General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

where's the muscle?

Old 06-14-2002, 06:03 PM
Tyger9791
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where's the muscle?

just saw "fast and the furious", and was highly disappointed in the cars...honda civics? come on! sad *** cars. i was all hyped up for a good car movie, and was let down. i cringed when i watched as they put ugly decals on the sides instead of doing airbrush work, and thought that they wasted the nitro on these pathetic rice-burners. where's the american muscle? thought i was crazy, what's up with kids wanting to "hot rod" hondas? i think they're ugly and cheap. and what's with people who buy expensive rims and wheels but their car/truck looks and performs like crap? seriously, where i live, kids spend $3k on tires and rims, but their ride is a rust bucket that cant go over 50mph. i'm a firm believer in performance first, close second is appearance, and if ur gonna do appearance, u gotta go all out, not just a few shiny rims. thats just great (sarcasm) the shine just accentuates the fact that ur ride looks like crap!!!

Tyger9791
'96 Ford Explorer XLT "Tonka Truck"

Old 06-14-2002, 06:25 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
where's the muscle?

I agree Tyger.
I rented it and saw it for the 1st time.

It's a shame "The STAR" of the movie shows up in the last 12 minutes only to go to Car heaven.

[font color=red]Dennis

Calgary,Alberta,Canada[/font]

[link:www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html|FTEModerator]

http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Minimorleytruck.JPG

http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Mil1ion.html

[font color=red]
Please Don't Ask Me Any Tough Questions,
"I'm Saving My Memory For When I Develop Alzheimer's" [/font]

[font color=blue]78 F-150 429CJ,Silver,Explorer Pkg.
[/font]

Old 06-16-2002, 03:11 AM
DailyDriver
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where's the muscle?

Marketing. Kid now days just like in days past want to be accepted among their peers. Yesterday it was the G.T.O., Mustang, Dodge Charger, Challenger, Barracuda, '57' Belair, Chevy S.S. etc. Lots of kids had them or wanted them. Big was in. Now big muscle cars are out, small economy cars are in now days among the younger generation. And the Japanese car manufactures are making cars that appeal to them. And the after market has jumped on the band wagon. I guess the challenge is to see how much muscle you can squeez out of those little things, even though they might sound funny to us. They like the coffee can muffler sound, we like the flowmaster and glasspack sound. Are parents probably thought the same about us when we were kids. Now the american car manufactures make cars that appeal to their parents. That's why family cars and S.U.V.'s are big among older folks. (no pun intended). Todays muscle cars like the Mustang, Viper or Corvette are for us older drivers and cost too much for a kid with a summer job to afford. If American car manufactures would market a muscle car for todays younger kid drivers, they might go for it. But the lawyers might start circling over head waiting for the first kid to die in a crash. Just my thoughts.

Old 06-16-2002, 09:36 AM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
where's the muscle?

Daily has got it right. Simply put, Muscle cars of any type are too expensive for the average high school/college student. Plus, you have to figure in the cost of insurance. It'd cost an arm and a leg for a 18 y.o. male to insure a 2002 Mustang GT. But he could probably get a 2002 Civic cheaper, plus insurance would be cheaper. On top of that, for a student who has limited money to begin with, the mpg of a Civic would be better than the aforementioned GT. BTW, if you want a car movie with some neat American cars where you have a Ford as the star then rent "Gone in 60 Seconds" with Nicholas Cage.

Gary
==============================
1946 pickup-ongoing project
1946 pickup-waiting for resto.
1947 pickup-parts truck
1957 Ford FL 500 Town Victoria
1970 Mustang FB-daily driver
1972 Olds Vista Cruiser-4 sale
1988 Bronco II-for sale

Old 06-16-2002, 12:24 PM
Vampiro
Cargo Master
where's the muscle?

i know i can't afford a v8 71 mustang, cause i can barely afford my truck. but i would rather be drivnig a 57 bel-air, mustang, dodge charger, another ford truck, than any of these new "fast cars" the ricers. call me old, but im 18 and in my own view the real muscle cars where from the 60-70's. not the 90-2002's. a civic will never win a race against some of the old muscle cars no matter how much nos and shiney rims/stickers/ yellow strips /musffler tips it has

Old 06-16-2002, 01:00 PM
icelander
Elder User
where's the muscle?

>i know i can't afford a v8 71 mustang, cause i can barely
>afford my truck. but i would rather be drivnig a 57 bel-air,
>mustang, dodge charger, another ford truck, than any of
>these new "fast cars" the ricers. call me old, but im 18
>and in my own view the real muscle cars where from the
>60-70's. not the 90-2002's. a civic will never win a race
>against some of the old muscle cars no matter how much nos
>and shiney rims/stickers/ yellow strips /musffler tips it
>has

thats EXACTLY what i was gonna say vamp. im 26 and my dream car has always been a 57 chevy from the first time i saw one. i have been blessed in my life, ive gotten to drive some of the best "old" metal on the road and i wouldnt trade that for ANY ricer, i dont care whats in it or how fast it is. theirs NOTHING like the sound and power of a big V8. i bought a 69 chrysler newport conv. a few years ago for 700 bucks. i could have bought a little import for that price but i didnt want it. that old chrysler didnt have a top, the paint was faded, the interior was decent exept for a huge rip in the drivers seat, and the trunk pan was totally shot, but as soon as that guy turned the key and that 383 big block came roaring to life.......i was hooked! after i bought the car, i used to start it just to hear it run!

i agree with dennis, the star of that movie appeared in the last 12 min. when they wrecked it i was yelling at the tv " how could you do that!" why couldnt they wreck the rice burner it was racing?

Old 06-16-2002, 01:34 PM
460lover
Senior User
where's the muscle?

>Daily has got it right. Simply put, Muscle cars of any type
>are too expensive for the average high school/college
>student. Plus, you have to figure in the cost of insurance.
> It'd cost an arm and a leg for a 18 y.o. male to insure a
>2002 Mustang GT. But he could probably get a 2002 Civic
>cheaper, plus insurance would be cheaper. On top of that,
>for a student who has limited money to begin with, the mpg
>of a Civic would be better than the aforementioned GT. BTW,
>if you want a car movie with some neat American cars where
>you have a Ford as the star then rent "Gone in 60 Seconds"
>with Nicholas Cage.
>
>Gary
>==============================
>1946 pickup-ongoing project
>1946 pickup-waiting for resto.
>1947 pickup-parts truck
>1957 Ford FL 500 Town Victoria
>1970 Mustang FB-daily driver
>1972 Olds Vista Cruiser-4 sale
>1988 Bronco II-for sale

Now Gone in 60 Seconds (both the original and the new one) are great car movies, my dad, my brother, and even my mom liked that movie. Cars that roar rule. When I get the money, I'm putting glass packs on my truck. I also am putting heads and headers on it.

Old 06-16-2002, 02:03 PM
93_F150_4x4_Mike
New User
where's the muscle?

Hell Yeah them damn Jap machines ain't got know power at all. Me being 17 was faced with a decison to but a car and what i wanted. Two things i new for sure were Ford and V8. All American power. I hate those rice burner pieces of crap. Give me my 5.o and flowmaster 40 series to blow the doors right off them. The way i look at it is if i can't beat you in a race i can probally drive over u.

Old 06-16-2002, 02:07 PM
Vampiro
Cargo Master
where's the muscle?

seems like me and icelander have something in commin!

wether it be a chevy 350, ford 302, 351, ect, dodge 360 w/e i love the maerican muscle cars. chevy and dodge trucks don't hold up against ford, but some of the old cars from all 3 companys rule! the 57 2 door chevy bel-air is a beauty. it's my fav. all time car.

Old 06-16-2002, 02:29 PM
might_b_giant
Junior User
where's the muscle?

I do see some merit in these so called "rice burners". Partialy because i belive these young men and women have captured the spirit of the original hot rodders; that is to modify and bring what you got. Your run of the mill teenager just doesn't have the kind of funds one needs to buy classic rodding fodder,however; It is possible for him or her to buy a late model Civic or the like for a few thousand dollars and increase the power and looks to his or her liking. The same thing happened in the 40's and 50's when rodding got it's start, kids couldn't afford the brand new fin monsters that detroit was putting out so they scoured junk yards and barns for cars they could afford.

Personaly i kind of like some of these fast little street rods. The SVT Focus has 170 naturally asperated horses and weighs 2750 pounds. That's a little less than 17 lbs for every hp unit. Not too shaby when you consider a brand new mustang gt has one hp for every 12.5 pounds. The focus also has a big pool of aftermarket parts to draw from which can increase the 170 base, not to menton the fact that the focus costs quite a bit less than a new GT and given a head to head race on a curvey road track i would give the focus pretty good odds of beating the GT because if it's tuned suspension and bigger brakes.

This also isn't to say i like everything that's going on with these micro-rods. I would never cover my car with a decail unless the company it promotes was paying me a pretty penny, a lot of these kids just do it to boast, much like people did with BOSS decails on the side of thier classic mustangs, it's just on a grander(and dumber) scale. A lot of these cars are all show and no go, these kids figured out that it's a lot cheaper to make you car LOOK fast rather than it actully being fast. While a 2 foot tall spoiler might be usefull when going over 150mph, it much less usefull when you car isn't even rear wheel drive and you top out at 85 on the highway. Those spolier might even decrease grip by lifting the front wheels off the ground. Stupid.

All and all it's still a realtivly new area of hod rodding, if given time to mature i am sure 50 years from now old men will sit around complaing that the new electric-hybrid hot rods aren't anything comapired to the civics and focuses of their youth.

~eriC

Old 06-16-2002, 03:20 PM
icelander
Elder User
where's the muscle?

sorry eric, but i dont think so. there will never be an era like the 50's and 60's as far as cars go. these new cars will never have the mystiqe or the metal and "off the showroom floor" performance that the classic cars did.

Old 06-16-2002, 03:38 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
where's the muscle?

I think that most of today's kid's regarding cars is MONEY and Bolt-on and usually at a performance or trick-out shop.

Yesterday's kid's during the 50's/60's was the do-it-yourself/make-it-yourself mentality as far as Rodding goes.

The 60's & early 70's muscle cars were "from the factory"powerful.

Unless it's true sports car > the 90's + are all ADD-On's.

[font color=red]Dennis

Calgary,Alberta,Canada[/font]

[link:www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html|FTEModerator]

http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Minimorleytruck.JPG

http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Mil1ion.html

[font color=red]
Please Don't Ask Me Any Tough Questions,
"I'm Saving My Memory For When I Develop Alzheimer's" [/font]

[font color=blue]78 F-150 429CJ,Silver,Explorer Pkg.
[/font]

Old 06-16-2002, 03:46 PM
460lover
Senior User
where's the muscle?

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 16-Jun-02 AT 04:47 PM (EST)]Hell, when I first got my truck, I challenged a rice burner to a race (fully expecting it to kick my ***) and I blew it's doors of, even while leaving about 2 feet of rubber off the light.

Old 06-16-2002, 05:54 PM
77460ford
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post where's the muscle?

When I played the "Fast and the Furious", the picture was frozen and zoomed in on when the blown Charger was shown in the garage. I then had my girls pay hommage to the blower gods.
What really burns me is when I go to the Car Show and a third of the vehicles are rice burners. To make matters worse is the how young the kids are and the money they have to buy these new cars and modify them. I was talking to an older drag racer at the last show who said the kid beside him had 40K in the new rice wagon. 40K! the motor i could build for my old girl with that......

Old 06-16-2002, 06:15 PM
LRDTRXR
Freshman User
where's the muscle?

i think some of the faster ricers should be given credit. i have a 86 crx si that we trashed for fun. the motor was so tierd it wouldn't go over 75 but it still burnt the tires off real good. My friends gonna be turbo charging his crx here within the next year. it's the kids that put the altezza tail lights, big wings, decals,and carbon fiber that i dislike. my friends civic has light rims and thats it for apperance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: where's the muscle?