6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Fuel Milage

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 07:19 PM
duallydan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
where do you have info on the gear vendors OD for these?

Sam
I thought it was on their webpage. A ford 5 speed tranny. Was going to call and clarify a few things regarding towing weights, etc.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:07 PM
cp101
Freshman User
My $.02 . . . .

I've been trying dozens of different "non'tuner" ways to improve mileage over the past 12,000 miles. Here's the best thing I've figured out:

You can (and must) reduce the amount of DPF regen time to a minimum. Here are 2 ways you can do that:

1) - If you are mostly driving around town, try getting your truck on the highway for about a 20 minute uninterrupted run every 3 or 4 days. This will actually help delay the start of the next regen. You end up with far fewer regens per month if you do this.

2) - Once a regen cycle starts, DO NOT shut off your truck until the cycle completes. If you shut down before the cycle ends completely, another FULL regen cycle will initiate the next time you start the engine.

This works for me. I hope it also works for any of you who try it. Good luck.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:27 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i hate that regen cycle.
been borrowing my dads truck while im between trucks.
the dang thing comes on way to often killing fuel mileage.
if it where my truck,that would be bypassed asap!
according to the built in mpg gauge-who knows how accurate that is,
it generally says 12-13 working with a load on regularly.
not outstanding.but the thing has gobs of power.impressive.
f350 reg cab.-looked up the gears,but forgot them now sorry.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:27 AM
cp101
Freshman User
Without exageration, the regen cycle yesterday started with my fuel gauge at 1/4 and finished at 1/8 . . . . an eigth of a tank gone in 20 minutes! This is insanity at $3 a gallon !!!

Old 11-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Papi4baby
Junior User
I got my truck about a month ago.

I am at around 1100 miles. The computer displays 13.6. I put fuel yesterday and by my calculations i got 14.5. I drive 50mi round trip to and from work empty. And it's about 85/90% highway the fastest i'll go is 65. My speed is between 50 and 65 most of the trip. And i have yet to get a regen, well at least i have not seen a warning for it.

Edit, for extra info.

2010 F250 crew with 8' bed 4x4.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:01 AM
richfaa
Elder User
Without exageration, the regen cycle yesterday started with my fuel gauge at 1/4 and finished at 1/8 . . . . an eigth of a tank gone in 20 minutes! This is insanity at $3 a gallon !!!

There is something seriously wrong with your truck unless you ae doing 80/90MPH during that time. We will drop 2/3 mpg during a regen.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by cp101
You can (and must) reduce the amount of DPF regen time to a minimum. Here are 2 ways you can do that:

1) - If you are mostly driving around town, try getting your truck on the highway for about a 20 minute uninterrupted run every 3 or 4 days. This will actually help delay the start of the next regen. You end up with far fewer regens per month if you do this.

2) - Once a regen cycle starts, DO NOT shut off your truck until the cycle completes. If you shut down before the cycle ends completely, another FULL regen cycle will initiate the next time you start the engine.

This works for me. I hope it also works for any of you who try it. Good luck.
Have you ever heard of the saying "stepping over dollars to save pennies?" That 20 minute highway cruise will burn an additional 1-2 gallons of fuel that you don't need to burn. That dreaded regen cycle is awfully inefficient, there's no debate there. But even if you cut your regens in half, which isn't likely, you will NOT recoup the fuel you burn during your highway run. On the highway my truck seems to regen every 250-300 miles. I also have gotten as high as 17 MPG before on the highway, but I don't drive it like most people my age do.

Also, you're partially right about your second point. It is more efficient to let the engine do it's thing, but the regen cycles aren't timed or preset. It all revolves around the exhaust backpressure sensors and the way your PCM interprets their signals. One time I went into regen 5 minutes before I shut it down, and I didn't see another regen for over 100 miles. Other times I shut it off during regen and it starts immediately the next time the engine coolant gets over 164 degrees.

If I have more than a few days of not driving long enough to complete then I will get on the highway to clean it all out. Otherwise I just drive it normally.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:45 PM
duallydan
Junior User
Originally Posted by duallydan
I just towed my 36 foot car hauler halfway across Canada. Weighed in at about 32,000lbs total. Pulled like a mother. Averaged 6.5 mpg.

I drive a '08 f450 6.4 with the 4.88 rear end. That is the worst combo you can even dream of for mileage.

Just ordered up a bunch of goodies from Cobbs, H &S Tuner, going to straight pipe it, EGR delete plates, CFM intake elbow, cold air, and a intercooler pipe to replace the mashed one through the rad support.

Wanted to give you some REAL numbers on mileage and an update. Just did another 1000 mile round trip. Did the first half stock, and the second half with the dpf delete, h & s blackmaxx, and a cold air intake.

On the first half, averaged 10 miles per gallon (empty and hand calculated), on the way home (same roads, same speeds) averaged 15 miles per gallon.

This is an f450, 4.88 gears. ran at about 60 miles per hour the whole time.

My advice to everyone looking for mileage, get a tuner, ditch the dpf, and get an air intake....just do it.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:18 AM
cyrzee
New User
Fuel Mileage

I am looking for a little feed back on the 2008 F350 powerstroke. I have been told the fuel consumption is brutal on the 2008 powerstrokes?? I have come across a 2008 F350 King Ranch with approx. 10,000 miles on it. The low mileage makes me wonder why it is for sale so soon?? Any feed back would be great.
Cyrzee

Old 11-17-2009, 12:04 PM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just ask the dealer as many questions as you can about the truck, for instance; Was it a buy back? Is it a job #1,2,or 3? What has it had done there by the dealership? They must provide full disclosure. Ask for the Oasis report. You might even be able to find something on Carfax.com. Fuel mileage varies greatly depending on driving habits, terrain, gear ratios, etc.
These are really great trucks with lots of towing power. The EPA mandated a lot of crap that suffocates these beasts though. Good luck. Hope this helps some...

Old 11-17-2009, 08:20 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by cyrzee
I am looking for a little feed back on the 2008 F350 powerstroke. I have been told the fuel consumption is brutal on the 2008 powerstrokes?? I have come across a 2008 F350 King Ranch with approx. 10,000 miles on it. The low mileage makes me wonder why it is for sale so soon?? Any feed back would be great.
Cyrzee
Cyrzee, your not. You are wise to think about fuel mileage. It is awlful, more so for some, like those with DRWs or the 4.30 rear axle or the 4.10 rear axle a combination of the three. And most of all those with a heavy foot. If you can afford the fuel though it will pull a freight train up a hill. If you're gonna tow and its a DRW with a 4.10 or 4.30 expect 8 to 9 MPG. You might get it up a little by not using cruise but I wouldn't expect it. If you drive in town maybe 12 to 13 for that truck, some better for a SRW or a 3.73 rear. highway towing empty is not a lot better. Now if you're willing to modify the truck which will almost surely void the warranty there are folks on here who swear it will increase all those numbers significantly. BTW, I bought an 08 in may with 4000 on it. The guy had two other 6.4s and his fuel bill had to be killing him.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:39 PM
duallydan
Junior User
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Cyrzee, your not. You are wise to think about fuel mileage. It is awlful, more so for some, like those with DRWs or the 4.30 rear axle or the 4.10 rear axle a combination of the three. And most of all those with a heavy foot. If you can afford the fuel though it will pull a freight train up a hill. If you're gonna tow and its a DRW with a 4.10 or 4.30 expect 8 to 9 MPG. You might get it up a little by not using cruise but I wouldn't expect it. If you drive in town maybe 12 to 13 for that truck, some better for a SRW or a 3.73 rear. highway towing empty is not a lot better. Now if you're willing to modify the truck which will almost surely void the warranty there are folks on here who swear it will increase all those numbers significantly. BTW, I bought an 08 in may with 4000 on it. The guy had two other 6.4s and his fuel bill had to be killing him.
Try 4.88's in a f450. I got 10 mpg empty, and 6 with a full load (32,000 lbs total)... After I put in an H&S blackmax, straight pipe, and air intake I got 15mpg empty. Hand calculated, no bull****.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:15 AM
cyrzee
New User
Thanks for the feedback guys.
Cyrzee

Old 11-18-2009, 08:39 AM
percyad
Junior User
Thumbs up Does Cetane Booster Help Reduce Frequency of Regen?

Guys, now that I've had my '08 F250 6.4L for six months, I've noticed a pattern that regular use of DieselKlean additive or other cetane booster has dramatically reduced the frequency of exhaust cleaning/regen cycles. Before regular use of the additive, I was averaging a cycle every 250 miles. Now I regularly go past 600 miles before a cycle.

If the additives are improving combustion and reducing soot, that would lead to fewer cleaning cycles, correct?

Anyone else have a similar experience?

BTW: the additives are not cheap, in my case they are paying for themselves.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by percyad
BTW: the additives are not cheap, in my case they are paying for themselves.
Diesel Kleen IS cheap! It works out to somewhere around $2.00 a tank.

And you're right about it paying for itself, I've noticed my truck run better and get better MPGs with the use of additive.

I can't comment on the frequency of regens because I started using Diesel Kleen with 400 miles on the odometer, starting my second tank of fuel.

Quick Reply: Fuel Milage