General Automotive Discussion

Who thinks Mahindra trucks will actually be sold?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 05:46 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Ford2go,
You may have read about the results of a lawsuit between Perez and Mahindra.

Jared, maybe you ought to mashup the 300 turbo as well as the smaller 240D engine.
Sell a complete kit for 70 or 125 horsepower conversions.
Getting it legal without urea injection would be the problem here in the States.

Do Toyota and Isuzu see a market so small that it's not worth getting their existing small diesels certified?
Very good points Jim. I've seen Toyota and Isuzu diesels all over the world in pickups and small SUV's and yet, not one word about US production. Clearly the ability to market the engines is there, but is the demand?

Old 09-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
It's not just Toyota and Isuzu. Nissan has been selling diesel powered small trucks for years, everywhere but north america.
Heck, Ford and GM offer diesel powered cars in both Europe and Austrailia. They know that the European car market is nearly 50% diesel, so in order to be able to survive there, they must offer diesel options.

I believe that the US EPA has killed the chances for many of the worldwide diesel engines to make it to the US market.
A good example of this, the "new" 2009 VW 2.0L TDI was first released in 2004 to the rest of the world, but it took another 5 model years for the US EPA to approve it for use here. As soon as that engine hit the US market, it recieved awards for "Green car of the year" in 2009 (VW Jetta) and 2010 (Audi A3). The ~40 MPG hiway rating isn't bad, but there are other VW/Audi models in Europe that are capable of acheiving 75 MPG. (Who needs a Prius?)
It seems our government "leaders" want to shove hybrid technology down our thoats, while ignoring the proven reliable and clean burning diesel technology that the rest of the world has already embraced.
For those who think diesel isn't as fast as gasoline, check out the 2009 World Touring Car Championship results. The manufacturers title was won by SEAT (VW owned) with a TDI powered car, and one of their drivers won the driver title, competing against gasoline powered cars.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Ford2go,
You may have read about the results of a lawsuit between Perez and Mahindra.

Jared, maybe you ought to mashup the 300 turbo as well as the smaller 240D engine.
Sell a complete kit for 70 or 125 horsepower conversions.
Getting it legal without urea injection would be the problem here in the States.

Do Toyota and Isuzu see a market so small that it's not worth getting their existing small diesels certified?
I actually am planning on selling a kit of an adapter plate and flywheel, but in a little while.
Ford has a four cylinder diesel they use in non- North American markets, but the US EPA is one of the biggest hurdles to getting a light duty diesel vehicle here. The second biggest hurdle is the mentality of the American public. For decades, people have insisted on being isolated from any sign of the power source of the vehicle, luxury meant quiet and a soft ride with very little exception. A diesel engine, while far more efficient than a gasoline engine, is not quiet.
I actually think that urea injection thing is pretty decent, as it gets rid of most of the DPF and it's associated burn-off and poor fuel economy. They can actually run the engines where they burn most efficiently, then use the urea to reduce the NOx, instead of overloading the engine with an EGR and all kinds of extra soot.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Old 10-19-2010, 09:00 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
How's the Mercedes conversion coming?

If there was a diesel Hilux 4x4 available here I would probably be driving one.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:27 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
I really have to wonder about Mahindra and it's small trucks. The Mahindra diesel truck will bring some pretty steep competition to the US market. It will revolutionize compact trucks, assuming it actually makes it here.

Which brings me to this thought. If I heard on the news that Mahindra was sabotaged in some way so that it's entry was delayed due to EPA regulations, I would not be the least bit surprised. Think about who has the most to lose when and if Mahindra makes it here.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
How's the Mercedes conversion coming?

If there was a diesel Hilux 4x4 available here I would probably be driving one.
Slowly, very slowly. I have the bellhousing adapter done, just need to clean it up a bit and then make a copy of it. I'm having a few bits laser cut at work for the oil filter relocation, then I just need to get moving on it.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:11 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
I really have to wonder about Mahindra and it's small trucks. The Mahindra diesel truck will bring some pretty steep competition to the US market. It will revolutionize compact trucks, assuming it actually makes it here.

Which brings me to this thought. If I heard on the news that Mahindra was sabotaged in some way so that it's entry was delayed due to EPA regulations, I would not be the least bit surprised. Think about who has the most to lose when and if Mahindra makes it here.
I dont really think that Ford, GM or Toyota cares, the volume will be too small for them to worry about. Thats why they arent serving this potential market in the first place. Example, VW TDI's compete directly, in theory, with the Prius. Do you think Toyota worries, given the number of NA VW dealers and sales volume?

Old 03-13-2012, 02:22 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
I posted this in one of the old Mahindra threads and thought I'd drop it in here too....

Final Nail in Coffin for Global Vehicles USA - PickupTrucks.com News