1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 F250 extended cab back doors won't...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:22 AM
scottinjaxf250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 F250 extended cab back doors won't...

open. The passenger side stopped opening right after I purchased it a few months back (168K miles). I removed the door panels and reached my hand in feeling around. I know the latch releases are activated by cables but cannot figure out how they work. While feeling and pulling on the cables one became dislodged from its holder. The driver’s side stopped opening yesterday . Do the cables stretch, break, or what? Or are the holders the issue? Is there an illustration that shows how the cables are run and connected? Has anyone else had this issue?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
Thanks,<o></o>
Scott<o></o>

Old 10-08-2009, 12:38 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
There is a small lever that sticks out that is pushed in when the front door is closed, preventing the small doors from opening. Is it possible that that lever is stuck in?

Old 10-08-2009, 02:38 PM
scottinjaxf250
New User
That was my first thought...they are extended out like they should be and I've tried to flick/hit them to ensure they've released whatever they're supposed to...but not sure if thats the issue or not.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:46 PM
brwolfjr
Elder User
i am having a similar problem with my '02. Try pushing then pulling. Mine pops open every time.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:10 PM
foxylettuce
New User
Chances are it is just seized at the latch/striker. They're located at the top and bottom at the door. Assuming there is nothing broken, try spraying a healthy dose of PB Blaster (penetrating fluid) at the latches and let it sit overnight.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:06 AM
scottinjaxf250
New User
If I can get the doors open again, I'll do that. I just need to get them open.

Thanks for all of the replies...keep'em coming!

Old 11-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Under Pressure
Freshman User
Mine did this too. Turns out the cables that release the latch broke near the handle. There are two of them one each for upper and lower latch. The housing is plastic and they broke at the end of the housing where they snap into the release mechanism. I haven't replaced them yet but need to as the other door just broke and it's a pain to load the kids up in there without the doors opend.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:08 AM
dfoxengr
Senior User
Ive got the same problem, how do i get the door open to fix it without either of the handles working?

Old 08-31-2014, 11:43 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,440 Likes on 2,840 Posts
Guys, there are a few videos about how to fix this problem on YouTube and tons of information on this forum and other forums. When I first bought my 2000 F250 a few months ago neither of my extended cab rear doors would open. I took the panels off and messed with the cables until they popped open.

Then, going off the videos I simply made a couple of small holes in the interior metal of the panels and zip tied the cables in a way that they would actuate the door locks/latches. I did not want to spend the money on new cables (around $100 I think) so I messed with it for about an hour on the first one and 10 minutes on the second one. The only difficulty I had was aligning the cable with the zip tie in a way that the handles still triggered the cable to slide correctly in the housing.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:12 PM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My driver side rear half door won't open at all. I've had the panel pulled off for about a year- I can't count how many times I've drenched it with PB blaster. Cable is still good. I've tried everything from every time this topic comes up and have yet to get that door open.

Eventually, I plan to replace all four doors, so I'm guessing a Sawzall is what will eventually open it...

Old 10-14-2014, 09:40 PM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
Believe it or not, my cables and ends are fine. The lower latch just won't let go- it's completely seized up. That's the hurdle I have to get over...

Old 10-15-2014, 12:18 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
I just bought an 08 for an engine swap project, and it's got the 2 small suicide doors, and they were sticking.
I doused them in silicon lubricant, they seem better, but not as good as they should be.

I wonder if the body on these trucks goes out of spec after a certain amount of miles?
The crew cab models have the supports, the ext cab with suicide doors has more open unsupported space.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:51 AM
C-Jones Lawn & Tree
Freshman User
I am about to attempt this very repair as well. I have watched a 3-part series this guy put on youtube and am about to replicate his repair.

Seems affordable & durable so we'll see. My driver-side rear-suicide door won't open so it is the test subject. I have removed the interior panel & have it apart at moment. I will admit that yanking on the broken cable & situating the open handle simultaneously took a while to get the door open. Finally got it, now to parts store for his $3 pipe pieces. I will update if this works as well as it did in his video. His comments section is full of folks who claim his idea was a success. thanks!

Old 08-29-2015, 01:46 PM
eelmot
New User
Alternate Repair

I used the youtube video as well but instead of using the pipe I used Air compressor quick connects, slotted them with a dremel cut off wheel so the cable could go through them and crimped them back on the cable. They fit perfectly in the slots the original broken ends come out of and on the cable. I will try to attach a couple of pics to demonstrate

latch side after removing broken part

Fits perfectly in slot

Slot with dremel, cut off to shorten the end a little and put cable through slot and it will crimp on sheath.

bend out end a little so it will fit in and lock in place

Once it is in tap the fork back in place, done with this end

Dremel cut

Other end, same procedure

This one also fits in fork at handle. This was a quick procedure, just make sure you keep it the same length.. you can wrap black tape around the sheath to use more of the length of the quick connect to crimp it. this lets the threaded end which has a larger inner diameter crimp on the tape.

Hope this helps someone out there. I have done both doors upper latch, One has been working without trouble for more than a year...

Old 08-29-2015, 05:15 PM
samsdad02
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I had to pull on the handle and hip check to get it to release. After a few times of having to do it, I loosened the catch on the truck body and moved it outboard a little bit. Hasn't stuck since.

Quick Reply: 99 F250 extended cab back doors won't...