Sponsored by:

1 ton F150 build-up

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:43 PM
TheTinian
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 ton F150 build-up

Im starting my build on my 99 F150 here in a few weeks. Yes, the one I just put a 6" lift and 4.88 gears in. Ive already got all that sold and the buyers are just waiting until I start ripping it apart again I actually won't loose any money, and Ive got almost everything figured out and going to start buying all my parts.

For the Front-
Running Dana 60 KP Front, Chromo axles with 35 spline outers, Hopefully I will have enough extra cash for some CTM's or the "Super Joint" from Randy's ring and pinion. Crossover with Hydro assist. Chevy 6" Springs with a 4.5" shackle.

Rear-
Sterling 10.25 welded, rear disc brake conversion. Shackle flip with an Add-a-leaf and a 4" block . (Only until I can get new rear spring). Will have traction bars though.....

Now one question I had concerning my transfer case. I have talked to a couple of people who have done the swap. The front driveshaft angle is pretty steep when all said and done. I dont know exactly how bad it will be. I am going to wait and see what I can do once everything is all set up. The way I see it I have 2 options.

1. Leave the tranny and tranfser case stock, and pay the money for a high angle driveshaft.
2. Pull the stock tranny and transfer case. Get a 2wd tranny, or if possible pull my transfer case and replace it with a 2wd tailshaft. Anyone has any knowledge on this speak up! Either way I'll have a stub shaft to a divorced 205 mounted center of the truck so both front and rear driveshafts are the same.

Questions, concerns, suggestions, bring em up now...

Heres something what it will look like when its all said and done....

Old 10-20-2009, 09:08 PM
master_mechanic
Senior User
you could put a doubler in it or a divorced 205, or possible run a married 205 and a divorced 205. and run 1410 series joints

Old 10-20-2009, 09:30 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your main concerns will be the vss and front leaf spring mounts. Get on pirate an talk jesse? hes got farmboyfab. I think his username is biggreen. hes done this and now has a cummins in his as well.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:19 AM
Prozon
Postmaster
Well i've been waiting for it since you mentioned it.

I'll keep bothering you about it. Just keep me posted.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:06 AM
TheTinian
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by crazyredneckanyhow
Your main concerns will be the vss and front leaf spring mounts. Get on pirate an talk jesse? hes got farmboyfab. I think his username is biggreen. hes done this and now has a cummins in his as well.
Ive talked to him a couple times. Im getting him to make my crossmember and shackle kit. His truck is the one that made me want to do the swap. I love that truck.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:10 AM
TheTinian
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by master_mechanic
you could put a doubler in it or a divorced 205, or possible run a married 205 and a divorced 205. and run 1410 series joints

I was thinking about that. Possibly run my stock transfer case to a divorced 205. Ive got to do some research about that since the truck will still be driven on the road, I dont know how it would effect driving if any.??

Old 10-21-2009, 06:12 AM
TheTinian
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Prozon
Well i've been waiting for it since you mentioned it.

I'll keep bothering you about it. Just keep me posted.
its ok. I'll probably be done with my build before you even start.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
Originally Posted by TheTinian
its ok. I'll probably be done with my build before you even start.
Sad but true.

Just make sure you build it right, so your not breaking it constantly. I seem to recall a couple breaks on the '77 lol.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:40 PM
TheTinian
Posting Guru
a couple??? I wish it was only a couple.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:08 PM
TheTinian
Posting Guru
anyone got any input on running a married to a divorced T-case?

Old 10-21-2009, 05:07 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have enough room to index the front case high enough to clear the front output of the rear case?
Remember that you are going to be running a later model front axle, and that diff is closer to the driver side wheel. Indexing the 205 any lower, will cause the front output to get closer to center, thus creating an even greater compound angle on the front driveshaft.
Compound angles are not the best.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:11 PM
TheTinian
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 75F350
Do you have enough room to index the front case high enough to clear the front output of the rear case?
Remember that you are going to be running a later model front axle, and that diff is closer to the driver side wheel. Indexing the 205 any lower, will cause the front output to get closer to center, thus creating an even greater compound angle on the front driveshaft.
Compound angles are not the best.
I dont think that would be too much of a problem being how the rear output of the stock case is on the bottom, and the front input of the 205 is on the top. From what I can see It is a possibility but its going to take more than rough measurements, which is all that I did. I can already see that the fuel tank will be a problem and if I do decide to take this route I'm going to have to buy a fuel cell as well as rerouting all my lines to my bed.
Would it effect highway driving at all running dual cases? Like I said before I dont know too much about it and I'm trying to learn all I can right now.

This is just an option im throwing around.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:23 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheTinian
I dont think that would be too much of a problem being how the rear output of the stock case is on the bottom, and the front input of the 205 is on the top. From what I can see It is a possibility but its going to take more than rough measurements, which is all that I did. I can already see that the fuel tank will be a problem and if I do decide to take this route I'm going to have to buy a fuel cell as well as rerouting all my lines to my bed.
Would it effect highway driving at all running dual cases? Like I said before I dont know too much about it and I'm trying to learn all I can right now.

This is just an option im throwing around.

I was not talking about the connection between the two cases, this is not a problem. The problem is the fron output of the 205. The front driveshaft will run into the front case. You dont have the floor clearance to rotate the front case up enough to clear the front driveshaft from the 205. If you index, or rotate the 205, the front output will be closer to the center of the truck and the front driveshaft will have a pretty severe compound angle.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:18 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I dont have any experience with doublers, but to get by a problem with the ft driveshaft hitting the ft transfer case could you use a chevy case in front (Dont know if that can be made to work) or a divorced 205 with right side output to the front then use a dana 60 from a dodge or chevy?

Old 10-22-2009, 06:13 PM
351slug
Elder User
What good does doubling do for a mud truck that see's no rocks? Im just asking. I thinking power and wheel speed.

Quick Reply: 1 ton F150 build-up