2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck in 4 LOW !

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 05:53 PM
mbaquet
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck in 4 LOW !

I have an 05 F150 FX4. I pulled someone out of the ditch last night in 4 low. Once done, I couldn't switch back to 2H or 4H or anything. Had to drive back home (1/4 mile at a snales pace). I tried putting in Neutral, switching back & fourth from 2H to 4L. It doesn't change. Tried backing up, going forward. It is just stuck. How do I dissengage it so that I can go to dealership?

Old 10-08-2009, 08:40 PM
goracer
Junior User
I've had that issue before. If I remember the manual correctly you can go in to 4L in nuetral but to get out of it you have to be in Park. Try going in to 4H in park with the engine on, drive a few feet and stop and park then try to go 2H.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
I have had that problem before too. It took me a hour one time and another time half an hour. Both times for me to get it out I had to either drive backwards and hit the brakes really hard and drive forward and hit the brakes too and put it in Neutral or Park and try to switch it over. The other time I actually put the truck in Neutral on a flat surface opened the door and pushed the truck back and fourth and it came out. I had no one to help me so I had to push it myself. It was a pain but finally got it out. Found out I had 2 bad hubs and a silinoid go bad. It all happened after I put my truck in the truck pulls at the local fair. Last time I will do that. See if someone can give you a hand and try rocking it back and forth in Neutral and when they go to push the opposite way hit the brakes hard.

Someone told me if you pull something out thats really stuck or giving you a hard time it puts alot of stress on it and you have to hit the brakes hard to get it out. Seemed weird to me but it worked for me.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:53 AM
mbaquet
New User
Originally Posted by goracer
I've had that issue before. If I remember the manual correctly you can go in to 4L in nuetral but to get out of it you have to be in Park. Try going in to 4H in park with the engine on, drive a few feet and stop and park then try to go 2H.
I tried this and it did not work. I also tried disconnecting the vaccume hoses & the electrical plug from the solinoid. Then I tried disconnecting the battery for 20 min. Neither worked.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:57 AM
mbaquet
New User
Originally Posted by Still Smoking
I have had that problem before too. It took me a hour one time and another time half an hour. Both times for me to get it out I had to either drive backwards and hit the brakes really hard and drive forward and hit the brakes too and put it in Neutral or Park and try to switch it over. The other time I actually put the truck in Neutral on a flat surface opened the door and pushed the truck back and fourth and it came out. I had no one to help me so I had to push it myself. It was a pain but finally got it out. Found out I had 2 bad hubs and a silinoid go bad. It all happened after I put my truck in the truck pulls at the local fair. Last time I will do that. See if someone can give you a hand and try rocking it back and forth in Neutral and when they go to push the opposite way hit the brakes hard.

Someone told me if you pull something out thats really stuck or giving you a hard time it puts alot of stress on it and you have to hit the brakes hard to get it out. Seemed weird to me but it worked for me.
AWESOME. This worked. I put my 4x4 switch in 2H, put key in ignition, put in Neutral then pushed the truck back only about 6 ft. then forward about 6 ft. Got back in the truck & the light was still in 4L but then immediately turned off! Now I can drive to the dealership to get a NEW solinoid instead of riding the bike.
Thank you.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Still Smoking
Elder User
No problem. Glad it worked. I was freaking out and didnt know what I would do. Cause from where I was at my dealer was almost a hour away. Someone told me that and it worked I was like sweet.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:08 AM
tooldad
Elder User
Had a similar problem last night. Believe it may have been the first time I ever put my '06 in 4L. Tried to exit 4L while in Park and Drive, nothing, moved forward and backwards, nothing. Read the manual and it indicated Neutral was required. Did that and instantly I was able to exit 4L. Whew! I was afraid I was going to be in your boat. Fortunately for me it was just typical OE. Glad you succeeded.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:40 PM
goracer
Junior User
Ok so then it's P go in 4L and N to exit? Where is the solenoid and how much do those cost? Please post if it turns out to be the switch itself, solenoid or neither fixes the issue.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Oldguy4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by goracer
Ok so then it's P go in 4L and N to exit? Where is the solenoid and how much do those cost? Please post if it turns out to be the switch itself, solenoid or neither fixes the issue.
No, you go from 4H to 4L in N and back from 4L to 4H in N. Then from 4H to 2H. Your not supposed to go from 4L straight to 2H, but it may work anyway.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:53 PM
tooldad
Elder User
The manual said N for both engage and disengage, however I think I had it in P for engagement. Not sure. Do not know the answers to you other questions.