1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

installing volere front with motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 01:36 PM
bbslamjam
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing volere front with motor?

I am starting a new project. Going to install a volare front end was also thinking about putting the engine and trans steering column power brake and rear end in also. its a 1983 new york with 318. Has anybody installed all or most of them and is there any problems You ran into thanks

Old 10-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
INTO WHAT?

Most of the inmates here think that we should keep our vehicles a. stock b. modified but all ford (like just being just partially pregnant) c. and a few who couldn’t care less, it’s your truck. It is the Volare fans (all 3) who will reply, eventually.

Get 5 more posts and beat the snot out of the search machine!

Old 10-06-2009, 02:33 PM
bbslamjam
New User
its a 56 f 100. I have a 1956 f100 that is all stock very nice truck.
my son whats a little more custom and I did so research on the volere front end and it looked like something that we could do together
I know that putting mopar into a ford is a bad word but if it is what my son waits them i will try it thanks

Old 10-07-2009, 01:23 AM
clobe26
Freshman User
The volare front end is a wise idea, "suspension-wise" & the "affordable way" of doin' a cheap IFS system...but as far as the motor....ditch the idea. Keep it ALL FORD, my friend.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:13 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Most of what you describe was done to my truck by a previous owner (except engine and trans which was a Chevy. Only the Volare IFS remains on mine. Anyway......

Advantages-IFS works well. Truck drives and stops like a new car if that's what you want. Wheels will have matching bolt pattern. Engine might bolt right in without moving the motormounts. Maybe.

Disadvantages-Rear axle was not really an ideal width. Who wants to run old 80s Mopar 14" rims anyway? Chrysler steering column looked hideously out of place. PB booster assy was not an ideal fit, there are salvage yard Ford options that work far better.

I'll leave the engine debate for somebody else this time. Search and you will find more than you care to read.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:25 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bbslamjam
I am starting a new project. Going to install a volare front end was also thinking about putting the engine and trans steering column power brake and rear end in also. its a 1983 new york with 318. Has anybody installed all or most of them and is there any problems You ran into thanks
I did much of what you are contemplating except for the engine and trans. I used an 87 5th Avenue donor for the front suspension, rear end, drive shaft, steering column, gas pedal, brake pedal, master cylinder and booster, wiring, and wheels. The only parts I would not use again is the wiring system and steering column. I wasted many hours sorting out unnecessary wires from the harness to make it useable. Although I disagree somewhat with my esteemed friend 'fenders regarding the look of the Chrysler column in the truck (hideously out of place?), there are other reasons not to use it. It has no neutral safety switch (unless you plan to use the Chrysler transmission) and the directional signals/brake lights are non-integrated which means you have to run separate lights out back for directional signals and brake lights. I also went with a Chevy engine but the Chrysler drive shaft was a perfect fit lengthwise and all I had to do was put a GM front yoke on it. Some Chryslers had 14 inch wheels but the 87 5th Avenue had 15's and they are a good fit. If your truck is a 48-52 the rear end width is perfect. It might be a tighter squeeze with a 53-56. You can also use the Chrysler rear springs and spring mounts/hangers for a smoother ride out back as long as you do not plan to haul anything heavy.

I saw a 47 Ford with the 318 and T-bar suspension in it a few years ago and the owner said he used the original motor mounts. You can always try.

Here's a picture of the steering column in my 48 F-3 and with the Chrysler wheels mounted...visit my gallery for other pictures.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:35 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Vern

My column had a big cushy Chrysler luxury car steering wheel. It was silver or saddle, I forget. But I know it didn't go well with a yellow dash. The Chrysler Pentastar emblem wasn't helping either. In any case, yours looks fine. The sporty wheel and color match help a lot.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:39 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fatfenders
Vern

My column had a big cushy Chrysler luxury car steering wheel. It was silver or saddle, I forget. But I know it didn't go well with a yellow dash. The Chrysler Pentastar emblem wasn't helping either. In any case, yours looks fine. The sporty wheel and color match help a lot.
Dewayne,

No wonder you thought it was hidious looking with that set up!