun at each others rigs, but we had respect for what each of us had built. What I really hate is now our little club has grow to accept the "friends or friends", basically they're just random ******** who bring a completely stock truck out and then talk trash to everyone who drives something of another brand. The same guys who laugh when a completely stock Ford is getting pulled outta the mud by a Chevy sitting on 40 inch hawgs with about 10 inches of lift and lockers. "Haha, look at that chevy pulling that ford" they say, almost completely oblivious to the fact that the chevy is a certified mud machine and nothing else, while the Ford is a stock street truck. Had one of em giving me crap about my "puny" 302. He drove a completely stock Z71 Gmc 1500. I hooked chains with him in my 94 F150, I got out and locked the warns in, and i engaged both my Eaton E-lockers. I drug his sorry a$$ all the way down our trail, across the creek, and left him by the edge of the highway where his piece of crap belongs.

I can respect pretty much anything somebody builds. But I feel that people who talk crap and bring nothing but a stock rig to back it up need to be put in their place. My friends and I all give each other crap about what we drive, but at the end of day we all respect what each other have built, and we lend hands and tools to help each other out. We normally end the argument with the fact that at least none of our rigs are japanese
1996 F150. 306/4R70W. E303 cam, AFR205 heads, TrickFlow intake mani, CAI, 90mm TB, 30lb injectors, MSD 6A, JBA ceramic shorties, Bassani catless y-pipe, 3 inch single w/ Flowmaster super 44. B&M shift kit, Moates Quarterhorse tuned, etc etc...
1994 F150 4x4. 302/E4OD. "six litre tuneup" hedman long tubes, 2.5 inch duals w/ glasspacks. 3 inch lift, 33x12.50 BFG KM2's, 4.10 gears, front and rear Aussie lockers
1994 F150 4x4. 351/E4OD. Bone stock and staying that way...
Old 10-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Junior User

JoeCool6972 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I hate those types. Crapmaro owners seem to be the worst. I have owned three GM cars, and all three were junk! I have owned five Fords and all were great! So Ford only for me.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Postmaster

fordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to behold
I think of this when I read about brand arguments not just with trucks but with arguments with MAC vs PC, and PS3 vs. Xbox 360 etc... Never once when I read someones rant towards a brand has it made me think "Huh, ya know he's right" and switch to the brand that they are talking to highly of. Honestly what's the point of their argument.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/MatthewSimmons08/f150]
Old 10-24-2009, 06:19 AM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
we had a chevy is the best ford is crap idiot get stuck in the swamp on the farm a few years ago.
he called all his friends to come pull him out. they ended up getting 6 chevys and 3 dodges stuck.

one of the neighbors called the cops, and my cousin asked them if they wanted a wrecker. the guy said " only if it is a chevy, cause i ain't paying for a ford that will not do the job".

my cousin instantly called me and explained the situation.
i loaded 400 ft of chain in the rattletrap, and off i went. within 1/2 hour, i had them all out, and then to prove the point that a ford diesel is a better truck, i left by driving rite through the same spot he got stuck in.

he still puts down fords, and will not even acknowledge that i am alive. but that is alright, because everyone in town knows that he is a dyed in the wool rectal orifice.
and give the shirt off his back to a friend.
Steve Price was that kind of person.
Godspeed "window licker", the short bus will never be the same with you gone.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Elder User

mercman86 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My Chebby or die friend learned a long time ago to keep his trap shut when he realized that I was under the hood of his chebby more than any vehicle EVER! It was one thing after another. It seemed whenever he talked crap about fords or anything else, usually within a couple days i would get the call "dude my truck just quit" or "hey can you put a fuel pump on." The best was "theres a hissing noise comming out from under the hood" me over the phone: "DONT OPEN THE HOOD LET IT COOL!!" after that i hear the hood open and then "AWWW S@#t" as hot coolant sprayed him in the face!
1966 Falcon Ranchero 200ci I6 FCA#13787
2011 Escape XLS
Old 10-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Old, tired and grouchy

Old93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputation
One of my Chevy friends finally gave up and shut up when he looked around and noticed ALL of the gov., state, county, city and fleet vehicles are Fords around here. Even more satisfying when he finally crossed the line and bought a F-250.
84 Ranger 4x4 2.8 V-6 5spd......500,140 miles!
Dave
Oregon Assistant Chapter leader: To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 10-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
then to prove the point that a ford diesel is a better truck, i left by driving rite through the same spot he got stuck in.
That was a slap in the face!

I hear ya Jimbo. There's the clowns that think they can take everyone with a stocker and the clowns that rag on the stockers for not being able to keep up with the bigger-boys.

Chevy's are common. You can pick up chrome valve covers and intake manifolds at the drug-store. -My signature line lol
Old 10-25-2009, 08:02 PM