Power steering fluid very milky even after attempts at flushing

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 10:09 PM
78bigunns
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering fluid very milky even after attempts at flushing

75' F350 crew.

Did a engine swap, donor pump was clear fluid. I had never run the truck after purchase but before the swap.

Noticed it was milky couple months ago, picked up several quarts of power steering fluid, unhooked the low pressure side at pump, installed in large container with enough clean new fluid to cover end of hose.

Blocked low port with a cap and hose clamp.

Jacked up truck (all old fluid drained from pump), dumped in quart after quart of clean fluid, slowly turning the steering lock to lock.

I thought after several quarts it would push out any contaminated fluid.

Could the original pump be cracked and letting in water? Box be letting in water? I've done the flush twice, with about 5 quarts each time.

Thanks for any input or advise.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Blue and White
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The milk could be water or more likley air. Its hard to get the air out of these. If the steering is functional, as it sounds like it is. I'd run it for a while and watch the fluid. If its air, it will work its way out. Even if water, heat from running will evaporate it.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:33 AM
One79one71
Senior User
Yep! Its air most likely. Check all hoses and fittings for leaks.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Blown 331
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it possibly overfull? I've seen that cause airation.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:29 PM
78bigunns
Posting Guru
Thanks for replies fellas.

I was thinking water, but maybe it's air intrusion as stated here and reading some more.

Fluid level looks good, I was thinking of bypassing the low pressure cooling section of hardline, it has tons of bends and was thinking it may be holding bubbles.

It works OK, it groans under heavy use, and acts more like power assist than power steering.

Was my bleeding technique OK or is there a better way? The fluid is expensive........

Thanks for all the help so far.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Blue and White
Postmaster
For the fluid change, it takes a large amount of fluid to (almost) completly get the old out. On my '78 I ran two extra quarts of clear PS fluid through to get the old ATF out and it was and is still pink. I'm running it like that w/o issue. I also got some air in it also. It took some time and driving but no bubbles now. It was a little noisy with the air in it.

Suggest you leave the cooler and run it. The cooler protects from overheating and foaming.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:16 PM
78bigunns
Posting Guru
Thanks for the reply. I'm to the point where I feel like I may need to replace the steering box.

I ran 4 quarts through it Saturday, on stands, giving it lots of time to sit between going lock to lock.

Still very milky, all hose clamps are tight, new lower rubber line on LP side, HP side everything is cranked down good.

No leaks during operation, so I think it is airtight.

I dunno. The steering is 50% of what it should be and really stinks like coming in and out of a parking spot or a tight turn somewhere.

Might give it one more try at flushing.

Thanks again.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:32 PM
78bigunns
Posting Guru
Bump. Driving the truck at higher rpms it seems to be OK, but they always turn easier when in motion anyway.

At idle, or coming out of a space it's really tough. Little noise, groans under turns when it feels tough.

Since posting last year, it's been on stands, doing the fluid flush several times into a jug routine, then closed it all up and left on stands turning from lock to lock averaging 30 times then letting it sit. Topping off as needed. Fluid is close to right color, seems slightly tinged. Would get it down and drive it, marginally better.

Could the pump have been damaged when I was using it to move us and the fluid was iffy? All those repeated trips with a trailer hooked up really worked it good.

Just been dealing with it for the last year, but was thinking of getting a new pump. Steering box itself has never had the lines off in my ownership.

Thanks.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:36 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
If you get a new pump be away most remans are junk nowadays. Try and find a new pump or a rebuilt in the USA one. A lot of the remans these days are remaned in china, mexico or the like.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:14 PM
Blue and White
Postmaster
I put a new pump on mine a year or so ago. NAPA. Besides taking a few hundred miles to get the little bit of air out, no problems. New lines are recommended at the same time as the old ones can deteriorate or even collapse inside.

Pumps are usually sold without pulley. You need to have a shop swap or use a loaned tool to remove and press back on. I used the borrowed tool and no problems.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:09 PM
devino246
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 78bigunns
Bump. Driving the truck at higher rpms it seems to be OK, but they always turn easier when in motion anyway.

At idle, or coming out of a space it's really tough. Little noise, groans under turns when it feels tough.

Since posting last year, it's been on stands, doing the fluid flush several times into a jug routine, then closed it all up and left on stands turning from lock to lock averaging 30 times then letting it sit. Topping off as needed. Fluid is close to right color, seems slightly tinged. Would get it down and drive it, marginally better.

Could the pump have been damaged when I was using it to move us and the fluid was iffy? All those repeated trips with a trailer hooked up really worked it good.

Just been dealing with it for the last year, but was thinking of getting a new pump. Steering box itself has never had the lines off in my ownership.

Thanks.
You know you've been running the wrong fluid through, right? Type F ATF is what you should be running.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:44 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 78bigunns
75' F350 crew.

Noticed it was milky couple months ago, picked up several quarts of power steering fluid, unhooked the low pressure side at pump, installed in large container with enough clean new fluid to cover end of hose.

I have always had problems with leaking when i used POWER STEERING fluid. I have better luck with type F transmission fluid.

I am putting a new rebuilt steering gear on my 73 starting today . I will remove the pump and dump all of the old fluid then replace it with Type F transmission fluid. That's what i have been using in all of my vehicals from my 64 falcon up to 79 F-150, no problems with foaming or discoloration .__My $.02 worth __

Old 08-15-2013, 07:33 AM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
IMHO change over to a Saginaw pump if you can. Did that to my F150 a year ago and no more noisy ford pump and perfect power steering. Didn't even have to bleed it really, just bolted it on with a new bracket and boom perfect power steering.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:45 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the pump that's all metal , not plastic housing and it is pretty quiet . It's got to be at least 20 years old because i have had it that long and used it on a few different engines. When it quits i'm going to see if i can locate a rebuilder in my area. I have had those plastic housing pumps , they all leaked and were noisy , from 79 to 87 were the ones i had. I keep a couple of them around just to put in place of the old one when i sell a truck. They don't get my good all metal one L.O.L.__

Old 08-15-2013, 11:58 AM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Ya I've haven't had any experience with the metal ones. I was referring to the later plastic ones. Sorry.

Quick Reply: Power steering fluid very milky even after attempts at flushing