Alberta Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Puddy

56 mercury?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 05:58 PM
GORSTEP
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
56 mercury?

Howd you make out with head gasket? Did you get your distributor trouble figured out?

Old 07-10-2002, 02:04 AM
Burple
Senior User
56 mercury?

Old 07-10-2002, 09:56 PM
56mercury
Freshman User
56 mercury?

Hi GORSTEP, sorry to take so long to reply but contending with home duties shift work and gathering the parts and stuff to change out the heads and gasket on the 56. Plan on attacking this project possibly tomorrow afternoon. Have decided to go back to the 2v heads so i don't have problems with the mixing of gas for this mill. Will be able to run more ignition timing and have better torque and response for the street. Am finding that i am less and less inclined to make the time to "fiddle" with the hi per motors. Would rather run a more stock setup and go anywhere anytime. Thanks for asking and will keep posted. Certainly plan to have it at the Lacombe show and possibly have a swap table set up. Reminds me that i need to call about that. Later, pops

Old 07-14-2002, 10:02 AM
GORSTEP
Senior User
56 mercury?

I know what you meen! Me too. Good luck with the repairs.

Old 07-16-2002, 02:16 PM
phat56
Senior User
56 mercury?

Hey Pops - I plan on taking in Lacombe as well -what time do you think you'll get there? we could dominate the show with the ultimate trucks Bill

Old 07-19-2002, 09:53 PM
56mercury
Freshman User
56 mercury?

Hey Guys, thanks for the interest in my quandry with the Merc.
Latest poop, got fed up with the engine not running like it should and not responding to ANY change that should have made an improvement.
Pulled the intake and 4v heads from it this past Tues and lo and behold, there is the problem!!!! Intake gasket on #4 and #6 runners have leak from the lifter valley into the intake runners!! #4 was the worst but 6 was also oily in the head runner to the valve. When i pulled the exhaust manifolds both of them were oily and black. It wasn't pulling enough to create smoke from the exhaust but sure caused a bunch of grief trying to get it timed and running well. Have not seen this before. When the engine was built i didn't use any sealant on the intake gaskets (never have on other engines before, either) but will probably start doing this now. Presently am in process of installing 2v heads with 4v manifold. This will allow me to run pump gas and not worry about detonation as much. Will also give better response in the bottom end of the rpm range.(i hope)
As for the Lacombe Days, will try to get up there but won't likely have the 56 there and also won't have a swap table.( went looking and found that i don't have as much around as i thot) Need to get out and do some more treasure hunting. Later pops