Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2009, 07:58 AM
Posting Guru

DBGrif91 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DBGrif91 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
How to fix wiper "bounce"?

A search didn't produce any results for this particular problem.

Anyway, my wipers work just fine as far as settings go, but every time I use them they "bounce" across the windshield rather than wipe smoothly. It's done this for as long as I've owned the truck and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with condition of the wiper blades. I've replaced them twice since owning it [a little over 2 years now] and they still do it.

Just don't know what to do about it. The only thing I can think of is if there's some way to tighten the springs inside the arms, but I don't know for sure.

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Thanks.
"Official Project Stages: (1) Uncritical Acceptance. (2) Wild Enthusiasm (3) Dejected Disillusionment. (4) Total Confusion. (5) Search for the Guilty. (6) Punishment of the Innocent. (7) Promotion of the Non-participants."
-Unknown
Old 10-17-2009, 08:03 AM
Posting Guru

jplinville has a very good reputation on FTE.jplinville has a very good reputation on FTE.jplinville has a very good reputation on FTE.jplinville has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGrif91 View Post
A search didn't produce any results for this particular problem.

Anyway, my wipers work just fine as far as settings go, but every time I use them they "bounce" across the windshield rather than wipe smoothly. It's done this for as long as I've owned the truck and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with condition of the wiper blades. I've replaced them twice since owning it [a little over 2 years now] and they still do it.

Just don't know what to do about it. The only thing I can think of is if there's some way to tighten the springs inside the arms, but I don't know for sure.

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Thanks.
My 91 F-150 used to do this. I went to the local pick-n-pull and snagged another set of arms and removed the springs. I was able to, due to my job, locate another set of springs that were the same wire size, but 2 coils shorter and re-install the springs. It worked much better.

You may be able to remove the springs and bend the loops to make them shorter, but I didn't want to take the time to do that when I had other's available for my use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raystankewitz View Post
These are not sissy trucks to cruise the mall with - they are real trucks meant to work hard.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:06 AM
Posting Guru

DBGrif91 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DBGrif91 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I guess I should have mentioned that mine is a 91 F150 as well. I will pull the arms off and see what I might be able to do.

Thanks for the suggestion.
"Official Project Stages: (1) Uncritical Acceptance. (2) Wild Enthusiasm (3) Dejected Disillusionment. (4) Total Confusion. (5) Search for the Guilty. (6) Punishment of the Innocent. (7) Promotion of the Non-participants."
-Unknown
Old 10-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Postmaster

muscletruck7379 has a good reputation on FTE.muscletruck7379 has a good reputation on FTE.muscletruck7379 has a good reputation on FTE.
you might also want to try cleaning your blades with some rubbing alcohol, and cleaning your windshield really good with some ammonia.
1984 mercury capri, 5.0 conversion, my little monster...
1961 ford falcon, all stock, in family since '68
Old 10-17-2009, 03:01 PM
<---Dog is my co-pilot

ArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputation
I replaced my arms...
If that fails realize that the linkage from the motor to those wipers is probably as worn as mine.
I don't know if there are bushings available to take the slop out, but I'm subscribing to find an answer.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg117/donjamer/FTE%20Pics/blumax500-1-1.jpgFTE Fraternity of Blue Max
Old 10-17-2009, 03:37 PM
New User

Adamjr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscletruck7379 View Post
you might also want to try cleaning your blades with some rubbing alcohol, and cleaning your windshield really good with some ammonia.
I agree with using a really good window cleaner on the windshield. There are some spray foam ones (can't remember the brand, sorry) available in the car wash and cleaning section of most big auto supply stores.

As far as alcohol, never use it on rubber. What it does for you in the short term in removing dirt it is the worst possible thing to use on rubber. It will cause your blades to dry up in really short order. I speak from 15 years experience where I clean rubber parts all day every day.

Now for the best way you will probably laugh but it works when I have rubber with grip issues. First clean the blades really well with a non-ammonia and non-alcohol window cleaner. Then take some Lubriderm hand lotion (yes, I did intentionally type Lubriderm) and sparingly apply it to a lint free paper towel so it just wets the surface of the towel. Rub the blades with the moistened towel in full length strokes about 5 times each.

I came up with the Lubriderm fix about 12 years ago working on a piece of equipment for a very pretty woman with a real cheap boss that didn't want to replace parts that needed replacing. I dug through my bag and figured what the heck. The fix lasted 5 years until a board went and they replaced the machine.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Elder User

jade79 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The ones on my 95 do this as well. I can replace the blades and they go back to doing it again very soon after. Yet I never have trouble with the ones on my 79 and I get both blades from the same parts store. When I lift the blades away from the windshield it seems the rubber has deformed (bent down) from the constant downward pressure of the arm springs. I've seen some cars that have a little plastic "ramp or spacer" where the arms park and slightly lift off the windshield so there's no pressure on the rubber blades. I've always wanted to fabricate something like this for the 95 in hopes it would solve the problem. Trouble is, it's just way down on my "to do" list and I haven't done it yet.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Posting Guru

jplinville has a very good reputation on FTE.jplinville has a very good reputation on FTE.jplinville has a very good reputation on FTE.jplinville has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk View Post
I replaced my arms...
If that fails realize that the linkage from the motor to those wipers is probably as worn as mine.
I don't know if there are bushings available to take the slop out, but I'm subscribing to find an answer.
If you know someone with a lathe available for use, then bushings are readily available

Quote:
Originally Posted by raystankewitz View Post
These are not sissy trucks to cruise the mall with - they are real trucks meant to work hard.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:11 AM
Postmaster

87 XLT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
On my wifes 95 Taurus the driver side wiper would bounce in one direction only.

The problem was a twist in the wiper arm which pushed the blade in one direction (bounce) and pulled it in the other direction (no bounce)

A simple twist of the arm with 2 crescent wrenches corrected it.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Post Fiend

TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I think the bushings are available in the "HELP" section.

The wiper linkage on my truck was worn out, so I got new linkage parts from NPD or LMC.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Posting Guru

Thanks for all the suggestions/advice guys. I'm hoping to get the arms pulled off this afternoon to have a look at things and see what I want to do with them.

87XLT- as far as twisting my wiper arms goes... there's currently no [obvious] twist already in them, so I don't think that's an issue. But I'll see how things go and then maybe I'll end up trying that anyway.
-Unknown
Old 10-18-2009, 05:59 PM
New User

gladesteen is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 93 is doing the exact same thing. I've tried everything inluding, yesterday, changing out the arms. It still goes back to its crazy hopping madness......it MUST be the linkage.
I've heard that its a royal PITA to get to the backside of the motor to see what's going on, but i dont think i have a choice.

-Glade
Old 10-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Posting Guru

rikard is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
On my 94 the bounce was caused by a bad electrical connection at the module under the pass side dash.
regards
rikard
Nelly Belle 1995 Black F150 4x2 SC XLT 300 5 Spd 250k miles
Old 10-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Postmaster

9.ford.5 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.9.ford.5 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
look at the wiper blades against the windshield, they should come up perpendicular to the glass, if they are too far out the blade pushes ahead of the arm causing the chattering, when it should switch and drag behind the arm so there is no chatter...look like this _|_ youre golden, look like this _\_ or this _/_ and you gotta bend the arms to correct as mentioned above, this is also why your blades would be bent in one direction

my 91 the wipers jolt across the glass but its not the wipers themselves it got to be something with the linkage or motors, it only happens once in a while, like the motor is spinning out then catching again

"blue bandit" 95 f150 4x4, 300 INLINE SIX!, 5speed, d44 SAS, NP205, 4" lift, 35x13.50 ground hawgs, 4.56's
"clifford II" 07 f350 ext. cab 4x4
05 Pete 379X, 625hp CAT, 18 spd tranny, and loads of shiney!
Old 10-18-2009, 10:39 PM