Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007+ Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Freshman User

mylo is starting off with a positive reputation.
2007 Cross bars/rails interchangable

Hello all: I have a 2007 expedition. I have a friend who has a 2005 expedition. He is going on a long trip and would like to borrow my cross bars so he can put them on his vehicle and mount a roof top carrier. So my first question is are these interchangable (will 2007 rails work on a 2005)? Which would lead to the next question. If they are how do you remove them? Is there any other issue with doing this that I am not thinking about? Thanks again for all of your help.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Senior User

07EXPYEL is starting off with a positive reputation.
Take a look at both vehicles closely and measure make sure they're the same style. I had to find a replacement for one of mine that got damaged, and as I recall the earlier models attach differntly. My 2007 did not come with the cross bars so I had to order seperately and and install myself. The instructions required you to remove part of the plastic trim on the rear most rail bracket on each side, then slide in the crossbars in the channel. You can remove the crossbars without doing this, but it will keep the channel brackets will still be stuck in the channel.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Postmaster

berry1234 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I do not believe they are interchangeable. Call a dealer and ask the parts person.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:26 AM
Elder User

chuck s is starting off with a positive reputation.
I gotta admit I rarely ever see the roof rack used for anything but decoration and dropping fuel economy with air turbulence! Just how much stuff is this guy carrying?

Fuel mileage is going to take a big hit with stuff up there.

-- Chuck
Old 10-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Freshman User

I have talked to 2 different parts guys at two different dealer. One said they are interchangeable and the other wasn't sure. They do have different part numbers, which to me means they are not interchangable. My buddy will be driving to Florida from Michigan for a 12 day vacation with a family of 5 s I can see where he needs the extra space.

Does anyone know how to remove these? The parts guys did not have any info on how to do it. Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 10-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Senior User

Just to clarify, mine was damaged because my wife tried to drive into our garage with our Yakima skybox21 still attached! oops! We use our cross bars frequently with our cargo box for about 9,000 vacation miles. An areodynamic cargo box doesn't affect the mileage all that much.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Freshman User

07expyel: So to clarify with what you said. You need to remove the plastic cap at the back of the vehicle. That is definately the way it looked to me. I tried pulling on this but was worried about breaking it.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Senior User

Yes the plastic cap at the rear. As I recall from 2 years ago its pretty hard to remove, I mean you don't want it coming off going dow the road. I think I have the instructions at home and might be able post a summary tomorrow.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Freshman User

The directions would be awesome. Thanks so much.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Junior User

david_jr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
I gotta admit I rarely ever see the roof rack used for anything but decoration and dropping fuel economy with air turbulence! Just how much stuff is this guy carrying?

Fuel mileage is going to take a big hit with stuff up there.

-- Chuck
You don't have to be carrying much to need the roof. My 08 expedition has very little room behind the rear seat for cargo. It is about full with 3 camp chairs and a couple blankets for soccer games. And stuff keeps falling out when the hatch goes up. We had about 5 times as much room behind the rear seat in our Chrysler Minivan and the shape of the gate allowed you to really fill it up. We will be using the rooftop carrier and a hitch mount carrier when we go on vacation. I had been thinking about picking up more crossbars so that I could put a soft carrier in front of our Sport20. I hope there is enough room for our family of 5 plus dog. My family does not know how to travel light.

Mylo did you get a price on those crossbars?
Old 10-10-2009, 07:02 AM
Senior User

eddiemoney is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exactly why I got the EL, that extra bit of room helps so much with cargo. .. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_jr View Post
You don't have to be carrying much to need the roof. My 08 expedition has very little room behind the rear seat for cargo. It is about full with 3 camp chairs and a couple blankets for soccer games. And stuff keeps falling out when the hatch goes up. We had about 5 times as much room behind the rear seat in our Chrysler Minivan and the shape of the gate allowed you to really fill it up. We will be using the rooftop carrier and a hitch mount carrier when we go on vacation. I had been thinking about picking up more crossbars so that I could put a soft carrier in front of our Sport20. I hope there is enough room for our family of 5 plus dog. My family does not know how to travel light.

Mylo did you get a price on those crossbars?
Old 10-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Senior User

I looked, but couldn't find the cross bar installation instructions. They'll come with new cross bars.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:04 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator

Tags
08, 2005, 2007, 2009, bars, cross, crossbar, crossbars, expedition, ford, install, interchangeability, luggage, parts, rack, slide