1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What OD will work

Old 10-01-2009, 05:44 PM
cbass139
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What OD will work

Ok, I have been searching out a OD for my 58 f100 for a little bit now and have located three options and was wondering which would be the easiest or best for me. There is a 55 f100 OD, a 63 f100 OD, and a T-86E-1 unit. What do you guys and gals think? I am sure you will need more info but I dont know what else so just ask and I will find out. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:26 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hades i thought you were talking 'bout late model auto's behind the y . no clue on the earlier stuff myself . it seems the early stuff is hard to find , and if it isn't all there , without mr. wizard and his magic wand to help find parts well .................

Old 10-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I might send a PM to "Number Dummy" Bill. He has overdrives on his vehicles and he could probably give you some personal insight and lessons learned.

I would go with the 63 myself. It is probably the closest fit if not the same as the 58, and it will have 12 volt components - important!

Old 10-04-2009, 02:33 AM
angus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The '63 sounds like the best bet. There were lots of variations of those O/Ds made for different brands, so it's safer to go with one that's really off a Ford truck. Do whatever it takes to get the matching electrical bits; the relay and kickdown switch could be replaced with generic bits, but the doodads on the transmission are hard to come by.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:19 AM
cbass139
Senior User
Hey, I waited to long on the 63, story of my life. The t86 looks like it is off of a studebaker but trying to figure out if it will work anyway. Will keep you all posted.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:00 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
56 and newer are 12 / volt, I have one in my 56 fairlane . I believe the later ones used a different transmission than the 56 . The 49 to 55 is the same as 56 the electrical is 6/volt you can change that I believe , numbers guy will know for sure.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
You can always use a vol-ta-drop if your components are 6 volt - only the relay and the solenoid are voltage dependent. The governor and kick down switch are mechanical in function. I used a vol-ta-drop on my 55 truck with a 50 overdrive and it worked just fine.

(the governor and the solenoid are the two components attached to the transmission btw)

Old 10-04-2009, 11:09 PM
cbass139
Senior User
If I picked up a car OD can I use the parts from my current tranny to make it work? The input and such are different but thought maybe the parts could be swapped seeing that i will not be using the old tranny any more?

Old 10-06-2009, 11:00 PM
jmerson
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cbass139
Ok, I have been searching out a OD for my 58 f100 for a little bit now and have located three options and was wondering which would be the easiest or best for me. There is a 55 f100 OD, a 63 f100 OD, and a T-86E-1 unit. What do you guys and gals think? I am sure you will need more info but I dont know what else so just ask and I will find out. Thanks in advance.
The T86 E with a with a Warner R10 or R11 makes a good combination. It's about 30% over.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:46 AM
norvillebob
Elder User
I've been looking into this also, but there seems to be a lot of variations? Do you get the car (6 3/8"?) input or the Truck (7 1/8"??) I'm looking to put one behind my flathead V8. then there's the mercury unit, I heard they don;t fit?? I'd like to find the easiest to swap in.

bob

Old 10-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
The long poll on that question is whether or not you have a 52 and earlier or 53. The reason is the clutch/clutch pedal arrangement. If you have a Bonus Built, you can't use the car bell housing (and thus the shorter length input shaft) because the clutch and pedal arrangement is different.

The Mercury Units are a little longer in the back and the support for the crossmember is farther back - that's all.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:04 PM
norvillebob
Elder User
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
The long poll on that question is whether or not you have a 52 and earlier or 53. The reason is the clutch/clutch pedal arrangement. If you have a Bonus Built, you can't use the car bell housing (and thus the shorter length input shaft) because the clutch and pedal arrangement is different.

The Mercury Units are a little longer in the back and the support for the crossmember is farther back - that's all.
Not to steal the OP's thread but, could you explain that differently? I'm looking at a 56+ t86 car thanny that has a 6 1\2" ish input shaft. to mate up to my 1952 F1 flathead V8. That's just one of a few I'm looking at the other is a 51 mercury truck trans.

bob

Old 10-07-2009, 12:47 PM
cbass139
Senior User
Steal away, get the info and share what you learn. I might be able to use it as well.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
No Problemo!

Let me try throwing it at you from right field this time.

If you have a 3 speed light duty transmission on your truck now, remember that the "bell housing" is actually two pieces: A flywheel cover and the clutch cover - and the clutch cover is a molded part of the transmission case. So when you remove the 3 spd light duty tranny, the clutch cover comes with it.

So, you will have to find a clutch cover (like those used on the 3 speed heavy duty or 4 speed transmission). You can not use a car bell housing or later model bell housing.

Why will this not work - won't a car bell housing work. No. The reason is because your clutch pedals actuate the clutch throw out bearing with a rotating shaft on the truck, and on the car the bearing is held and actuated with a fork that is pushed. The motions and alignment are totally different.

In order to hook up this transmission, you are going to have to get a clutch cover from a HD 3 spd or a 4spd.

You are going to have to make sure when you install that that:

1) have to be the correct depth and breadth to house your clutch without the pressure plate hitting it (should be no problem);

2) have the correct bolt pattern to bolt to the flywheel cover (again no problem);

3) it has the righ bolt pattern for the overdrive transmission (which with a T86 MAY be a problem - I believe); and,

4) it has to be the right depth (or the input shaft has to be the right length) for the input shaft to reach all the way into the pilot bushing in the back of the engine without being too long.

And I believe the independent clutch covers for the 51/52 239s (remember the 215 OHV 6 CYL in the 52 is a different engine than the 51 flathead 226) will do all those things for a light duty Ford 3 speed with a Borg Warner Overdrive attached, but NOT a T-86. You have to check the transmission bolt pattern and spacing.

So the input shaft on what ever transmission you buy is going to have to be the same depth as the input shaft on a 3 speed heavy duty or 4 speed!!!!!!

That's why I sent you the E-bay page with the OD transmission that has the Clutch housing on it - the "Lincoln/Ford" transmission. It has the same clutch actuation shaft you need.

So, to review, the two things you need to be looking for are a clutch cover that is compatible with your pedals and that the transmission will bolt to; and 2,

A transmission that has the correct length of input shaft. (the length of a 3spd HD or 4 Spd Transmission input shaft)

Es Claro?

Old 10-07-2009, 07:51 PM
norvillebob
Elder User
Well done Julie. Thanks you. so does anyone know the correct length of the input shaft on a HD 3sp or 4sp? I believe it's around 7" and I have not found a unit at that depth. only 6 1/2'ish I wonder if a modified - longer pilot bearing could be made? I'll see if I can dig up why the t86 won;t work I believe I have read that here somewhere??

I have a LD tranny I just went and looked at it and I see what you mean about the TO shaft location.

I assume you cannot just "bolt on" a OD tailshaft to just any trans?

I understand why folks do the T5 swap, a lot less frustrating.

bob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What OD will work