1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Ford F450 Super Duty: Loses Weight, Gains Better Gas Mileage article

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Ford-Trucks Editors
Host
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Ford F450 Super Duty: Loses Weight, Gains Better Gas Mileage article

Hello again,

Hope you're not getting sick of us. Without a doubt, no one is getting sick of finding out more about the 2011 Super Duty. Especially when the information is about a leaner F-450: lighter, yet still just as strong.

Is mileage a concern for your daily Super Duty usage? How far do you go a day? Are you hauling in all those travels? What sort of mileage do you get? Any unique ideas you came up with to ease the load and get more miles to the gallon?

Is this the sort of improvement that you wanted in a large Super Duty? Does it add to your thoughts of going new Super Duty next year?

Find the Articles here (scroll down to Latest Articles to find the photos): Ford Truck Enthusiasts .: Articles

The News can be found here: 2009 .: News

Always more to talk about when it comes to the F450: Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Threads Tagged with f450

Thanks

Old 10-03-2009, 10:08 AM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
I would think unless your getting free fuel then it should always be a concern. Who wouldnt want better economy if everything else were the same. The problem arises when they have to cut down on strength or durability to get that better mpg, folks usually care more about those things than mpg. But all else equal, yes please give me more MPG

Old 10-03-2009, 03:56 PM
slickrock01
Senior User
If I cared about fuel milage and economy I'd be driving a Prius, I own a Super Duty 4x4 because that's what I need for my towing and hauling and lifestyle.

I sure as hell hope Ford doesn't turn the Super Duty into a gutless soccer mom truck like dodge has done .

If I wanted to store little drink boxes of juice in my floorboards I'd carry a cooler, I really hope Ford isn't going to make a work truck Super Duty into a wanna be Green Mobile...tundra stock will go through the roof if Ford starts gutting its Super Duty line in the name of fuel economy.

this 2008 F250 Super Duty XLT 4x4 I have already has too much wussy soccer mom items on it as it is! Make it less able to haul and tow and start worrying about MPG over function and ability and I'll be first in line begging tundra for a 3/4 ton in their line.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by slickrock01
If I cared about fuel milage and economy I'd be driving a Prius, I own a Super Duty 4x4 because that's what I need for my towing and hauling and lifestyle.

I sure as hell hope Ford doesn't turn the Super Duty into a gutless soccer mom truck like dodge has done

If I wanted to store little drink boxes of juice in my floorboards I'd carry a cooler, I really hope Ford isn't going to make a work truck Super Duty into a wanna be Green Mobile...tundra stock will go through the roof if Ford starts gutting its Super Duty line in the name of fuel economy.

this 2008 F250 Super Duty XLT 4x4 I have already has too much wussy soccer mom items on it as it is! Make it less able to haul and tow and start worrying about MPG over function and ability and I'll be first in line begging tundra for a 3/4 ton in their line.
Huh? Why do you condemn a truck for features or comfort rather than for what it can or can't do?

Are you serious? The base engine will have over 400 HP/TQ, and the PSD has over 700 ft-lbs of torque, yet you're accusing it of being a "gutless" soccer mom vehicle?

What's so wrong with a truck that does everything well? Why does a good work truck need to be raucous, unrefined, and basic?

Hate to break it to you, but most of us LIKE our "wussy soccer mom items". I like my big crew cab, power windows, locks, mirror, and pedals. Anyone who thinks it's gutless obviously has never seen it tow a trailer.

Newer trucks do everything better. The 2011 will be no exception to this. If you like, I'm sure there are lots of 1997 and older "gutless" 225 HP PSD trucks out there to suit your liking. Quite a bit cheaper, too.

What's wrong with improvement?

Old 10-03-2009, 04:37 PM
montecarlo31
Elder User
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Huh? Why do you condemn a truck for features or comfort rather than for what it can or can't do?

Are you serious? The base engine will have over 400 HP/TQ, and the PSD has over 700 ft-lbs of torque, yet you're accusing it of being a "gutless" soccer mom vehicle?

What's so wrong with a truck that does everything well? Why does a good work truck need to be raucous, unrefined, and basic?

Hate to break it to you, but most of us LIKE our "wussy soccer mom items". I like my big crew cab, power windows, locks, mirror, and pedals. Anyone who thinks it's gutless obviously has never seen it tow a trailer.

Newer trucks do everything better. The 2011 will be no exception to this. If you like, I'm sure there are lots of 1997 and older "gutless" 225 HP PSD trucks out there to suit your liking. Quite a bit cheaper, too.

What's wrong with improvement?
Yeah he must have missed that he's got the best superduty ever (assumes he's got a 08+). Not to mention he's from UT and VT. Need we say more.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What? Are we Super Duty owners supposed to wear "panties" now?

Old 10-03-2009, 07:47 PM
nitrogen
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts
hey not me but my wife does and she owns half the truck

Old 10-03-2009, 08:03 PM
jsimon724
Elder User
Biggest issues I see are: 1) Rear end goes from Dana 110 to a Dana 80.
2) Front diff goes from Dana Super 60 to standard Dana 60.
3) Wheels go from 19.5" to 17" - that means no more F or G load-rated tires.
4)Towing capacity remains the same, but payload drops considerably (I forget the # quoted, something like 500-600 lbs.)

Old 10-04-2009, 08:31 AM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by slickrock01
Same here. But I'll take better fuel economy if they can offer it without cutting capacities (but apparently they cant as jsimon indicated). I dont think a prius fits the bill. I am hoping for say getting 15-17mpg consistantly, not 40 . My Bronco gets about 7MPG btw, last time I checked. I plan on putting fuel injection and some other things on it to improve that. Would you not give a rats a$$ about it if your truck got 7MPG? 3MPG? Yes, I care about MPG. And No, I dont want them to make it gutless to do it. In some cases engine technology improvements can lead to higher mpg. However, I dont think there is much more to be had with our trucks. Diesels have gotten worse in recent years (unless you illegally undue some of the emissions 'improvements') but gas motors I think are reaching there peak efficiency and little more gains can be expected. BTW none of my trucks have power anything really, both my pickups are XL all manual from windows to tranny. So dont think I've got some soccer mom vehicle.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's about the F450 though, and what's happened for the F450 is it's lost capacity. I think that's too bad. If you wanted a "scaled down" F450, the F350 was it. They've basically took most of the capacity adding features of the F450 and replaced them with F350 components (or much closer to it). What does the F450 now have that the F350 doesn't? What sets them apart and is it marketing, or is it actual components that increases capacity. To save mileage they neutered the F450. If you really wanted that you could buy the F350 (which still gets crappy mileage and the reason for the 3.31 gearing now).

Old 10-04-2009, 11:30 AM
advocate
Senior User
Is the 550 going to be the same as the 450 in the 2011's? or will it still have the bigger diffs and wheels? I may be in the market for a new one to replace my 2005 F550 in the next couple years. But if it has any less capability then I'm out. I was hoping it would have more capability in terms of towing and hauling.

All the info I have read just says the F450 is being changed this way. No news on the F550. For me I don't care too much what it gets for fuel economy. This is a real truck, it is a tool. I NEED it to do the job I assign it, if not then I have to go bigger and an F650/750 is a bit too big for what I need.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:29 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
The F-450 / 550 Chassis-cabs are unchanged when it comes to the load capacity, tires/wheels, etc. The F-450 pickups are the ones that changed.

On another note, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ford phase out the F-350 DRW and make the F-350 an SRW only truck since they've done this to the F-450 pickup. Now the only real advantage the 450 has over the 350 DRW is towing capacity so why keep both? The payload is virtually the same.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:40 PM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by jsimon724
Biggest issues I see are:
1) Rear end goes from Dana 110 to a Dana 80.
2) Front diff goes from Dana Super 60 to standard Dana 60.
3) Wheels go from 19.5" to 17" - that means no more F or G load-rated tires.
4)Towing capacity remains the same, but payload drops considerably (I forget the # quoted, something like 500-600 lbs.)
Yeah that does sound like they neutered it. Seems like they basically made it a 350 with a slightly higher tow rating.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:13 PM
slcdzl
Junior User
Originally Posted by montecarlo31
Yeah he must have missed that he's got the best superduty ever (assumes he's got a 08+). Not to mention he's from UT and VT. Need we say more.
Huh? My truck isn't a truck because I live in Utah?

Sorry, I got to go get the kids in my soccer mom truck and pick up my latte. Later.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:10 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
So you spend over $50k for a shiny new F-450 and over $40k for a big ole fiver to pull behind it and your really concerned about a couple mpg? Sorry don't make sense to me at all. Drive a small car or hybrid and stay in a motel it will be a lot cheaper.

To increase the 2011 Super Duty F-450’s top end speed, they have added new tires which designers say raises the Super Duty F-450’s top speed above 90 mph.
I didn't realize top speed was such an issue. I don't know why you'd want to go over 80mph with a heavy trailer anyway. Tires can easily withstand short term use over there speed rating anyway. I'd rather have the 19.5 12 ply tires.

Quick Reply: 2011 Ford F450 Super Duty: Loses Weight, Gains Better Gas Mileage article