Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

LED lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:06 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LED lights

Dave, were you able to change the stock lights to LED as well? (front signal lights) Will the flasher still function correctly when signaling?

Wish I could change the headlights. Now that would be a neat trick.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Currently I still have regular bulbs in the instrument cluster, front parking/turn signal, headlights and a set of utility lights mounted on the bed.

Cab lights, side marker, bed clearance, stop/tail/turn and reverse are all LED's.

I bought a set of 1157A LED bulbs for the front turn/park lights, but only one LED lights for the park light.
With the standard lens, not enough light to be seen in the daylight or even when on well illuminated streets at night so I did not install them.
The electronic flasher I have so there is no flasher rate difference when I am towing a trailer seemed to handle the LED just fine.

I also bought some LED driving lights to replace the rear utility lights, but I am a little concerned that they are not bright enough with enough light spread for those cold snowy nights when I am plowing dark lots with obstacles.
Guess I could install them on a separate circuit so I can have both and make a decision after using them a couple times.

The back up lights appear to not put out as much light, but with the dark green grass and the bluer LED light, that may just be color perception which will be different when everything is white.

HID lights draw much less power, but after having a couple HID equipped cars follow me at night, I hate them.
With my west coast mirrors, a high beam HID car over 1/2 mile behind me totally blinds me.
Not sure if the color temp of the light or the driver being oblivious to others on the highway is why they are on high beam, but blinding others is not good.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:31 AM
dyoung14
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when i still had my othr truck i took the stock bulbs out of my cab light and wired some orange leds in, orange leds with orange lense gives off nice burnt orange color that looks great at night

Old 10-17-2009, 12:56 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Mainly I'm thinking of using "drop in" replacement LEDs in my saturn because every power drain will add up on the range on the car when its finished. But if they work well, I would gladly swap over the lights in my truck too.

Hadn't thought of the interior lights, but those could be replaced too. Does the dimmer switch still work with LEDs?

I just can't get past the 95% efficiency verses 5% for regular incandescent bulbs.

The other thing is reliability. Since switching to LEDs for our boat trailer and highway trailer, electrical problems have been zero. Several years later and they still work like new. Both are exposed to salty conditions.

Maybe these would be bright enough?:

Tail Light Brake Light Turn Signal LED Bulbs

Old 10-17-2009, 05:02 PM
dyoung14
Posting Guru
something i been wonderin for a while is if we can get led's for the gauge cluster

Old 10-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
This is what I am rinning in the cab and side marker lights on the cab.

AutoZone.com | Mini-Bulb | AmberHyperBrightLEDBulb

The flatbed has 2.5" round sealed marker lights and 4" round sealed S/S/T lights and 4" round sealed backup lights, so those don't really apply to stock trucks.
I bought all of them at heavy truck parts supply houses.

The 1157's I bought were from a place that does not have online inventory and I don't have the packaging any more to find the manufacturer.

With the dome light, the small wedge base like a 194 makes most LED's point to the side, so that is not so good.

I have a spare insturment cluster that I took the green shades out of as an experiment, and I think LED's would work, but I also do not think the dimmer will work anymore so that may be a problem.

Still when I look at my truck, 9 marker lights and four stop/signal/turn plus 2 reverse lights on the bed which would have been 9 194 bulbs and 4 1157 bulbs and 2 1156 bulbs.
Power savings there was considerable and bulb life on LED's is increadable.

Add in two side markers and five cab lights, again going from 194's to LED's made a big difference.

The front turn signals, I am sure I will find the correct bulbs for them, but one LED for the parking light circuit and 24 for the flasher circuit just don't cut it on the parking light brightness.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:53 AM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I went to superbrightleds.com and got 7 of the WLED-(color code)5 bulbs and put them in the cluster/HVAC panel of my 93. Each bulb has 5 leds, 4 radials and 1 straight up. They light up my dash quite evenly and the do work with the dimmer switch just fine. I used blue leds, come to think of it I have about 58 blue leds in the cab of my truck now. I've ordered lots of stuff from this place and never been disappointed, shipping is quick too.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:03 AM
David85
Lead Driver
There is an aftermarket volt meter in the diesel ranger and simply popping the truck in reverse causes a noticeable spike in power draw. Although my sister managed to find some rare halogen bulbs for the backup lamps so that might have something to do with it but still, those are only 2 bulbs. But you sure can see when backing that thing up.

Looking at the ones you used, it seems they have 4 bulbs. The ones I found have over 20 depending on the exact model. I wonder if that would be bright enough for flashers too.

Don't see a problem with dome or interior lights if they are too bright, but I wonder about the cluster gauge lights. Now that I think about it, I would rather like to swap the interior lights over because let me tell you that dome light gets HOT with both map lights on.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:03 AM
David85
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Sycostang67
I went to superbrightleds.com and got 7 of the WLED-(color code)5 bulbs and put them in the cluster/HVAC panel of my 93. Each bulb has 5 leds, 4 radials and 1 straight up. They light up my dash quite evenly and the do work with the dimmer switch just fine. I used blue leds, come to think of it I have about 58 blue leds in the cab of my truck now. I've ordered lots of stuff from this place and never been disappointed, shipping is quick too.
Good to know the dimmer will work, and thanks for the link.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:10 AM
bigblu78
Senior User
Recon truck lighting is a great place to by LED replacemet style bulbs from. They carry 360 degree LED bulbs as well as many other replacement lights. Good place to deal with and great products. Their site is www.gorecon.com

Old 10-25-2009, 10:46 AM
timothyr
Senior User
dave85, if your sister found the same reverse lights I found they are 55w 1156....so 2 bulbs = 9 amps

but you can see the tree before you back into it