Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck takes too long to warm up

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 07:13 AM
Dead Meat
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck takes too long to warm up

Well today is the first cold day I drove my truck since I bought it. I noticed it takes a while to warm up. It'll get a little above the C line within 5 minutes of running, but then won't go much higher than that, even when driving. The heat is luke warm, and I noticed, when I parked it at the gas station and kept it running, the heat got a bit hotter. I'm pretty sure the thermostat is stuck open. Would anything else cause this? It's getting a bit chilly here in MI, need to get this fixed.

If it is the thermostat, is it pretty easy? I've only done thermostat work on chevy's. The motor is a 4.9 I6.

Thanks

Old 09-30-2009, 07:27 AM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
A stuck thermostat could be the cause. You might also be looking at plugged or at least partially clogged lines going to the heater core.

See if a new thermostat does any good- if not, then I'd recommend flushing the cooling system. Sorry but I can't help you out on how difficult it is to change as I don't have any experience with your particular size motor.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:08 AM
nextalcupfan
Mountain Pass
the thermostat on a I6 is right on the top of the engine
ive never had to replace mine but it looks alot easier than a v8

Old 09-30-2009, 09:38 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not hard. Can someone please take a picture of it for him? I would do it but my internet is puke (hughes net sucks).

Old 09-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Dead Meat
Freshman User
I just bought a new thermostat and gasket and I'll do it tomorrow night probably. I just got done doing the ball joints, u joints, front bearings and seals, so I'm pretty sure I can handle a thermostat replacement. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any tricks or surprises.

I'm pretty sure it's the thermostat, because I am getting heat from the heater core, just not as hot as I think it should be. The temp gauge is what I'm concerned about. Even after running errands for an hour today, it still didn't come up to operating temp. (I'm assuming it should be somewhere in the middle?) So either the thermostat is stuck open or the guage is bad, one of the two...

Old 09-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Ricache
Senior User
A stuck-open thermostat is a lot better than a stuck-closed thermostat

My heater hasn't heated up in a timely fashion either. I just replaced my heater core.

Might have to do the thermostat like you.

I don't have the manual on me but I believe the 'stat is on the block under the valve cover ('89). Here's a PIC.

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Ricache's Album: Garage - WIP89I6 - Picture

/Ricache

Old 09-30-2009, 01:13 PM
F150xlt
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
First picture shows the two bolts that hold the thermostat housing on the front of the head.

Second pic. shows the housing removed.

Third pic. shows the thermostat. Note it sits in a small recess in the housing. The thermostat in the picture is broken. That is why the spring is popped out.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Ricache
Senior User
Better more detailed pics than than mine and much more graphic! That's a grody 'stat. Probably had other components of the cooling system that looked similar.

/Ricache

Old 09-30-2009, 01:35 PM
lillbro11
Junior User
I have an I6 and mine doesn't get above the c on the temperature gauge in 110 degree weather (louisiana). I put an aftermarket gauge and it runs between 140 and 160 in summer and in winter I'm lucky to see 140. I took off my motor fan and put electric so in the winter I can leave them off till it warms up. helps a ton just you can't forget to turn them on.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Dead Meat
Freshman User
Originally Posted by lillbro11
I have an I6 and mine doesn't get above the c on the temperature gauge in 110 degree weather (louisiana). I put an aftermarket gauge and it runs between 140 and 160 in summer and in winter I'm lucky to see 140. I took off my motor fan and put electric so in the winter I can leave them off till it warms up. helps a ton just you can't forget to turn them on.
Hmm. Anybody else with an I6 have this problem as well?

Thanks for all the pictures!

Old 09-30-2009, 03:25 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
do not break off a bolt.

it will ruin your day.

soak with penetrating spray of your choice.

optionally heat them up.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:33 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by lillbro11
You have to get that fixed or you will have serious problem in the future. Running a gas motor in that temp range will cause excess wear on the cylinder walls, the combustion chambers aren't hot enough so the motor will produce a lot more carbon, clogging up the cat, exhaust, and EGR system, and your fuel mileage is in the crapper because the engine is always running in open loop.

Your engine needs a working 195 degree thermostat.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Ricache
Senior User
Originally Posted by quicklook2
do not break off a bolt.

it will ruin your day.

soak with penetrating spray of your choice.

optionally heat them up.
Is PB the penetrating spray of choice 'round here?

Don't even want to think about breaking a bolt at the 'stat.

/Ricache

Old 09-30-2009, 04:05 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
195 thermostat is what you need as andy said.

just look at how nasty the pics are of that thermostat and housing.

the bolts don't do any better.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Dead Meat
Freshman User
I put the new thermostat in tonight. I haven't fully tested it yet, I ran out of daylight and my g/f had supper ready. But I will see tomorrow on the way to work. For reference, where does the needle on the temp gauge usually sit on your truck?

Quick Reply: Truck takes too long to warm up