1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Restoring 1949 Ford F3

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:46 AM
CarlH
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Josh's F2 parts

Josh,
I don't need the 8' box...mine is in great condition. But I do need a tailgate. I bid on yours in eBay, but was not around when the bidding closed and lost it at the last minute. Anybody else have one in good condition that they wish to sell? I see that the LMC catalog shows that they have tailgates for F2, F3 pickups.

Carl
1949 F3
1997 F150

Old 11-24-2009, 11:29 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by CarlH
Josh,
I don't need the 8' box...mine is in great condition. But I do need a tailgate. I bid on yours in eBay, but was not around when the bidding closed and lost it at the last minute. Anybody else have one in good condition that they wish to sell? I see that the LMC catalog shows that they have tailgates for F2, F3 pickups.

Carl
1949 F3
1997 F150
Call or email the guy in the ad I posted, maybe he will sell the one from his F-3 or has an extra one??
Sorry you missed the one I had, I had it listed on the classifieds here for a while, then it went on to ebay.

good luck
Josh

Old 11-24-2009, 11:47 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by CarlH
I see that the LMC catalog shows that they have tailgates for F2, F3 pickups.
Not sure I'd believe that. Sounds like poor proof reading of the catalog before going to print. Before buying I'd double/triple check with them on measurements. An F-2/3 tailgate measures 54" wide by 19.2" tall. The F-1 gate is all different at 49" wide and 17.56" tall. Stu

Old 11-24-2009, 10:26 PM
metalguy3
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Josh.
I spoke with him and got the bed. I am super happy. This is the missing piece to my 20 year project of which I have ten left to go. I dont know what it is about these trucks but you know your addicted when you are spending way more than you could ever resale it for and still you keep going. Thanks again,
Scott.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:55 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by metalguy3
Thanks Josh.
I spoke with him and got the bed. I am super happy. This is the missing piece to my 20 year project of which I have ten left to go. I dont know what it is about these trucks but you know your addicted when you are spending way more than you could ever resale it for and still you keep going. Thanks again,
Scott.
Good deal, Glad you got it.
how far do you have to transport it? is he going to remove it and take it apart to ship? just curious.

I know what you mean about a 20 yr project, im about 9 years into my 51 and it doesn't look like much... once you get in so deep theres no going back

btw welcome to the FTE stick around and post up some pictures of your truck, I need inspiration.

Josh

Old 11-25-2009, 06:39 PM
metalguy3
New User
Originally Posted by jmadsen
Good deal, Glad you got it.
how far do you have to transport it? is he going to remove it and take it apart to ship? just curious.

I know what you mean about a 20 yr project, im about 9 years into my 51 and it doesn't look like much... once you get in so deep theres no going back

btw welcome to the FTE stick around and post up some pictures of your truck, I need inspiration.

Josh
I likely will be trailering it from Utah to northern Minnesota. I have no problem taking it on the chassis. The drums would be good to have also. This is ok because Im originally from Utah and my family is there. This gives me a reason to go for a visit. I thought about asking if he would consider taking it apart and shipping it but Im worried it may get damaged in that process.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:47 PM
McGiver
Freshman User
That truck looks like a great project. I did a 51 that was worse off. You have all the parts it seems and a flathead V-8, not a six. I'm working on a 48 now in North Jersey.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:46 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Carl,
I found another express box tonight on my way home from work, actually I had seen it a while ago but decided to finally stop and look closer.

I had always thought it was a regular box because all I could really see was the front and part of one side since it was in a field with stuff around it and set back off the highway and driving by at 45 mph. Anyway there was nobody home so I will try back when it looks like someone is around.

looks like it still has the tailgate too? but not 100%
someone has made it into a trailer.

btw metalguy I drove to washington state to get my 1/2 ton bed/trailer and got to visit granparents and cousins etc then just easily towed it home and actually found an old truck yard in Idaho and loaded up the trailer with more truck parts on the way.

Cheers

Josh

Old 12-05-2009, 10:05 AM
CarlH
Senior User
Tailgate for F3

As I mentioned before, I am looking for a tailgate for my 1949 F3 project. I was surprised to see that the National Parts Depot catalog lists new tailgates for "F1 -3...48-50(early 50) with Ford script" implying they are all the same size. Not true, of course.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:47 PM
cornatlk
New User
51 f-3

OK,,,, another newbie on the block. I just hauled a 51 f-3 down from Pa. two weeks ago. It's got a great running S6. The wiring is out and another harness ready to go back in. I did read the previous posts and discovered about the two part wheels. Mine is a barn find and the wheel are in pretty good shape,,, at least I'm going to try them. I have 6 wheels, 4 road and two with mud grips. All are 7.00 X 17. I'll will have tons of questions along the way but my first is. Where do we find these big skinny tires?
appreciate the help. Looks like I csn't add fotos until I upgrade membership. I'll get that later
Lowell

Old 12-14-2009, 02:09 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
First, welcome to the group. Glad to have you hanging around.

Second, I'd sure advise against thinking that your wheels are in "pretty good shape". The design alone makes them dangerous, and most likely unserviceable. No reputable tire shops will touch widow makers anymore. And if you're going for new tires anyway, you're much better off finding some used 16s if they'll fit over your rear drums. If your truck was produced in the latter part of '51 you're lucky and have 12" rear drums. If it was produced in the early part of '51 you'll have the older style 14" rear drums that some guys say won't fit inside newer 16" rims. If that turns out to be your situation, you can probably go with 16.5" tubeless that are plentiful, or 17.5" tubeless that are less plentiful but will work great and look very much like your stock 17s. The source that I like for vintage tires is Universal Tire. They sell STA tires that are made in the USA. Here's their link. Stu

Universal Vintage Tire

Old 12-15-2009, 01:28 PM
CarlH
Senior User
Used truck parts in salvage yards

I spent the past week in the Fresno, CA, area on business and noticed a number of salvage yards that appeared to specialize in pickups and trucks. I am wondering if there is a salvage yard out there that might have the one-piece wheels that would fit my F3. The climate out there lets things last longer than ours in New England. Stu says they would be 1952 F250 wheels...anybody on the list from Southern California who would know of such a salvage yard? I will be spending the holidays east of LA in the San Bernadino area and could do some searching, say in Fontana, Riverside, Ontario, etc.

CarlH
1949 F3
1997 F150

Old 12-15-2009, 02:29 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Wait a minute, Carl. The wheels you'd be looking for would not be 1952 F-2 wheels. Those would agreedly be one piece, but they won't fit over your 1949 rear drums. Going back and re-reading this thread you've said you've got a 17.5" wheel that fits and looks to have a 1958 manufacture date. That would be the wheel you're looking for. I've got two of these out in the barn. One is Budd #70720 and the other is Budd #73240. The latter is the replacement number for the first number. The numbers will be stamped on the concave side along the edge of the drop center. I show these used by Ford, Dodge, and Studebaker up through at least 1964. Probably longer.

A while back on a different thread Bill (Number Dummy) came on with the name of a California yard that he suggested might have wheels that a member was looking for. I don't remember the thread, but the yard is Southern California Truck Wrecking, the owner is Marty (ask for him) and the phone is (323)587-3144. Stu

Old 12-15-2009, 08:45 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
CarlH I may have found you a tailgate? I made contact with the fellow tonight and he said he was going to talk to his grandma about the trailer. I'll let you know.

btw Carlh just a few more posts and we can email, & pm you too,
cheers
Josh

Old 12-16-2009, 12:43 PM
CarlH
Senior User
Tailgate for my F3

Josh,
Thanks, that would be great. Let me know the details when you find out.

Stu,
I will call that wrecking yard in LA. If they have the right wheels (did you say Budd #70720 or 73240?), I might be able to find time to get down there. It is on South Alameda Street, east of LAX, about 40 miles from where I will be spending the holiday in Ontario.

CarlH
P.S. I would like to download a photo of my F3, but have not been able to do so. Any tips?

Quick Reply: Restoring 1949 Ford F3