Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Host

Ford-Trucks Editors is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
2011 Ford Super Duty: Fifth Wheel and Gooseneck Tow Hitch article

Hey guys,

Continuing our coverage of the 2011 Super Duty: there is an article discussing the important matter of the tow hitch.

Have you ever tried a Cequent product before? Or have you always been an aftermarket consumer for your truck? Would it be nice to have a quality factory installed hitch that is connected to the electronic system? Does that make the Super Duty more attractive to you?

Find the Articles here (scroll down to Latest Articles to find the photos): Ford Truck Enthusiasts .: Articles

The News can be found here: 2009 .: News

FTE takes towing seriously, here are the threads to prove it: Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Threads Tagged with tow

Thanks
Old 10-08-2009, 09:41 PM
New User

mcboudreaux is starting off with a positive reputation.
Which Hitch

Does anyone know what kind of 5th wheel hitch will come from the factory. I've got a 2005 f250 Harley with a B&W turnover ball and the 5th wheel companion hitch. I think it's the best thing out there. It lets you tow gooseneck, 5th wheel, or have a completely flat bed with no rails and it all swaps out quickly. I sure hope this new system will take my current B&W hitch. Has anybody heard if this will be the case, or is the new one a completely different design and hook-up. Thanks, Mike.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Postmaster

TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
Click the image to open in full size.

as a B&W owner, I'm going with...

"no"
Old 10-08-2009, 11:38 PM
FTE is my crack

jake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant future
here's the article
2011 Ford Super Duty: Fifth Wheel and Gooseneck Tow Hitch .: Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford-Trucks Editors View Post

Have you ever tried a Cequent product before? Or have you always been an aftermarket consumer for your truck? Would it be nice to have a quality factory installed hitch that is connected to the electronic system? Does that make the Super Duty more attractive to you?

1&2 isn't it the same as reese makes aftermarket equipment
3 My hitch now is not connected to the electronic system (well I guess its grounded)
4 Not really
Old 01-14-2010, 10:55 AM
New User

towhead123 is starting off with a positive reputation.
new ford factory hitch details

The new ford hitch has an underbed structure that accepts a gooseneck ball or a 5th wheel upper structure. It is primarily compatible with Reese signature series upper structures. The upper structures are to be co-branded with Reese. The holes are provided in the bed prior to painting, so no corrosion issues (per auto show display). The heights of the mounting pads are flush with the top of the bed beads. Current Reese aftermarket pads stick up above the bed beads by about 1/4 to 1/2".
Old 01-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Elder User

montecarlo31 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'll still take my B&W.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:39 PM
New User

towhead123 is starting off with a positive reputation.
B&W hitch

Curious: What features does the B&W hitch have that make it so desireable? Does it have a single under bed cross member that allows for either gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch without an adapter plate? The flip over gooseball seems like a neat feature, but that seems like the ball could get very close to the axle when you have a lot of jounce. Please advise, I would like to know.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Postmaster

TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
Click the image to open in full size.

This is the B&W companion. It is a 5th whell hitch that locks into the B&W turnoverball receiver. The setup is such that you can lay a rubber mat (or bedliner) beneath the feet of the hitch to save your bed. When not in use, there are no rails left in the bed.

The only thing about the B&W hitch that isn't 100% flat are the safety chain hook points... they stick up about 1/4 - 1/2" from the crests of the bed ridges.

The B&W is also a 100% bolt on accessory. There are 2, 3/8" angle iron rails that rest on the frame. These rails support the center member that holds the tounge weight. The rails are clamped onto and bolted to the frame on both sides. Installation takes around 3 hours...less if you know what you're doing.

If you have older trailers with the pin-through type tounges, B&W makes inserts for these trailers, too.

As per B&W, there is no clearance issue on 4x4 trucks. 4x2 F250s have a slight issue because they have no block on the rear axle (I have one of these). This issue is only when heavily loaded and the ball is turned down. Four solutions... 1) install F-350 blocks 2) leave ball up if possible 3) remove ball while loaded 4) B&W sells a blank insert for this clearance issue.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:21 PM
New User

2011FordFan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey all I called B&W. Their Gooseneck system for the 2011 Ford will be shipping by the end of the month!
Old 04-15-2010, 02:21 PM