Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Massive Oil Leak HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 783 Likes on 595 Posts
I think they come apart in similar fashion to a standard AC fitting.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The adapter is an ORB (O-ring Boss) fitting, so if it's leaking where the adapter screws into the pump and not where the line attaches to the fitting, you likely have a bad O-ring. You can read about those fittings on Bob Riley's site. Here's a link to the .pdf -- look at the bottom of page 4:
http://www.dieselsite.com/pdffiles/a...structions.pdf

Old 10-18-2009, 03:41 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would replace the o-ring at each fitting. In post #12 click on the link for my HPOP Info and you will find out how to remove the quick connect and about the tool to use.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:32 PM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you get it apart, clean the fitting and the thread boss in the pump real good with some brake clean or something similar. when its dry, reassemble the fitting using a small amount of RED loctite. These are o-ring fittings, tight is tight. horsing them on won't do anything more than possibly strip out the housing. And Oh boy it does make a mess. I blew one of these running down the freeway just north of Denver. lost 7 quarts of oil in about a half a mile.

Barney

Old 10-18-2009, 08:52 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bfife
When you get it apart, clean the fitting and the thread boss in the pump real good with some brake clean or something similar. when its dry, reassemble the fitting using a small amount of RED loctite. These are o-ring fittings, tight is tight. horsing them on won't do anything more than possibly strip out the housing. And Oh boy it does make a mess. I blew one of these running down the freeway just north of Denver. lost 7 quarts of oil in about a half a mile.

Barney
I'm with you Barney on using some thread locker. I used some Loctite 680 I got with some o-rings from Guzzle. Had to remove the fittings to put them on the Adrenaline and the 680 sealed real well and let loose pretty easy when removing the fittings. It was also easy to get out of the threads with a sharp pick.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:10 AM
NS F250
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
Sounds like you've blown an o-ring. You'll be out at least a couple of dollars to get this fixed. First, here's a link where you can buy the proper type o-rings Replacement O-rings for Diesel Engines

Next, with a leak that big, and judging by the location, it sounds like an HPOP line, end plug, or possibly the so called non-serviceable plug. Step one will be to clean things up so you can determine where exactly the leak is coming from. Some simple green and water from the garden hose will go a long way here.

A leak under the fuel filter sounds like it's HPOP related. That's the High Pressure Oil Pump that basically sits just below and forward of the fuel filter. The most common leaks there are from the high pressure lines (one goes to each head labeled outlet fittings) or the end plug. After you clean things up, an inspection mirror will help some, and maybe sticking a white rag under there to help pinpoint the source of the leak. Once you know which spot is leaking, we can walk you through the repair procedure.

I have a huge leak at the plug in this picture. Is this the "non serviceable" plug, because it looks different than Izzy's. Does anyone know if this plug can be removed in the truck? This is a van, so I can see it from the dog house in the cab, but I have no clue how I would get the hpop out.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:19 AM
dwigmore
Cross-Country
I had the same problem as you. My advice would be to pull the HPOP out and replace every o-ring you can. It took me the better part of a weekend, but wasn't overly difficult. Thanks once again to Guzzle and Diesel o-rings dot com!

Old 10-20-2009, 09:19 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by NS F250
I have a huge leak at the plug in this picture. Is this the "non serviceable" plug, because it looks different than Izzy's. Does anyone know if this plug can be removed in the truck? This is a van, so I can see it from the dog house in the cab, but I have no clue how I would get the hpop out.
No, that's the end plug. It is serviceable. As mentioned above. Remove the plug, put a new o-ring on there, then make sure you get the threads absolutely spotless, both on the plug and the pump and use some lock tite when putting it all back together.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:24 PM
NS F250
Elder User
Thanks, looking at the hpop removal/ install instructions makes me wonder what I was thinking buying a van with a 7.3 in it. I can barely change the fuel filter, much less remove the fuel bowl and hpop.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:01 PM
NS F250
Elder User
Well I replaced the plug without removing the hpop, and so far, so good. It only took three feet worth of socket extensions! Now I just have to clean the oil off the driveway.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:57 PM
F450 Aaron
Senior User
I got the leak fixed thanks guys for all the help!

Old 10-25-2009, 11:03 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Well I replaced the plug without removing the hpop, and so far, so good. It only took three feet worth of socket extensions! Now I just have to clean the oil off the driveway.
Originally Posted by F450 Aaron
I got the leak fixed thanks guys for all the help!
Bravo to both of you for getting that 0-ring replaced. Good job.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:49 PM
roof
Freshman User
Originally Posted by F350-6
Sounds like you've blown an o-ring. You'll be out at least a couple of dollars to get this fixed. First, here's a link where you can buy the proper type o-rings Replacement O-rings for Diesel Engines

Next, with a leak that big, and judging by the location, it sounds like an HPOP line, end plug, or possibly the so called non-serviceable plug. Step one will be to clean things up so you can determine where exactly the leak is coming from. Some simple green and water from the garden hose will go a long way here.

A leak under the fuel filter sounds like it's HPOP related. That's the High Pressure Oil Pump that basically sits just below and forward of the fuel filter. The most common leaks there are from the high pressure lines (one goes to each head labeled outlet fittings) or the end plug. After you clean things up, an inspection mirror will help some, and maybe sticking a white rag under there to help pinpoint the source of the leak. Once you know which spot is leaking, we can walk you through the repair procedure.

ive been following post on the oil leak , since ive been trying to find mine for about 6 months i was convinced it was the rear main seal but after reading i think it is the end plug if it is do i need to remove anything to fix it the part with a snap ring has oil on it and i think its running from the end plug which drips down on the engine

Old 12-31-2010, 11:35 PM
nookiemonster55
Senior User
most people and myself would probably say just if it aint broke dont fix it....

Old 01-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
Sometimes the oil will run from another port and collect where the snap ring is. You got to clean it off real good then inspect it. That is the only way to tell!

Quick Reply: Massive Oil Leak HELP!!!