Computer Chips & Tuners  

95 Explorer Trans Shift

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 09:34 PM
James E
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 95 Explorer Trans Shift

Having trouble with trans shifting out of 1st. Holds gear unless I let off on gas. Resetting error codes and replacing all sensors doesn't help. Resetting the codes helped the first two times, but that was it. I've replced numerous sensors. Think problem lies in PCM. How do these reprogramming modules work? Any recommendation on what product to buy? Is this a common issue? Been doing it for a year now. Trans seems fine otherwise.....

Thx,

Jim

Old 10-13-2009, 07:33 AM
kaboom10
Elder User
It does sound PCM related. Mine is doing it but I have tuned the shift schedules to work at the speeds I want. I have new gears that spin the engine 35% faster at the old shift schedule. I reset the schedules to work with the new gears. Now first ck the trans fluid level. Has the trans ever had maintenance?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:34 PM
James E
New User
The trans fluid has been changed every 30K. Fluid level is OK. Local shop said it should be completely flushed with special Ford trans fluid. They said aftermarket fluid doesn't work right. I was unaware of that. It hasn't been completely flushed.

How did you change the schedule on the trans. I know of the ability to do it, but can't seem to find out how to get a programmer for the PCM. Is it better to re-program or replace the PCM?

Thx

Old 10-13-2009, 09:25 PM
kaboom10
Elder User
I'm using what the trans shop put back in mine after a flush. It's not Ford fluid and it works fine. I even had a shift kit put in at the same time. It all works flawlessly and has for the last 15,000 miles. I bought a tuner from Mike at 5startuning.com and the tuning program so I could get things to act my way. There are tables that you can change from stock to what you want concerning all the parameters of the PCM. I changed the speed at which all 4 gears come in and down shift by putting in what mph to shift at. You need to work at it unless you get lucky on the first try. I've changed the injectors flow rate and have redone the MAF transfer function accordingly. It gets addictive tuning the most extra ponies that can be gotten out. If you get stumped there is a forum you can go to and ask for help. I boought a couple of books on tuning to get into it deeper.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:46 PM
James E
New User
Wow man, you're really into it. Sounds like you can make it do just about anything. At this point, I just want mine to shift right. Maybe some day I'll get the bucks to tune mine up special like yours. Is there something simple that I can get just to reprogram the thing? Or do you know where I can buy a replacement PCM?

Old 10-13-2009, 10:01 PM
kaboom10
Elder User
About the only thing I've ever heard of for a trans was a unit to bring the mph to read right when gears/tires are not stock. I don't see why a PCM from a wrecked vehicle like yours wouldn't work. A recycler should have a warranty so you can return it if it doesn't work. Another thing is ck the connections at the trans to make sure there isn't a bad connection. If it works you can save a few bucks. No matter how good a PCM is it has to send the signal to the trans and the way you explain it I say the wiring is suspect.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:15 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by kaboom10
I'm using what the trans shop put back in mine after a flush. It's not Ford fluid and it works fine. I even had a shift kit put in at the same time. It all works flawlessly and has for the last 15,000 miles. I bought a tuner from Mike at 5startuning.com and the tuning program so I could get things to act my way. There are tables that you can change from stock to what you want concerning all the parameters of the PCM. I changed the speed at which all 4 gears come in and down shift by putting in what mph to shift at. You need to work at it unless you get lucky on the first try. I've changed the injectors flow rate and have redone the MAF transfer function accordingly. It gets addictive tuning the most extra ponies that can be gotten out. If you get stumped there is a forum you can go to and ask for help. I boought a couple of books on tuning to get into it deeper.
Hi Kaboom
Sorry off topic, Wow you are into that Tuning..... Need a job?
Stay warm up there

Mike