Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Senior User

h2guy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Broken Lumbar Support

Anyone have a diagram/drawing/pic of how the cable in the seat back of an '01 Lariat Capt's Chair seat lumbar support mechanism is rigged??

Mine has broken at the cable's end but I think I can fix it but don't know thru which holes or pieces of the framework the cable runs through & over to tension up the support itself.

"Preciate it!!
Old 10-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Senior User

agg_bagg is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
subscribing. interested on how they work.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Mine broke right after I bought the truck.
I had tightened it down too hard and it pulled the cable out of the upper whatchamacallit that adjusts the lumbar.
I didn't take any pictures, but basically you have to remove the seat back from the bottom half. There are bolts that secure the seat back to the bottom half underneath the side trim on the bottom.
Once that is done, lay the seat back on the bottom half and look along the bottom of the seat back's upholstery.
You will see the seam there, separate the seam and lift the upholstory up off the seat.
What I found was the cable was still good, but the female part of where it goes into was pulled through because I cranked it down too hard.
I re-inserted the cable and then fashioned something around the base of the end of the cable so that it was much larger than it was before.
The hardest part was getting the bottom seam back together because I had to overcome the tension of the fabric and get the seam to zip back together.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Senior User

Thanks Dan. I've gotten the seat back off okay, but I don't understand the routing of the cable. Thats what I really need to "see".
Old 10-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Of the next Riffraff East

zx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant future
I replaced mine a few years ago, but don't remember being any problem routing the cable. I had to replace the lumbar support itself. Not hard once you get to it.
Pete's Filter Covers~ Roadside Help Network~ Riffraff Diesel Performance
Old 10-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Postmaster

aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.
Does the passenger side have lumbar? Could take that one off and look. It's what I had to do on mine.

ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician

Current Vehicles:
2002 F-250 7.3L PSD 4x4 XLT
2002 Sunset Orange Mettalic WS6 Trans Am Convertible

"Maybe is for those who lack skill"
Old 10-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Senior User

As Roberto DiVecinzo said when he lost the Masters by signing an incorrect scorecard:::::

I AM A STUPID!!

As pointed out, the passenger seat has what I'm looking for installed in it.

Duhhhhhh.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:11 PM
Elder User

jeffdoerr is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have some extra lumbar parts if you need. These are easy, the worst part is removing the seat from the truck. Pull the armrest cover back, remove the bolt. Unhook the back seat cover, at the bottom.. . Roll up the back seat cover about half way, just grab and pull, let it roll inside out. Pull the foam insert away from the frame and all the stuff is there. Nothing to it. Just a simple plastic part that will eventually break. Easy to change. I have done 4 of these in the last few months. Its also a good time to add seat heaters at this point.....
Old 11-24-2011, 02:33 PM
New User

jetflyr is starting off with a positive reputation.
In reference to your lumbar support response from a few years ago; did you replace the actual bag that inflates? If so, where did you get it?

Thanks,
TOM
Old 11-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetflyr View Post
In reference to your lumbar support response from a few years ago; did you replace the actual bag that inflates? If so, where did you get it?

Thanks,
TOM
Mine wasn't a bag that inflates, it was a square plastic pad that would bend like a bow when you tightened the cable.
That is what provided the lift on mine.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Postmaster

Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Any body have to replace the handle. Mine broke off a couple of years ago. I guess sliding out of the truck I use to catch it and broke the round handle. Thanks ahead of time,

Chet
Old 11-25-2011, 04:05 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2003, 2007, broken, cable, diagram, f150, f250, ford, fords, lumbar, part, parts, seat, support, working