1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Fuel system cleaning, Is it really worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 02:38 PM
98FordTruck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel system cleaning, Is it really worth the money?

I have heard several different opinions on professional fuel system cleanings and have even been told from an ASE cert mech that they really don't do much if you don't have it done on a regular basis. He also pointed out that it would be better to just replace the injectors if you have never had a cleaning performed on your vehicle before. I try to use Lucas fuel injector cleaner on a somewhat regular basis, every 2-3 fill ups, but sometimes I go several weeks to over a month without using it. During those long periods it seems that my engine light always comes on and when I hook up the code reader it is a clogged injector. Is this a sign that it is time for new injectors or would a fuel system cleaning do enough for my truck to be something worth looking into?

Old 10-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First thing I would do if I were you is to change where you buy your fuel. Most modern gasoline should have more than enough detergent in it to keep fuel injectors clean without the need for additives. Maybe a more frequent fuel filter change would help too, but still, sounds like you may be geeting poor quality fuel.

I would agree that replacing the injectors is going to be a more effective repair than a fuel system cleaning. If your feeling frisky, have the fuel system cleaned in conjunction with a set of new injectors.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:35 PM
redwood
Elder User
I agree with Big Greenie. I use Lucas from time to time (once every couple of months) for preventive maintenance. It's good stuff for sure, but if you're using it that often and it's not fixing the problem, then using it all the time is only masking a problem. That problem is either poor fuel or worn/dirty injectors that need to be replaced or professionally cleaned....

And, if it is the fuel you're using, then you're definitely going to need a new fuel filter at some point in the near future.....

Old 10-13-2009, 03:05 AM
orng1
Postmaster
I used to have a real bad issue with my explorer, I was told it might be a bad intake manifold gasket. I started using lucas injector cleaner and after a few weeks it cleared up. It was real bad, it'd stall in the morning and almost every time I would put it into reverse. I rarely use it anymore and have started using seafoam but it does work. Seafoam is for more aggresive cleaning but Lucas works too on gasoline engines. I heard it's bad stuff on diesels, I used to use it on my 7.3L but not anymore. Never noticed anything on the diesel anyways.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:25 AM
thomastl
Senior User
You can remove the fuel injectors (remove the orings) and dump them in a gallon of carborator cleaner. Let them soak overnight. Remove, scrub the bottom with a toothbrush, blow dry, reinstall. That is your professional cleaning. Lot cheaper than buying all new injectors. If the old orings are in good shape just put some oil on them and reinstall. If not - purchase new orings.

As mentioned earlier - there is no reason for someone to be using cleaner every few tanks of gas. Todays fuels all have detergents mandated by federal standards.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:19 AM
TidePride50
New User
I usually use the prestone complete fuel system cleaner every 4,000-5,000 miles. It usually falls around my oil changes. No reason, I just always have.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
I guess if I was going to pull injectors for a cleaning, I would just replace them. Sure cleaning them up is cheaper but they are not that expensive in the first place. There is definately going to be some nozzle wear after 100k miles or so of use. A fresh set should improve milage and performance. It is on my maint list along with COPs and plugs. My plan is to gather the parts as the budget permits and do the jobs all at one time.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:01 AM
CM113
Freshman User
in the mean time you could just run a tank of super through with Lucas Oil Upper Cylinder cleaner, and a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil . works on my 4.6,runs great

Old 10-13-2009, 11:27 AM
98FordTruck
Senior User
Pulling them and physically cleaning them sounds like the better way to go. But I agree Big Greenie tha I may as well just replace them if I have them out as I am about to turn 200k. I just had the engine rebuilt a couple years ago and should have replaced them when I had the engine out since i was replacing most everything else. Can anyone recommend some good aftermarket injectors? I looked at Accel injectors through Summit and the OEM replacements are 21 lbs/hr. Not sure what the factory injectors are but I assume they are the same, I will have to call the dealer for that. If I upgraded to a higher flowing injector I am guessing my fuel mileage would drop a noticeable ammount since I am pushing more fuel into the combustion chamber.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:51 PM
eallanboggs
Elder User
Have you ever looked closely at the holes in the injector nozzles? You almost need a magnifying glass to see them. A single grain of sand can't pass through. Better as has already been suggested to change your fuel filter more frequently. I'd like to know what the DTC for a clogged injector your getting is? The last time I checked there is no such animal. The fuel rails are easy enough to pull. You could clean them yourself and install new "O" rings(they're cheap-about $1 each). Don't forget to lube the "O" rings(dielectric grease). If you really want to have your injectors cleaned send them to Lindner and have it done right.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:39 PM
orng1
Postmaster
Removing them and cleaning the injectors is one of the better ways to do it but they don't do that anymore. They disconnect your fuel line and connect an aerosol can of cleaner and run the car off that can at higher idle until it stalls out. Those cans are around $5, they toss in some injector cleaner into the tank and if your lucky they'll clean the throtle body too. A little preventive maintenance will go along way though.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:21 PM
vze2sgxa
Senior User
Question

Originally Posted by thomastl
You can remove the fuel injectors (remove the orings) and dump them in a gallon of carborator cleaner. Let them soak overnight. Remove, scrub the bottom with a toothbrush, blow dry, reinstall. That is your professional cleaning. Lot cheaper than buying all new injectors. If the old orings are in good shape just put some oil on them and reinstall. If not - purchase new orings.

As mentioned earlier - there is no reason for someone to be using cleaner every few tanks of gas. Todays fuels all have detergents mandated by federal standards.

Is it possible for carb cleaner to leak into the injector's electrical solenoid coil chamber and contaminate the windings if left to soak? What if there is a hairline crack in the injector casing? I agree cleaning is the way to go, but how to you prevent the cleaning fluid from leaking in?

Old 10-13-2009, 03:27 PM
thomastl
Senior User
That is why you blow them out with air and let them dry before reinstalling. I have never had a problem and have done this on several of my vehicles thru the years. I am not sure but I would guess that the wire that makes up the coil is coated and that prevents any shorting as well.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:57 PM
eallanboggs
Elder User
You can flush your injectors with the can of cleaner if you want, but you don't really know how much good it does. What if you have a sluggish pintle or one that is sticking? Cleaning won't help that. You can also remove them and clean the exterior yourself, but that's only feel good stuff. Changing the "O" rings does help especially on high mileage engines. If you send your injectors to Lindner Tech they'll clean and test them. Solvents evaporate very quickly. Fuel injectors have to be able to live in gasoline for their entire life so a little solvent isn't going to hurt them.