S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Broken Bearings, Ball Joints, Tie Rods and Front Shocks :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 03:11 PM
GETDOWN!!!
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken Bearings, Ball Joints, Tie Rods and Front Shocks :(

yesterday i was on my way home and i started to hear popping from the suspension. It weirded me out so i pulled over and looked underneath and the bushings on my shocks had walked out of the shock. so i tried to limp it home but it got worse, i pulled over again but into a goodyear so they could look at it. they wouldnt touch it because it is a fabtech shock and they dont have an account with them.

I was gonna try to drive home because i had no choice but i decided to look under the truck one more time. when i looked at my rim, there was grease on it. the dust cap had popped off and grease got on the rim. i then looked at my spindle and at the top, my tire was resting on it. then looked at my rotars and the brake pads had destroyed the rotar. I now realized my bearing in the spindle had broken.

I knew i had bad ball joints but i never got around to fixing them. My mistake. the ball joints must of broke and then the tires i have were too much for the bearings so that broke too. my tire rod ends are bad jsut because ive been told so and i know so. i called AAA and had to pay $135 for a flat bed tow from fountian valley to foothill ranch. The shop i got hrough for all my mods is Outlaw Offroad. There pretty popular.

Anyways, i dropped the truck off at the shop last night and everyhting is being diagnosed. I will be getting a call back form the shop soon for an update.

Im hoping to switch out all my shocks to bilstein shocks with reseviors or fabtech dirt logic shocks, depending on price. Not sure what to expect yet so i will keep you guys posted.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:47 PM
GETDOWN!!!
Senior User
just got the call back, and the total bill is $2,450.00. with that comes a brand new suspension basically. New EVERYTHING up front except the lower control arms.

new upper control arms both sides, new pittman arm, new idler arm, new ball joints both sides, new lower bushings both sides, new bearings and everything in the spindle both sides, an alignment, new slotted rotars both sides with pads and 4 new Bilstein 5100 shocks to top it off.

Im gonna have a brand new truck, suspension wise. i will get my truck back next wednsday or thursday. Pics and more info will follow eventually.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:55 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dayum......that's a drag.

At least you'll be good to go when it's done.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:17 PM
orng1
Postmaster
Do the shocks you want while your at it. The price difference will only be about $100. While they have it all apart and are going to install everything. I think the ones you want with the reservoir are 5150's not sure.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:25 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by GETDOWN!!!
just got the call back, and the total bill is $2,450.00. with that comes a brand new suspension basically. New EVERYTHING up front except the lower control arms.

Doesn't sound like a bad price. I know it hurts anyway. Danged toys are expensive.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:05 PM
GETDOWN!!!
Senior User
Originally Posted by orng1
Do the shocks you want while your at it. The price difference will only be about $100. While they have it all apart and are going to install everything. I think the ones you want with the reservoir are 5150's not sure.
i asked for the 5150's and they can put them on but it would cost another $,1500 cause they would need to do custom fab work and etc. so im going with the Bilstein 5100's as a good, sturdly shock replacement. down the road i will get a new lift eventually. im trying to keep the cost as low as i can within reason that way i can save for a 12 inch lift someday

Old 10-15-2009, 05:22 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
i can save for a 12 inch lift someday

Old 10-17-2009, 03:23 PM
orng1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by GETDOWN!!!
i asked for the 5150's and they can put them on but it would cost another $,1500 cause they would need to do custom fab work and etc. so im going with the Bilstein 5100's as a good, sturdly shock replacement. down the road i will get a new lift eventually. im trying to keep the cost as low as i can within reason that way i can save for a 12 inch lift someday
$1500 Wow, wonder what's so custom that they have to do to them?