Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

the techs at ford tell me i need a new tcu

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 02:05 AM
crazymike
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the techs at ford tell me i need a new tcu

i took my truck to the ford dealership........yea i know, but none of the local part stores carry a reader that can read an e40d and none of them were willing to help me get one either.
the dealership tells me my computer has hit the dumps and i need a replacement. the hitch is the unit itself from ford costs 400$ or so and i dont have that kind of money right now.
im going to hit all the junkyards tomarrow and see if i can find one.
what i want to know, is what trucks can i pull a trans computer out of and have it work in mine? will the computer from a gas truck work? and what years?

Old 10-01-2009, 04:30 PM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I would think that the gassers would have different settings than diesels as the shift and rmp ranges are so different.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:01 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gasser PCM won't work. You need a diesel computer from 1989-1991. Up to 94 is still similar but I'm not sure if its combatible.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tranny Controller replacement

Note, you need to pull out your old unit and bring it to the wrecker so he can match the barcode that is usually on one of the sides of the big connector on the unit.

I looked at this a few years ago for my 91 F350 and there are several different control units that were used those years so you really need to match the code to the unit you are replacing it with. Some of the newer versions will work in the older trucks but not necessarily visa versa.

Control units from Gassers definetely won't work as they have different shift points and use some different inputs that you don't have on the diesels. Diesels shift at much lower rpms.

Have you checked your connector going to the tranny? Due to the proximity of the exhaust these have been know to melt when people forget to install the factory heatshield. A melted connector can give the appearance that the controller is faulty while in reality your shift kit circuit board and connector need replacing. If your connector is melted, I would start there before spending the $400 on the controller.

Seb..

Old 10-01-2009, 08:41 PM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the problem with the trans..... let's start there. You need an OBD1 code reader Walmart has them usually.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:48 AM
crazymike
Senior User
when i first got the details they told me they got codes for the speed sensor and a few other things, but on my recipt for the look at the truck says 23 and 67 are the codes, i think 67 was tps out of range, thats what i was told anyways, they tried replacing the tps but it made no change, they told me it would be the 400$ for a computer and i figure that it might not be whats wrong, a couple of my local pick a part yards have good return policies, so if i were to pick one up from them and switch them and have that not be the problem returning it would be no issue.
the trans holds first and wont shift at all by itself, when placed in 1 or 2 it acts accordingly and above 45-50 mph it will shift to either 3rd or 4rth i cant tell - it seems there isnt any line pressure and the tourqe converter never locks so it will hold very low rpm's but the rpm will increase a large amount with the truck moving no faster
from a previous post someone said it sounded like the speed sensor, he mentioneed something about cruise the connection to the speed sensor at the transfer case, my speedo works perfectly...and my cruise controll hasnt worked since my family bought the truck. mayabe i can get that working again too lol. i have a bunch of time on my hands for the weekend so anyhting helps
...this felt like a lot of typing

Old 10-02-2009, 05:18 AM
WEST AUSSIE 94 250
Senior User
Tech's in aus do not know what they are doing and perhaps some in US too. The tps must be tested with engine off key on and throttle flat to the boards. This is what I read out of my oem manual and I can have another look if you want. My cruise control unit fried itself and made the trans shift funny, try unplugging the conector at the servo and driving it and see if it helps. Dont worry if your horn doesnt work after you disconnect it because it earths through the servo conector.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:32 AM
WEST AUSSIE 94 250
Senior User
From What I can read in my manual 67 is for the MLP which is the shift lever position sensor. 67 can be "not in park when test carried out" or "sensor not in range". 23 is like I said before the throttle must be wide open during test on diesel engine and fully closed on gas engines.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:39 PM
crazymike
Senior User
ok so... witch sensor is the shift lever sensor? i can find all of em, but danm if i know witch is with

Old 10-03-2009, 04:43 PM
banks7.3
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
shift lever position sensor is located on the driver side of the transmission. look for the electrical plug where linkage is connected to trans.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:47 AM
ford trans tech
Elder User
23 is the fipl sensor 67 is the trans range sensor
both of these codes could have been caused by them not testing it properly
and these codes do not mean you need a tcm
a tcm from any model f250 or f350 with an idi non turbo and turbo charged will interchange 100%
the 23 will set if the throttle was held at the wide open position during the test
67 can be set by having the transmisison in any gear except park or the a/c switch was not in the off position during the test

Old 10-04-2009, 10:48 AM
ford trans tech
Elder User
i meant to say the 23 will set if the throttle was not held at wide open during the test sorry about that

Old 10-05-2009, 02:22 AM
WEST AUSSIE 94 250
Senior User
Ford trans tech, Is there any way of reprograming the shift points in an e4od to give more compression braking so as to make an exhaust brake useful?

Old 10-05-2009, 06:19 PM
crazymike
Senior User
okay, so today i finally got a hold of a vss to replace mine. i didnt actually get to test the old one (i cant find my electrical meter) but the top was broken anyways and i didnt want ti to fall apart before i got another one in. on the test drive it shifted perfectly like the day it was new, i was so happy.
a little bit later i took a trip to the post office and on the way back i stopped at a light, and all of a sudden she holds first gear again and wont shift on her own. i slipped back under the truck just to make sure it hadn't come unplugged, witch it hasn't.
but at least i'v verified my trans computer isn't dead....at least not completley. im going to go find my meter uhg

Old 10-06-2009, 10:23 PM
ford trans tech
Elder User
Originally Posted by WEST AUSSIE 94 250
Ford trans tech, Is there any way of reprograming the shift points in an e4od to give more compression braking so as to make an exhaust brake useful?
the EEC IV processor is not programmable
there have been piggy back devices offered by some companies like banks turbo you might check with them to see if it does what you need it too

Quick Reply: the techs at ford tell me i need a new tcu