Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

High torque starters comments

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Happyreefer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
recieved the new starter..

removed the first DB Electrical starter and thought I would see the starting gear torn up pretty good from the metal shavings from the grinding I was hearing. The starter gear looked pretty good, but could see where it was making contact to the flywheel.

installed the second DB Electrical starter they sent me due to the first one grinding. Well, this one sounds better, but still sounds like it is grinding a little.

Can someone that ordered this "higher torque" starter from DB electrical describe the best they can how the starter sound. I know it sounds like a weird request. I know this is a reduction gear starter vs. the Mitsubishi type and probably sounds different when all is working correctly, but it just sound odd.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that someone had flywheel issues when using a reduction gear starter, don't know where I read that thought. She does start faster than she has ever started even with the grinding sound.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The Mitsubishi and Nippondenso are both gear reduction starters.

AC Delco is the only direct drive starter for the IDI.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:36 PM
Knox
Senior User
I just ordered a Nippondenso like that from Nampa for 200 delivered tomorrow
wish I had known about this earlier

i used a thumb wheel ratchet with an extension to get the top bolt off

Old 02-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Happyreefer
recieved the new starter..

removed the first DB Electrical starter and thought I would see the starting gear torn up pretty good from the metal shavings from the grinding I was hearing. The starter gear looked pretty good, but could see where it was making contact to the flywheel.

installed the second DB Electrical starter they sent me due to the first one grinding. Well, this one sounds better, but still sounds like it is grinding a little.

Can someone that ordered this "higher torque" starter from DB electrical describe the best they can how the starter sound. I know it sounds like a weird request. I know this is a reduction gear starter vs. the Mitsubishi type and probably sounds different when all is working correctly, but it just sound odd.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that someone had flywheel issues when using a reduction gear starter, don't know where I read that thought. She does start faster than she has ever started even with the grinding sound.

Looking for an update... how's the starter holding up? Still grinding?

Old 02-11-2010, 11:04 PM
ytlogger
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did I see somewhere that there are starters with 12 teeth and others with 13?

Old 02-11-2010, 11:47 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well as it turns out I did need a new starter. Got it locally in a few days ago and while it is a mitsubishi, its not a gear reduction. Seems to work fine but it sounds funny compared to the old one.

I should add that I often had problems with the gear grinding instead of engaging the flywheel. So far that hasn't happened but I haven't driven it much since the new injector pump and starter.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Happyreefer
Senior User
Sorry, i never finished this one out. thanks for reminding me...

After they sent me out the new one and they paid to have the damaged one sent back I installed the new one and everything worked great.

Since installing the Weather down here in Panama City Florida has been pretty cold. (not as cold as most of you up north) But cold enough for this Arizona Boy to complain about it every day. I dont even like going outside in this weather.

the truck starts awesome, no problems at all. she kicks over very fast. before the winter weather kicked in, I did replace all glowplugs, replace factory battery harness with new 3/0 cable including grounds, and the new starter. I have had no hard starts what so ever. I would recommend this company, they didnt blink an eye when I called and told them i was having issues on a new install of there starter, they just said, "ill have another one on the way tomorrow.

Good luck.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's what i was looking for. Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:52 PM
idiabuse
Senior User
Ok I have one now for about 3 years, A few weeks ago it quit on me, so I yanked it out and opened it up cleaned it out, stuck it back in and worked fine till this morning.

Hit the key and it clicks as if the bendix it kicking but no dice. So it is out now but have not dug into it yet, it is in as many pieces as I could make. When I was taking it apart a single ball bearing fell out, dont have a clue where it came from, So Later tonight I will go back and try something.
Anyone rebuild these starters? Very robust starter but this one is picking on me

Javier

Old 07-17-2013, 03:48 PM
MackGuy
Senior User
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but it looks like DB doesn't have these any more (link above is dead and search for my 90 F250 7.3 comes up blank.

I found some on Ebay... What's the best bet for a "high torque/gear reduction" starter these days?

Old 07-17-2013, 11:53 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
I found mine on the Summit racing site

Old 07-18-2013, 08:39 AM
MackGuy
Senior User
Thanks I see them on Ebay and Amazon as wel, and I did find them through DB, but when I used their search by vehicle it came up blank.

Is anything needed to adapt this type of starter or is it a 1:1 replacement as far as hardware and cables etc?

Thanks,

Old 07-18-2013, 03:19 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
You can get them at Advanced Auto if you have one I don't buy crap from Epay at 200.00 some odd bucks a pop I want to be sure its going to be good with a good warrentee but no its a direct bolt in.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:24 PM
MackGuy
Senior User
One on Ebay is $59 with free shipping, and was recommended by someone here who had purchased and was happy with it... figure for $59 it's worth a shot, I'll just keep the stock one as a backup if needed for some reason.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:35 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
That is NOT a gear drive starter BEWARE! No way there going to sell one for that price.

Quick Reply: High torque starters comments