6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Trailer Control Fault

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 03:59 PM
CampD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Control Fault

I'm getting a "Trailer Brake controler fault" display on the dash. I havn't had the trailer with brakes hooked up for some time, only the small 4 pin plug. Is it time to bring it in to the dealer?

Old 10-09-2009, 04:08 PM
cbenn
New User
No.. I think that if it has been raining or you washed your truck you have a small amount of water in the plug, I get it every once in awhile and all I do is take a rage and stuff in there to soak any water that might be in there, that has worked for me every time. Also a squirt of wd-40 has worked.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:33 PM
ctownson
Senior User
This is a known and common problem. I believe there is a TSB out on it. I kept getting it and the dealer replaced the plug and really sealed it up. As it comes from the factory, it is prone to get water in it and you get the fault reading.

charles

Old 10-09-2009, 06:45 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Only time I have ever had issues is when the ground has gotten loose in the trailer itself. Might want to confirm your grounding and also the 7 pin cable route going to the power distribution box on your trailer. 2 of my 4 trailers had ground problems that I never knew about until I got my '08. Never had a truck that was that smart before!

Old 10-10-2009, 06:48 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
I had that one time. It was the TBC itself. So do check the other stuff first. TBC is simple if the dealer has to replace it.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:32 PM
koboss1
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had to replace my controller once it was bad, the slide was loose and keep shorting out which would display the fault. the tech also told me that you dont want to have to replace the plug because it is the whole haness from front to back of the truck and not a fun job, he did say you could hack the wiring harness and put a aftermarket plug in but then it would be a yearly change if you live in the snowy climates with road salt.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Larry NCKS
Elder User
Originally Posted by ruschejj
Only time I have ever had issues is when the ground has gotten loose in the trailer itself. Might want to confirm your grounding and also the 7 pin cable route going to the power distribution box on your trailer. 2 of my 4 trailers had ground problems that I never knew about until I got my '08. Never had a truck that was that smart before!
Can't be on the trailer if isn't hitched up . . . can it?

Old 10-12-2009, 06:36 AM
CampD
Senior User
Originally Posted by Larry NCKS
Can't be on the trailer if isn't hitched up . . . can it?
correct, it is coming on with no trailer hooked up. I will clean and dry it out today and see how that goes. I always put dielectric grease on all my connections so mositure is rarely a problem.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:18 AM
DWhittaker
New User
I have a 2009 that I hooked my triler to for the first time last night. I am getting a trailer wiring fault messegae. As far as I can tell everything seems to be working fine. I get the fault whether I hook to the bumber plug or to the one in the bed that Line X installed. Would I need to get the dealer to take a look or have the RV looked at by someone?

Old 10-12-2009, 08:18 AM
Larry NCKS
Elder User
Originally Posted by DWhittaker
I have a 2009 that I hooked my triler to for the first time last night. I am getting a trailer wiring fault messegae. As far as I can tell everything seems to be working fine. I get the fault whether I hook to the bumber plug or to the one in the bed that Line X installed. Would I need to get the dealer to take a look or have the RV looked at by someone?
Could be either one, from no more information than you've given. If your truck is under warranty I'd ask the dealer to check it out. Same goes for the RV.

Do you have a different trailer you can plug to and find out if the fault exists with it as well?

Old 10-12-2009, 02:21 PM
CampD
Senior User
cleaned it out, some dirt stuck to the grease but dry. Still comes on, guess its time to bring it in. Anyone off hand know the TSB?
I'll take a look on here

Old 10-12-2009, 03:19 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry, I'm the bonehead that mis understood.

DWhittaker, you have the issue that I had when I first got my truck. I had three trailers that needed shaping up in the wiring dept. all diagnosed by the truck. As I stated before, it's always a ground or a short in my experience. I would go through all your fuses in the truck and go through all the lights in your RV. Remove any corrosion and trace the main ground wire from the plug up into the RV.

I had a 3 foot section of wire in one of our cargo trailers where the insulation had melted and charred, just bare wire left. Kinda scary.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:36 AM
MxDad567
Junior User
I have an 08 with a TBC. It does not work when the brake pedal is applied. However it does work if I use the slider. The Dealer said there was an error code but they havent had the time to get into it as of yet. It is due to go back to shop soon though.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:55 PM
DWhittaker
New User
These trucks are very smart. My battery on the 5th wheel was weak and the truck let me know. Superduty's ROCK.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:23 PM
freekyFX4
Senior User
Mine has done this twice. Once I get the fault, I can't shift the truck into drive. Once, I saw a spark near the TBC when it happened. I think the TBC itself is grounding on the little track that it slides into. If it does it again, I will take it in, but twice in 20 months doesn't seem too bad. I have never towed with mine and only have 10,000 miles on mine.

Quick Reply: Trailer Control Fault