Sponsored by:
Old 10-27-2014, 06:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Off-Roading Guides

Browse all: Wheels & Tires How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Anybody have experience with the treadwright gaurd dog m/t tire?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 12:13 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anybody have experience with the treadwright gaurd dog m/t tire?

31-10.50R15-GUARD-DOG-M-T - Retread Tires from TreadWright, Inc. here is the tire I am talking about. Seems like it is one step above their A/T tire and one step below their full on mud tire(which I had on my jeep cherokee,GREAT in the mud. Snow,wet,dry roads,not so good,maybe it was the tires,or maybe it was because the jeep was so light in the rear end.). I was considering the cooper discoverer STT,but the treadwright tires are $450 shipped to my door,cheapest I can find the cooper is $630-75 and free shipping off of ebay,not sure I want to go the ebay route.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:54 PM
63' f100
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know about them, but i sure wish i had found those about 2 weeks ago BEFORE i bought cheap wrangler tires for my truck. Its not gonna see much use, so cheap tires are ok, but damn, i really would have liked those.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:50 PM
DILLIGAF13
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These tires are cheap because they are retread tires. If your not familiar with retreads what they do is take what ever casing (old tire) they have and grind the tread off, next they add a rubber compound and the new tread, then they heat and pressurize the tire and new tread and viola a semi new tire. These would be ok for off road use but i would not advise on road use. All those giant tire treads from 18 wheelers you see laying on the highway are the retreads peeling off. In fact most states outlaw the use of retreads on the steering axle of 18 wheelers for just that reason. Just fyi for ya.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:06 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> are the retreads peeling off.

Actually, it is combination of both retreads and new tires. The reason most truck tires fail is because of air pressure loss, the same as car passenger tires.

Instead of pulling over once a tire goes flat, many truckers will keep on hauling to their destination instead of stopping to change it because of the down time or because they do not have the proper tools to change it and because they are unwilling to pay a tow service to do it.

> In fact most states outlaw the use of retreads on the steering axle of 18 wheelers for just that reason.

In fact, it has nothing to do with state law. It is part of the FMVSS, title 49.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:12 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by DILLIGAF13
These tires are cheap because they are retread tires. If your not familiar with retreads what they do is take what ever casing (old tire) they have and grind the tread off, next they add a rubber compound and the new tread, then they heat and pressurize the tire and new tread and viola a semi new tire. These would be ok for off road use but i would not advise on road use. All those giant tire treads from 18 wheelers you see laying on the highway are the retreads peeling off. In fact most states outlaw the use of retreads on the steering axle of 18 wheelers for just that reason. Just fyi for ya.
I am familiar with retreads from the company I posted,I have had their product before,with no problems. I wasn't asking about the quality of retreads I am asking about the tread pattern on the tires in question.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:12 AM
Prozon
Postmaster
Well as for the cooper discoverer STT.. its a great tire.

I can't say anything about the other tire. I'm sure it depends what kind of use your looking for.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:04 AM
JesterPgh
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is/was someone on here using that particular tire from Treadwright. I can not for the life of me recall who it was, although I do recall the truck was a brown shade 4x4. May have been in the pre-powerstroke diesel forum, but I recall he was happy with them. Same tread pattern as the last generation Goodyear M/TR, which seemed to make a lot of people happy.

Here's a thread. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...new-shoes.html

Here's the last post
Originally Posted by powersmoker96
I have the same tires as the OP I have 40,000 miles on them and they are awesome, I haul lots of weight like 16k with my truck and no probs at all. I think they are worth the money. just keep a eye on the tire pressure if you tow alot. just my .02 cents

Old 10-11-2009, 03:31 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> I am asking about the tread pattern

The cooper pattern does fine in mud, but, it is no Super Swamper or SST..

> I was considering the cooper discoverer STT

Almost all my Cooper tires in the large sizes (33s) have sooner or later thrown a belt either in the tread or sidewall before they were down to 2/32s. For a comparison, the Coopers SST are in the middle, the AT Dakota is on the right outside.

The Cooper tread type does okay in mud. Though if you are burying the truck to the axles, it will clump and does not self clean enough like an Interco.

If you can't tell by the picture, the Coopers still have 6-8/32s left, the tires are junk because of thrown belts. FWIW.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
There are a couple guys in the IDI forum running them.
Here is another link to a thread about them.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...nterested.html

Two guys are mostly running highway miles, but one of the users does have them on his off road Jeep.
CheaperJeeper is his handle.

From what I can gather from his posts he spends his time in rocks at Moab Utah though, but he swears by the tires.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:07 AM
Blue Rebel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My experiances with the goodyear MT/R (where they got that tread design from) Has been that it does great everywhere but in deep mud. Once things get deep these tires just arnt designed to clean out well. Look schweet, yes, but with looks they sacrificed performance off road

Old 10-24-2009, 12:21 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

thanks for all the opinions guys,I went ahead and bit the bullet and got the interco trxus m/t because we have had a TON of rain so far this fall,and it isn't going to dry out any time before deer season,which I use my truck heavily for. Can't take the chance of getting stuck while trying to get a deer out of the woods.