2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

want to add an amp/sub

Old 10-02-2009, 01:01 AM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
want to add an amp/sub

well, i am trying to find the source of my water leak on the passenger floorboard. so, i have taken the carpet out and working on that problem.

in the mean time, i am wondering about adding an amp and sub while the truck is torn apart. i already have a sub and amp, but i have the factory head unit. is it possible to wire the amp into my factory, single disk head unit?

ive done a little stereo installing before, but am no means an expert. this is why im wondering if its do-able, and if so, whats the best route? i plan to put my amp behid the rear seat back, but im really not sure where to put the sub. it is a kicker comp 10". i have a DU-HA storage unit, so under the rear seat is a no-go. i would like to build a box for under the center console seat, but im not sure if there is enough room to get the correct air spacing.

as far as wiring, can it be done? i dont remember seeing any RCA outputs on the head unit last time i had it out.

Thanks for any help in advance!!!

Old 10-02-2009, 06:26 PM
mtondreo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you would use a high - to - low level converter. It hooks up to speaker leads and gives you an rca out. I have not messed with those in a while but a stereo shop would have them. Not sure if a retail chain will or not. on the best buy website it is ADCT2 (so you can search). definitely not telling you to get it there (plus they call it something wierd) but so you can get an idea of what it is. Also pac-audio.com (pacs website) has p/n SOEM-T. this is only if you are really in love with your factory radio. They work "ok" but not great. Some amps actually have high level (speaker) inputs. Hope this helps.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:49 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
thanks for the info... my amp has high level input capability, but does that mean that i would lose 2 speakers from the head unit? if i have to spend a bunch of money for a converter, im just better off getting and aftermarket head unit. im just not looking to spend a ton of money, i really dont need a great system.

i was thinking spend maybe 100-150 on a sony head unit, and then install the amp and sub that i already have. if im not happy with that, then do the door speakers down the road.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:03 PM
mtondreo
Senior User
honestly do not recall about losing a set of speakers or if just splices to receive the signal. Someone will answer i'm sure. But you would be much better off from a sound standpoint with a new head unit. Stereos are cheap enough and there are many places that give you free install parts on ebay plus free shipping. With the harnesses supplied and the dash kits - install is relatively straight forward now. Only issue I ran into was with the pac-swi used to retain steering wheel controls. They had a manu defect on a batch but talked me thru making it work over the phone, Mike.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:45 PM
GwarForAll1021
Elder User
i put an amp into my truck
i had to get an aftermarket radio but i mostly did it to get an in dash DVD
as for your stock on they make RCA adaptors they are junk IMHO. you have to do a ton of wiring and theres a good chance in a bump they will come undone...
get an aftermarket head your better off. make sure you can adjust low mid and highs (mine cant) for the best sound possible makes a bigger differance than you would think.
im pretty sure with my aftermarket radio i lost my tweeters cuz im no longer using the built in amp. i also lost my AV plug in (07 and 08 option only) and had to get an adapter to RCA for that too so i can run my ipod. if you have a 06 or older this means you can get an AV jack for you truck so that should be a plus!!!

personally i got a cheap system and i dont like it. my amp sub and head unit are bottom dollar and used so they sound not the best. id like to go back to stock if i wasnt so lazy to pull it all back out.
i dont know if i answered any questions but i tryed none the less...

Old 10-03-2009, 01:43 AM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
Metra did (or still does carry) a T-harness that includes a set of RCAs and a remote. But if you have a factory amp-powering speakers, you don't loose that.

Iirc, Metra included about 12-15' of cable for you to work with; to get you where you need to go.
Last time I ordered one it was about 40bux retail iirc. I may be able to help you find one local (or a dealer).

The line output convertors (previously mentioned) are about 20-25bux. Really depending on who you get it through.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:01 AM
canstacker
Senior User
I kept my stock head unit and added a self powered mtx thunderform sub using the high level to rca adapters(crutchfield) and updated the door speaker with infinity compoents in front and some pioneers in back. You don't lose any speakers, they just splice in. I used the rear speaker wires, easy just under the threshold on the driver side door for the sub and left the head unit to power the rest. Sounds pretty good. Just be sure to use a soldering iron on the connections and some liquid tape to seal it good.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:24 AM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
thanks for the replies guys.... i did find a line converter at my local walmart, and i think i will try it. only cost 20 bux, so its worth a shot. i think the only thing holding me back now is a sub box. i currently have a DUHA under the back seat, but i might have take it out to put the sub in. i just dont see any other way.

ow well... we will see how it turns out !

Old 10-08-2009, 06:24 PM
baitmaster
Posting Guru
I wanted more thump in my 05, so from Crutchfield I ordered a speaker/amp unit. Mounted it to the back wall, wired to rear speaker for signal, and 1 fused wire for power. Took me an hour, and it sounds great.