Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

I Picked Up A New Hobby.....

Old 10-16-2009, 08:46 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I Picked Up A New Hobby.....

I'm now a dork, as my wife would put it. I am trying my hand at metal detecting. I bought one a couple weeks ago. Have only gotten to take it out twice. The flu kept me down for a few days. Anyway, it's been fun for me and my boys to get out dig some holes and search for buried treasure.

Nope, no big finds yet. No gold either. We've found a total of 14 cents and a ton of trash sitting below the grass surface.

Does anybody have any older property in Oklahoma that they wouldn't mind having me metal detect? I'm racking my brains trying to think of old historic public places to check out, but I'm not from OK and have no family here with land. If anybody else is into Metal Detecting lemme know and we can do some treasure hunting.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Well, I used to do it with my grandfather before he passed away... then my uncle stole and pawned his detector off. Sure wish I had one, I'd go with you. I always enjoyed it.

My grandfather always told me the best place to find old money is at the schools. Older the better.

Man, I sure wish I had one.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:31 PM
78fordtruckgirl
Freshman User
The lot I live on had a trailer house that burnt a few years ago. I found the remains of a single shot pistol & 2 rings without using a detector. Lots of nails and other metal too but you're more than welcome to come & explore here if you want. I'm off next Sunday!

Old 10-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Sounds fun.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:36 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Thanks for the offer Alice. I'll keep that in mind. We got out this morning for an hour and searched a ball field from the 1960s. Found 32 cents(newer quarter and pennies), a neat rail road tie(square nail thingy), softball, and miscellaneous junk. I plan on visiting the Owasso historical museum to see where all the old searchable lots are. I'm still searching the google terrain maps for open areas and old lots. I cant think of any old school lots. There used to be one by the airport but i figured when they tore it down last year they probably put a lot of nails and other junk on top of the dirt. It would be near impossible to search with all that extra debri in the dirt now.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:06 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ron,

The property that school that was torn down belongs to the airport. I don't think you would be able to search there.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:18 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Thx, Mike. I don't think I'll search there anyway. I watched them tear it down. They had metal debris spread all over the place. I'm sure it would be way too noisy to pinpoint the coins below the surface.

My boys and I hit Bailey Elementary play ground this past weekend and came back with $1.54. Most easily found in the mulch. Much easier to dig in than the dirt.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Man, come out here to Verdigris school. It's been there since the early 1900's. Come by and I'll take you through there.

BTW: The pistol match is Sunday, are you planning on going?

Old 10-28-2009, 07:35 AM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by cigarxtc
Thx, Mike. I don't think I'll search there anyway. I watched them tear it down. They had metal debris spread all over the place. I'm sure it would be way too noisy to pinpoint the coins below the surface.

My boys and I hit Bailey Elementary play ground this past weekend and came back with $1.54. Most easily found in the mulch. Much easier to dig in than the dirt.
That school had a pretty big (mysterious) fire right before they tore the rest of it down. The fire pushed that schedule up by about a year. The airport had their police sit there for a week after the fire.

Sounds like your having fun with that metal detector.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:36 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
The more i use it the better i am able to tune out the junk and only dig up coins. I made a quick pass at the park this morning and pulled up 74 cents; a quarter, dimes and pennies. This thing is slowly paying for itself. This saturday I'm gonna take my boys out again and see what we can find.

Heya Stan, I'm in. Heather says I'm allowed to go on Sunday. I'll call ya this evening to get the details.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:23 AM
SwOkcOffRoader
Postmaster
are there any lakes near you?? the beach is a great place to find stuff, and its easy digging...

Old 01-15-2010, 09:13 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
My boys and I tried a sandy swim beach at Skiatook Lake a month ago. Didn't get much time to search; but will be going back when it warms up. We found a few small coins but no jewelry. It was more of a test for the stainless sand scoop that i made.