Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southern Region > Georgia Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Georgia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: ChiefM SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-07-2002, 06:17 PM
New User

jim dog is starting off with a positive reputation.
Post 1988 150 lariat fuel problem

i have been having a problem with the fuel system in my truck./
a little history
the truck had been setting for about year
had to replace clutch
then i had to replace tank and front fuel pump
ran for about month then it quit on my son and he had it towed to a place in orangeburg, my wife spent $500 on replaceing the same fuel pump that i had just put on.
well they drove it back to elko and it quit running again.

when i got home i picked it up where they left it and it cranked right up, i started to drive it back home and it start sputering,coughing and basicly quit, it started back up about 5 minutes later and i drove it maybe 3 miles and it starting missing again, as long as i was pumping the peddle it would start again i finally got it home and thats where it is setting now.
i'm not much on fuel systems as this problems seems to be.
any input would be appreciated.
thanks

jim in elko
Old 11-10-2002, 06:54 AM
Junior User

bmoran is starting off with a positive reputation.
1988 150 lariat fuel problem

Jim,

You might want to try changing the "sock" in the fuel tank. It's at the suction end of the tube in the bottom of the tank and when they clog it gives you the symptoms that you describe. If they didn't change it when they changed the tank it's probably clogged with rust, etc..

Unfortunately, this can drive you nuts trying to find. About the only way to do it is to get a fuel pressure gage and drive the truck with the pressure gage hooked up and watch it when the truck starts to run poorly. If the fuel pressure is dropping, then you have a problem in the fuel delivery and since you have replaced most of the other pieces, this could be the issue.

Bill
PS, PDB, Tilt, etc.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:03 PM
New User

Brett200 is starting off with a positive reputation.
1988 150 lariat fuel problem

Old 11-17-2002, 08:03 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southern Region > Georgia Chapter

Tags
1988, ford, fuel, lariat, pump