2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Escape key fob opens my 09 expe

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 09:33 PM
mkac100
5th Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Escape key fob opens my 09 expe

I recently purchased an 09 expe and my 08 escape key fob opens the expe and escape door at the same time. I reprogrammed both vehicles to use their respective fobs; but no change. I thought when you program the fobs using the ignition on/off procedure it erased any previos fobs?

any ideas why the escape fob works on the both trucks? thanks for the help.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:44 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mkac100
I recently purchased an 09 expe and my 08 escape key fob opens the expe and escape door at the same time. I reprogrammed both vehicles to use their respective fobs; but no change. I thought when you program the fobs using the ignition on/off procedure it erased any previos fobs?

any ideas why the escape fob works on the both trucks? thanks for the help.
Wow, that is strange. It must be that both cars are using the same frequency. If this is dictated by the cars computer module, resetting it won't change it. I would call the dealer you bought Expy at and explain it to them. Tell them you can't use your FOB, etc. They might be able to help. You may have to take both cars down there to show them.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:09 AM
mkac100
5th Wheeling
Thanks; yea seemed strange to me too. to be clear, as I think my original post may be a little confusing. Also I did some searches and understand a little now how the PATS / Securilock work<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
I have an 08 escape and a 09 expy. I have had the expy about 1 month and the escape about 2 years.<o></o>
<o></o>
1. the 08 escape key/fob (all in one integrated key type) opens the doors but does start the expy.<o></o>
2. the expy key fob (all in one) does not open or start the escape.<o></o>
3. I reprogrammed the expy and escape fob's using the on/off 8 times procedure. which worked as I got the lock/unlock confirmations when complete.<o></o>
4. no change<o></o>
<o></o>
one item may be related; my wife one night was leaving her parents house and her key fob would not work. funny thing about this is she freaked out how do I get in the truck. My mother in law (who normally is a dingbat) says "can't you just use the regular key" OH YEA. the actual key unlocked the door and started the expy. after that have not had the same problem.<o></o>
<o></o>
Biggest thing that scares me is supposedly there is supposed to billion's of combinations to the PATS / Securilock system. the same Fob working on two vehicles (without programming them) is supposed to be in the billions. So now I have no trust in this system that someone else can't open my expy with another fob.<o></o>

Old 10-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
sorry to hear your troubles.

So the remote for the Excape operates both the Expy and the Escape?
now, is this for all functions?

lock/unlock/pop rear window?
when you did the programming, you only did the 2 escape remotes in the Escape...then the 2 Expy remotes in the Expy only....sounds stupid, but I've heard of people programming 4 remotes to 2 vehicles so the remote would operate either vehicle

as for the key starting her Expy, yeah, there are billions of possible combinations. The RF frequencies for the remotes however, are quite limited.
PATS refers to the actual little microchip embedded inside the key. it's just a tiny little RFID. You won't ever see 2 that are alike.

I personally have had a clicker duplication myself on my 4Runner. I had a Silver 4Runner, and another lady in town had a Black one. We could lock/unlock each others cars at will. Luckily, I discovered the issue, and never left anything in there...freaky though.

I would have the Expy looked at by the Dealership. They may need to swap out your SJB. The SJB should not be accepting RF signals from a remote that isn't programmed to it. If the remotes were the same RF frequency, then your Expy remotes should return the favor on the Escape...since that isn't happening, I highly suspect the Expy SJB
on another forum, I've seen a similar complaint about a Fusion remote and F-150.
if the Dealership can't or won't help you...eBay is your friend. You can buy remotes for fairly cheap off there. I'd get a set off there for the Escape and keep the OEM for spares...or sell 'em

Old 10-08-2009, 03:18 PM
mkac100
5th Wheeling
yes reprogrammed 2 original's to the escape and the 2 orginals to the expy.

I just noticed in my post I said the escape key starts the expy. the escape key does NOT START the expy only operates doors, hatch, etc.

guess I have to head to the dealer. the Expy only has 800 miles on it.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:51 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Doesn't' the SJB dictate the remotes RF frequency? If so, I think swapping that out is the only real answer.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

the SJB "learns" the signal from the remote...it doesn't teach the remote anything

each remote has a "unique" signal. after you do the key on/off cycle, the SJB is put into a receptive mode. that is why it has you press a button on the remote.

the SJB will intercept that pulse, and record that unique signal as part of it's allowed list.

since the signals are obviously going through...even though the SJB hasn't been programmed for that remote...that makes me think the SJB is faulted.

like I mentioned earlier, if the remotes shared a frequency, it would work on both cars. it isn't common, but the frequencies do get recycled and there are only so many possibilities. there are just so many cars out there that it almost never happens.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:35 AM
mkac100
5th Wheeling
Thanks ; what you are saying makes sense. I was thinking from the begining there was something wrong with the expy. I am bringing the expy in on monday morning. now Im just worried about fighting with the dealer on this to get it covered under warranty. This will be my first experience with this ford dealer service dept so hope it does not turn bad. At least now I have a better understanding of how the system's work and what could be wrong.

I'll post back after the dealer lets me know whats going on.

thanks for the help.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:24 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
That makes sense Tylus. But like you said, if the by luck all remotes are sending out the same frequency, replacing the SJB won't cure the problem. I think the cheapest/easiest way to test is to buy/get/borrow another fob and program it for the Expy and see if it then opens the Escape, correct?

Old 10-09-2009, 11:17 AM
mkac100
5th Wheeling
the expy fob does not open the escape.

escape fob opens expy and escape. What Tylus said, which makes pefect sense, is if the expy and escape remotes where sharing a frequency then the expy remote would also open both vehicles. since the expy remote is not opening the escape it is doubtful it is a shared frequency issue.

I am curios if ANY ford fob will open my expy now. Im stopping by my inlaws today and am going to try his mustang fob. just curios.

Actually cheapest easiest way in this case better be take it to the dealer. as I mentioned the Expy is less than 1 month old with 800 miles on it. If the dealer can not/will not help at no charge there will be hell to pay.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by mkac100
I am curios if ANY ford fob will open my expy now. Im stopping by my inlaws today and am going to try his mustang fob. just curios.
that would be freaky.

pretty much any remote from any 2007+ Ford will work with any other Ford/Lincoln/Merc that is 2007+

and some 2005-2006 Cars as well. But only the remotes from 07+ on them...not vice versa

no matter what, this is a warranty concern. they have to correct this issue. because it obviously is operating counter to the designed way. But I'm sure you'll get some crap. Just make sure to ride their behinds about it. And if you get any flak, call the 1-800 # in the front of your Owners Manual. File a complaint. You will have a better result if you do.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:35 PM
mkac100
5th Wheeling
well tried father inlaws 08 mustang it didn't work. didn't think it would or hoped it wouldn't but wanted to know. made me feel a little better.

we will see what happens monday.